1200 SS aka The Baby Nova

jb1200

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Taiwan pieces fit OK, and are a teenie bit thinner/lighter weight.

Yea I'm not really worried about the fitment because the valance is a little bit wider the the datsuns so I will have to cut the end to make it fit.

It's popped up here a few times. I love it. But mostly because it's different, and I love the C10 Skylines...   :thumbup:

But it is craaaazy expensive... 

TK_HAKOTORA.jpg

That looks badass X1000000000

hes been doing a small block from the start 

I'm going way back to the beginning of the build when THIS was discussed:

jraymer, on 06 Feb 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

Details on the engine??  Consider an all aluminum 5.3 ?

jb1200 on 06 February 2013 - 10:40 AM responded:

"Yes I am also considering the LS1 engine, but I have the 307 ready to go for now."

A twin turbo 383 is the last that I heard he might use. Never too late for a lightweight LSX. B)

I'm going way back to the beginning of the build when THIS was discussed:

I'm gonna go with the sbc for right now. But as you know the swap from sbc to lsx wouldn't be that hard.

jraymer, on 06 Feb 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

Details on the engine?? Consider an all aluminum 5.3 ?

jb1200 on 06 February 2013 - 10:40 AM responded:

"Yes I am also considering the LS1 engine, but I have the 307 ready to go for now."

A twin turbo 383 is the last that I heard he might use. Never too late for a lightweight LSX. B)

• Like 1

I qouted what i thought you said to say,,  a 383 is a small block.

carry on.

Right now for this application,  he is using a traditional Gen I Chevy 307 smallblock.

A 383 stroker is commonly a Gen I Chevy smallblock, although one can obtain an LSX 383 to 454 stroker.

Although an LSX is considered to be a smallblock by some, it is a bit larger in exterior dimensions.

The only thing an LSX has in common with the traditional Chevy smallblock is the 4.40" bore centers. B)  

I have Google on my computer too,, but that doesn't change my statement one bit.. YOU said he should use a lsx he said he might consider it.

Trust me as a "ex" circle tracking Ford driver,, i hate chevys, but if ya want to come over,, i will show you my stacks of Chevy 283-400 heads so you will trust me in saying, i do understand them . i will provide lemonade or iced tea if you want..

Sorry OP but we are here to critique and discuss your build, and bump it to the top.

I have Google on my computer too,, but that doesn't change my statement one bit.. YOU said he should use a lsx he said he might consider it.

Trust me as a "ex" circle tracking Ford driver,, i hate chevys, but if ya want to come over,, i will show you my stacks of Chevy 283-400 heads so you will trust me in saying, i do understand them . i will provide lemonade or iced tea if you want..

Sorry OP but we are here to critique and discuss your build, and bump it to the top.

I assume that you are talking to me (no quote)? I don't need google (or the computer for that matter).

I go by practical experience, over 50 years of it.. 

Where did I say he should use an LSX? I have had many cars, but prefer Ford. The LSX all aluminum engine puts out tons of power on the cheap, but I personally wouldn't use one. They have terrible core shift on the aluminum blocks.

I mentioned the LSX ONLY because John considered it.

BTW, a nice cold brew will do. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

And that pretty little orange thing peaking out from beneath it all...   Come on... go buy a real filter

The orange Fram filter here with the little black grip top is the cheapie one, probably a PH-30. They use cardboard end pieces on the paper filter inside that tend to come apart in racing situations, or when left on street cars too long before a change. Fram does make an orange filter in the HP racing series (no black grip top) that has a heavier guage case, along with metal end caps, so not all Fram orange oil Filters are.bad. I have, as John here probably did, use the cheaper Fram for mockup purposes. I've  known a couple of engine builders that use the cheaper orange Fram filter to break in a new engine, then toss them for a Wix, Motorcraft, Purolator, or K&N, at the first oil change.  B)   

The orange Fram filter here with the little black grip top is the cheapie one, probably a PH-30. They use cardboard end pieces on the paper filter inside that tend to come apart in racing situations, or when left on street cars too long before a change. Fram does make an orange filter in the HP racing series (no black grip top) that has a heavier guage case, along with metal end caps, so not all Fram orange oil Filters are.bad. I have, as John here probably did, use the cheaper Fram for mockup purposes. I've known a couple of engine builders that use the cheaper orange Fram filter to break in a new engine, then toss them for a Wix, Motorcraft, Purolator, or K&N, at the first oil change. B)

Yes the fram that you see is only for mock purposes. Once the car is on the road the filter will change to a better quality filter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cleaned up the engine bay this weekend.

4FB92E2D-5016-4592-8052-35AEA7E14BEE.jpg

E8F87F85-CA41-4F8B-BDFD-A3745B116482.jpg

27FBCBB6-CF80-4DEA-A439-4F703DE70C36.jpg

Added the water header and the crank trigger system components.

8C808E1C-FBEA-48F2-B9F2-20E878C091E4.jpg

I've heard that the Dedenbear electric water pump is about the best that you can buy, the only downside being that it is not designed for AN fitted hoses.

I've heard that the Dedenbear electric water pump is about the best that you can buy, the only downside being that it is not designed for AN fitted hoses.

That's what I heard also. But I'm going with this setup: http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Electric_Water_Pumps-EWP150_Alloy___Controller_Combo__12V____PART_No__8070-details.aspx