Tranny

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's still got the F4W63 510 transmission it will be the short one. The only other like it is another 510 sedan. (wagons will work but wider ratio like for a truck is all)

710 4 speeds are the same length exactly but are called an F4W63L. There were some changes internally? but it should fit and work, in fact visually they look identical.  Same gearing as the 510 sedan.

'72 and '73 620 4 speeds will be like the 510 goon for gearing.

'78-'79 A10 (HL510) are short F4W63L similar to those in the 710s and should work.

Whatever you find put your speedo pinion in just in case as it's matched to your differential.

Seems like the old 4 speed is not doing to well, it will be driving fine then I hear a chunk and a clak and even see the shift knob move.

Any advice on what to look at?

First thing I think of is a chunk lifted by the oil and being pinched in the gears. Could also be the diff. I would expect that more than a transmission from the way the huge ring gear scoops up oil. If you haven't changed the oil in either in a while maybe time to drain them... maybe something will drop out. 

I find that U joints make a constant noise or vibration as a rule. A dry one will sometimes make a PING sound on take offs when letting the clutch out.

Check the tranny mount to the tunnel and the tail is secure. Check the diff mounting bolts and the mustache bar.

For some reason I was expecting something completely different with the title, yet I still clicked it... Gotta remember the trolls live in general discussion, not general technical.

As far as the tranny, I would stick with the short tail options. Whichever way you decide to go, be sure to document your work on Ratsun. More technical information is always good for the community.

I'm being told it will work with a 4 door sedan dl will work with this application.

I'll pull the trigger on this new 5 speed, and find a drive line.

IIRC the sedan / 2 door dime DL's will work? I searched but couldn't find a definite answer

OK...

F4W63 (stock 510 4 spd.)........ 26.1"

FS5W71B 5 speed (long)......... 31.5"

Driveshaft will have to be....... *5.4" shorter

(measured between U joints)

The stock sedan 2dr or 4dr driveshaft is....... 42 9/16" OR. 42.5625"

The stock goon driveshaft is ......................... 48 7/8" OR... 48.875" 

The shortened goon driveshaft for a 71B (long) 5spd is...... 48.875 subtract the  *5.4" is ... 43 475"

The difference between a properly shortened goon driveshaft to fit a 71B 5 spd., and a stock sedan driveshaft is 0.9125"

That's less than an inch of difference!!!!!

So there you go kids. Totally do able and been done..