Z 5 speed jumping out of 5th.

Dat Lurka

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my pilot bearing out with a sketchy way. I scored a line on the bearing with razor a few times. Then continued the score with a sharp flat screwdriver. I then took said sharp screwdriver, and drove it through the score line with a hammer. Split the bearing and it popped right out.

The bushing costs like 5 bucks, it should be replaced with a new one if chipped. 

You dont need anything on the splines, its the tip that goes into the bearing. The splines engage the clutch, grease/anti-seize can migrate onto the clutch from there and mess shit up real good.

They sell a puller for the bearing, or it can be rented for free at autozone/advanced.
look at post 53
http://community.ratsun.net/topic/11701-jays-72-s30/page-3

Make sure you clean/sand the end of the input shaft and test fit the new bushing/bearing to it before you install it into the crankshaft.  It shouldn't be a tight fit.  You should never have to use bolts to pull the transmission up tight to the back of the engine.   Clean up the dowels too. 

I wasn't ragging on you or anything the link was for lurkas reference. Since you mention it though...
Diy is great, just diy with the right tool for the job. There is absolutely no logical reason to remove a bearing that way when there is a correct free tool for the job. 

A cool grass roots method to remove a pilot bearing if the tool cant be had is to pack the bearing with grease then with a punch or socket extension or w/e fits into the center loose, tap it center of the bearing and the hydraulic pressure pops it out. 

Ideally it shouldn't be that tight it's true. Test fitting the bearing prior to installation is great but the dimension of the bearing changes slightly after installation. Once it is pressed in its going to be a tighter fit. In the case mentioned I used a nissan bearing on a clean shaft and it was still that tight, couldnt tell you why. Like lurka just found out with these transmissions shit is rarely ideal...

Grease will help it go in but anti-seize it what will help it come back out lol.

Using too much of anything is bad since it can hydraulically prevent the input shaft from entering.

Lol yup ! Is why I mentioned a slight amount earlier on. I remember putting WAY to much lube/grease in the pilot bushing area one time at least 11-12 years ago as well :lol: quickly realized what I did at 12:30am working in the near dark :lol: ! Why yes.. When the trans comes back out it slips out fairly easily hahaha :rofl: (keeps my stuff from corroding together and I honestly really don't like the idea of the input shaft splines rubbing the disc hub dry every time the clutch goes in n out .. Yet the lube probably doesn't stay on there long enough :lol: ! ) futile efforts lol

I've never had a problem with the lube on the splines getting on other components. Probably lucky because a very light amount :) . To think of it..I probably picked it up as a habit from other Les Schwab employees :lol: :ninja:

Driven I keep forgetting to clean up the input shaft tips ! Arch At this rate I'll never remember :-/.

Here's a ton of pics. 

I'm gonna edit them to make a how to eventually.

Not the rats nest vvv

DSCN0592_zps544aaa59.jpg
DSCN0593_zps8713172a.jpg
DSCN0594_zps5b685223.jpg

DSCN0596_zpsf479d698.jpg
DSCN0597_zpsbff45df7.jpg
DSCN0598_zpsce312168.jpg
DSCN0599_zps5d7dfa31.jpg
DSCN0600_zpse016b942.jpg
DSCN0601_zps5348234d.jpg
DSCN0602_zps8af76078.jpg
DSCN0603_zps03783b56.jpg
DSCN0606_zpsa0045a46.jpg

Rusty splines
DSCN0607_zps67acf5dd.jpg
DSCN0608_zpsedcb9b49.jpg

DSCN0610_zpsc32023c9.jpg
DSCN0611_zpsc5418755.jpg
DSCN0612_zps6abe0ecd.jpg
DSCN0613_zps90a90373.jpg

Good technique
DSCN0614_zps628fa603.jpg

Don't do this if you give a shit. It made it a hell of a lot easier. Slid the tail up into the cab and then turned it to push the other end up past the torsion bars and that's the end of it.
DSCN0615_zps7f44b45a.jpg
DSCN0616_zpsa9c3f621.jpg
DSCN0617_zps4e738ba8.jpg