my 76 710 wagon

Ironlung323

So here is the deal. I used to have a 74 710 wagon which my dad bought for 200 dollars off of his work buddy. The guy just had it parked at the back of his driveway with the windows rolled down so his cats could live in it. Besides the fact that it smelled like shit, the body was straight and mostly free of rust with about a 1mm thick coat of primer all around. Engine all there just had a bad starter. I helped him while he cleaned it up and got it running again. After we painted it in the garage he decides he wants to sell it... By this point im deeply in love with the car. hahaha It was my senior year in highschool and i had sold my 85 cutlass due to family matters. He let me have it and I was the happiest kid. I had it for three years and this last September a guy slipped into a diabetic coma while driving and caused mayhem leaving my poor datsun wrecked :/

Now getting to the 76 wagon. The guy that hit me had no insurance and went MIA after the accident leaving me with a wrecked datusn and no money saved. Even then I was always online looking for another 710 wagon. In December I found one on craigslist and this was me->  :hyper: . I went to go see it and it was in ok condition. Not running and the guy didnt know why. Luckily he held it for me and I was even able to knock the price down a little more. A couple weeks ago I went to go pick it up and haul it home.

When it was unloaded

2C90022A-D776-4CE0-ACCE-EEB415291934-706

Charging the battery

A0BD18DE-3801-4B93-B80B-14B42C6BC209-706

Got it running that same day. It was nothing big whatsoever. It looks like he changed the spark plugs and just rewired them back thinking it didnt matter where he connected everything which messed up the ignition timing.

That night I came here on the forum and came across this posting

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/38093-fs-76-710-wagon-socal/    :rofl:

I guess he tried selling it on here.

Ill post more on what I have done to it so far later.

• Like 3
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. As of now my main goal is to get it cleaned up and ready for use on the streets to make it a drivable project. So far ive just replaced the vavle cover and oil pan gasket, changed the oil and put a nice filter on it. Also checked the breaks and bled them. I have to clean out the carburetor and, check the differential and transmission fluids as well as re-surface the rotors as they are worn bad. The muffler is broken so i need one of those as well..

I also took the liberty of taking off the roof accessories like the wing and luggage rails and filling in the holes that were drilled in the car.

Heres a pic of my old datsun (the one that got crashed into). I have a lot of parts from it as well like the gauge cluster and seatbelts and such which need to be replaced on the newer datsun. I pretty much salvaged anything i could from it including the whole front end.

872729B9-5455-46F6-9BBB-784BF4E39EF6-706

E591FFFA-8A82-4C2C-81E0-897813A5BED1-706

• Like 1

Thanks ill keep that in mind. As of now I dont know what direction I will go with exactly but most likely will stay mostly stock with a few upgrades like the 280zx struts and a disc break conversion on the rear. I dont have as much money to be spending as I would like to but will look into more upgrades in the future. For now I am working with what I got.

• 2 weeks later...

Havnt posted in a while been busy with school but have had a few dates with the wagon. I was taking off the intake manifold and accidentally broke the exhaust manifold. I had no idea they were bolted together on the later 710s.. its a good thing I guess since its a hideous manifold. Heres a pic of what happened 

D3BF605A-D03F-4479-9F24-6AD0C0B4FDF7-873

its not a big deal since I have another exhaust manifold from an older L18 spare engine. Although I looked around ratsun and found out there was hooker headers manufactured for datsun L series engines?

I could sure use the glove box door off your wrecked goon!

unfortunately I sent the wrecked shell off to the scrapyard already along with the glove box door. I actually needed one as well my current glove box door is being held with random screws from the previous owner.

Damn you must have hit it pretty hard to break it. Ah well, the '75-'77 L20Bs (cars and trucks) have that heated intake method so  you should be able to find one. The earlier L18 manifold won't work with that intake unless you can seal that big hole in the bottom. Also the L18 manifold has a different outlet (two smaller pipes) while the L20B uses one large. Just get another one.

Header? don't get me started.

• 5 weeks later...

I also have the intake and exhaust downpipe from the L18.. I probably should have mentioned that.

A1A5B2FB-A2BD-4898-8501-77DE89783FCE-123

anyway I finally got them on there and now it works fine now besides the fact that its running with an open exhaust pipe that ends at the tranny mount.  :thumbup:

42FE01ED-13F6-457A-B474-266124345251-939

I also replaced a few turn signal lights

579DB760-067F-450A-A8F6-8DB82E86E8E6-939

replaced the fenders since the others were damaged, threw the hood on as well since it matched colors and painted the valance for looks.

29D2D318-6FF3-4810-91DC-EBF8D3623736-939

FEC4A145-370A-4C0B-9937-F0A3D849683B-939

did the 280zx strut swap following datzenmike's instructions except I welded the 710 perches back on instead of using the collar clamps. cutting the preches off was a pain since I had no electric saw but got it done.

C466FC1F-6C61-4FE1-B80B-44EB99BC0D46-939

anyway I finally got them on there and now it works fine now besides the fact that its running with an open exhaust pipe that ends at the tranny mount.   :thumbup:

Living dangerously, like a boss!

Nice job so far man, keep up the good work

Im working on going to the junkyard and finding another break master cylinder but havnt had the time.

Look for one from a later 280ZX, the 15/16" If you decide to upgrade your brakes to disc, you will have the "right" one for the job, and you will not have wasted your money and time to find one for the interim.

The '82-'83 280zx master has the mounting bolts to the booster on the sides. I think you mean get the earlier '79-'81 masters. They will bolt to our boosters with the vertical mounting bolts.

You're correct, Mike...my mistake. I have the vertical mounting bolts and forgot it came from the early 280ZX.