Z 5 speed jumping out of 5th.

Dat Lurka

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats, sounds like its going to be a blast to put back in.

I'm taking the 5 speed from the other truck. Gotta do it all over again. But now I know what I'm getting into. Getting the trans out took a while but the hardest part was that top bolt. Guess it wouldn't be so bad if you were a little Japanese guy. I was barely able to reach under the carb with a socket to get it loose then turn it out by hand. 

The 5 speed in the little brown funk machine has never given me problems and shifts ultra smooth. I'll probably put my 4 speed in it afterwards. Haven't tested to see if it works but was told it's good. When I'm done with the swap I'm gonna tear into the one I pulled tonight. Hopefully it just needs the shaft nut torqued down and a spot weld. 

Oh, after I put it up on end it drained maybe a quart of oil... 

So I THOUGHT the second trans would be a breeze now that I have some experience. I can't get it to slide out... All the bolts are out except for the missing one on top. Perhaps there's a broken bolt in there. The other one slid right out after taking the bolts out. Any suggestions? 

after dinner I'm gonna wrap a chain around it and see if I can pull it out from the back

the input shaft and pilot bearing could just be really tight. Usually that makes it hard to install but sometimes to remove as well. I would be extremely careful chaining and pulling it, you can do damage in numerous ways. 

Be careful you dont crack the casting. They should be very sharp screw drivers, I would suggest starting out smaller. Once you get it to move the slightest bit your good, it will keep going. 

Damn man, can't believe you're having so much trouble getting that trans out. once you pop it loose and have the tunnel over un screwed from the floor, the shove the tailshaft up the tunnel cover, roll the transmission so it clears the torsion bar, and viola! Took me and one other guy 4 minuets to get it out after we unbolted it. Took 20 to get it back in.

I did it! I managed to get a screwdriver and chisel wedged in the top as far down as I could. Then I jacked it up from the tail end so it squeezed against the chisel and screwdriver. I was starting to lift the whole truck when the shaft finally came free! Pulled the motherfucker out from under there and propped it on some bricks. Shut the lights off and let the truck down. Tomorrow is install day.

3oqw55.jpg

That's the splined bearing the shaft goes into right? I'm not going to bother with it. Just going to put the spare 4 speed in so I can get it back running and driving so I can get it sold. All the goodies on the little brown funk machine are being used on my new truck Sora. I'll have a rather nice driveable Deluxe when I'm done. 

Jesus dude buy and read a FSM or a write up at the very least before diving into this shit. No wonder your having so much trouble with simple stuff. 

The pilot bearing centers the input shaft. Usually a brass ring though sometimes needle bearings are used. Never seen one on a datsun though. 
Looking at how you removed the trans it NEEDS to be checked, as does the play in the input shaft bearing if you plan on using thats trans. 

85207.original.jpg?fm=jpg&q=65&sharp=15&

I'm not an idiot. I have a fsm and it's a pretty shitty one. Doesn't really tell you how to do things just what to do. The pictures and diagrams are all it's worth. I haven't had any trouble with the simple stuff. Pulling a trans solo with no experience is not something I would call simple. What corners am I cutting? The bushing is intact and can be replace when the engine is rebuilt. Which has to be done and I'm not doing it. That's why I bought another one...  Go wrestle a frozen trans shaft and tell me it was senseless labor.  

It's all good man :)

If the pilot bushing is bad = input takes the brunt/vibrations etc = broken stuff eventually. If bad enough fairly soon as we all are aware.

If input bearing is already bad enough ... Than same result as we all know.

Frozen trans def not your fault. Gentle as possible until you just can't be anymore is reality as we all know. Damaged parts may or may not follow. 72240z is saying to just check em for your sake :). An ounce of preventation is worth a pound of cure yo .

I was 15.when I squashed an pilot bushing and input shaft bearing trying to learn the "feel" of pulling things. It was one of the best lessons learned for me. Never a problem again ! ( ore-ah-gone ) 12 years later I can lolz about it. At the time my pride got shot down lol.

Make sure to lightly .. lube the splines on the input shaft.

Many people use many different things. I'll leave that research and idea up to you ;)

Good job Lurka :thumbup:

Mechanics deserve every penny on a lot of swaps ! :lol:

I was 15.when I squashed an pilot bushing and input shaft bearing trying to learn the "feel" of pulling things. It was one of the best lessons learned for me. Never a problem again ! ( ore-ah-gone )

The new pilot on the last vg30dett swap I did for a friend was so tight I had to use longer bolts and pull it together. What a bitch, luckily the engine and trans were both out lol. 

With all the stress I just put on it it's probably shot. Not too worried about it. It all looks like new on the other truck. Old truck had worn out motor and a great trans. New truck had a great motor and shit trans. From the two I make one. 

As for lubing the shaft before installing in other truck; Would white lithium work alright? 

Man I was about ready to just say fuck it and pull the engine and trans out together. 

With all the stress I just put on it it's probably shot. Not too worried about it. It all looks like new on the other truck. Old truck had worn out motor and a great trans. New truck had a great motor and shit trans. From the two I make one.

As for lubing the shaft before installing in other truck; Would white lithium work alright?

Man I was about ready to just say fuck it and pull the engine and trans out together.

Could or couldn't be shot you would have a better feel than i.

White lithium attracts to much dirt etc

Some people use anti seize

Some use what's on hand

Some use the stuff supplied with the clutch kit (doesn't attract dirt/dust/debris.

Etc etc etc

I honestly believe anything is better than dry but I'm just a tinkerer lol not a pro. Just an opinion.

Oh yeah... I actually pull engine and trans together whenever I am able to. Some people prefer it and some don't. :)

Well just for the hell of it I went out and crawled under to look at it again. The brass looks and feels fine. It has a bit of pitting on the edge.

How about the red grease I used to pack my wheel bearings? I think I have some left, if I can find it. 

Speaking of dirt there was a literal rat nest in the front case. 

I'll upload pics tomorrow. I'm frozen and dirty. 

Wheel bearing grease sounds closer but just s little bit ... goes a long ways. It should hold better to heat. It'll just collect some crap lol but can't avoid it if its what ya got man ! You'll find opinions vary widely. I have used anti-seize in a pinch...

I'm not sure what a bit of a pitting on the edge means exactly but get some rest and look at all the stuff when you're 100%.

Rats nest haha

Grease will help it go in but anti-seize it what will help it come back out lol. 

Using too much of anything is bad since it can hydraulically prevent the input shaft from entering.