California Black Plate Legislation A.B. 462

I did some research today cause not convinced that I can't use my plates on my 1969 510 with original black plates.

And I have 2 other Datsun's that qualifies this.

To those who's interested on retaining their black plates.

If I'm interpreting this correctly, should be able to reuse my original black plates.

Model Year Date License Plates

5004.1. (a) ( )1 (1) Subject to paragraph (3), an owner of a vehicle that is a 1969 or older model-year vehicle or the owner of a commercial vehicle or a pickup truck that is a 1972 or older model-year may, after the requirements for the registration of the vehicle ( )2 are complied with and with the approval of the department, utilize license plates of this state with the date of year corresponding to the ( )3 model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured, if the ( )3 model-year date license plate is legible and serviceable, as determined by the department, in lieu of the license plates otherwise required by this code.(2) The department may consult with an organization of old car hobbyists in determining whether the date of year of the license plate ( )4 corresponds to the ( )3 model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured.

(B) A fee of ( )5 forty-five dollars ($45) shall be charged for the application for the use of the special plates.

© In addition to the regular renewal fee for the vehicle for which the plates are authorized, the applicant for a renewal of the plates shall be charged an additional fee of ten dollars ($10). When payment of a regular vehicle renewal fee is not required by this code, the holder of ( )6 license plates with a date corresponding to the ( )3 model-year may retain the plates upon payment of an annual fee of twenty dollars ($20), ( )7 that shall be due at the expiration of the registration year of the vehicle to which the ( )8 plates were last assigned under this section.

(d) Whenever ( )9 a person who is authorized to utilize the special license plates applies to the department for transfer of the plates to another vehicle, a transfer fee of twelve dollars ($12) shall be charged in addition to all other appropriate fees.

Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 497, Stats. 2007. Effective January 1, 2008. Operative July 1, 2009.

The 2007 amendment added the italicized material, and at the point(s) indicated, deleted the following:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, you're saying that:

"The department may consult with an organization of old car hobbyists in determining whether the date of year of the license plate corresponds to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured."

I'm trying to understand - You have the original 'Black & Yellows' for your 510, but the DMV won't let you use them?

OR

You obtained some 'Black & Yellows' for use on your 510, but the DMV (in their infinite ignorance) is having you jump through hoops to be able to use them?

I guess I should be fortunate, my plates are the 'Blue & Yellows' original to the car, and nicely cleaned back to the 1973 registration sticker. The car has been faithfully on non-op since I left for the Army. I plan to reuse them.

As for the consultation, they should call us here at Ratsun!

So, you're saying that:

"The department may consult with an organization of old car hobbyists in determining whether the date of year of the license plate corresponds to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured."

I'm trying to understand - You have the original 'Black & Yellows' for your 510, but the DMV won't let you use them?

OR

You obtained some 'Black & Yellows' for use on your 510, but the DMV (in their infinite ignorance) is having you jump through hoops to be able to use them?

I guess I should be fortunate, my plates are the 'Blue & Yellows' original to the car, and nicely cleaned back to the 1973 registration sticker. The car has been faithfully on non-op since I left for the Army. I plan to reuse them.

As for the consultation, they should call us here at Ratsun!

My 1969 wagon has original black plates that came with the car.

Also states it on the pink slip.

Wagon is also factory black paint that still shines. Not too many Datsun's came off the factory black.

Upon registering it last year, they gave me a hard time and tried to reuse the black plates to no avail.

That bill has been vetoed before and I made another inquiry of it today.

That DMV code is current and it implies that I should be able to use existing plates on my other Datsun 410 (not registered yet). I will go back to DMV and make attempt on getting the black plates be used again.

Will see.

Anyone else have experience on this?

when i was at the dmv last time, i asked the clerk about black plates, and she told me that you must provide proof that the black plates were registered to your vehicle some time in its history.

i other words, just because you have a '69 510 does not mean you can purchase some used black plates and then expect the dmv to register them to your car

when i was at the dmv last time, i asked the clerk about black plates, and she told me that you must provide proof that the black plates were registered to your vehicle some time in its history.

i other words, just because you have a '69 510 does not mean you can purchase some used black plates and then expect the dmv to register them to your car

Bleh, that sucks. Oregon is anal about it but not THAT bad. :(

Well, luckily I have the pink slips that has the plate number corresponding to those black plates.

Hope that's enough proof

When did you do this?

Well, luckily I have the pink slips that has the plate number corresponding to those black plates.

Hope that's enough proof

When did you do this?

a few months ago

now, having said that, if you've got a <'62 classic with the yellow plates or even older, the dmv supposedly lets you register them to your car, even if you cannot supply proof

of course, nothing's a given at the california dmv field office, especially if you're dealing with a female clerk with bad attitude and outweighs you ....

The rule is this:

If you have the original post '63 black plates for the car you ca use them. If you have Black plates from another car you cannot.

If you have any plate '62 and older provided it is the plate representative for the yr of the car.

example: A 1957 chevy can use any plate from any car from 1957 as long as the plate is no longer in service.

get it :)

History of the Legislation A.B. 462 before it was amended

SUMMARY

This bill expands eligibility for using Year of Manufacture

(YOM) license plates to 1969 or older model year vehicles and to

1972 or older model year commercial vehicles and pickup trucks.

(Existing law allows the owner of a 1962 or older model year

vehicle to obtain permission from the DMV to install YOM plates

on the vehicle that corresponds to the vehicle's model year.)

Has the 410 been registered as non-op with the black plates? If it has fallen off the books, they will give you a harder time.

Also if you don't get the answer you want, go to another dmv office or come back when someone else is working.

Some of the really small-town dmv's are really helpful - the guy at the Coalinga office helped me change the registration on my '69 roadster (it was titled as a '70). He said he saw an info plate under the hood that said it was a '69. News to me! There is no year plate. In CA you can only get custom plates with "69" for a 1969 car!

Hope that's enough proof

When did you do this?

The pink slip should be plenty of proof, but to be on the safe side, bring registration (recent or old, your name or not) that will corroborate the pink slip fact(s). Then, it shows that not only was the pink slip drawn correctly by the State, but that registration fees had been paid under the same VIN and license plate number, a number that matches the plates you have on the car, sometime in it's life.

Has the 410 been registered as non-op with the black plates? If it has fallen off the books, they will give you a harder time.

Also if you don't get the answer you want, go to another dmv office or come back when someone else is working.

Some of the really small-town dmv's are really helpful - the guy at the Coalinga office helped me change the registration on my '69 roadster (it was titled as a '70). He said he saw an info plate under the hood that said it was a '69. News to me! There is no year plate. In CA you can only get custom plates with "69" for a 1969 car!

410 has not been registered in over 10 years.

I doubt still in DMV system.

I can see myself visiting several offices for these plates.

The other challenge will be to change back to my old plates on a currently registered 510 with newer plates.

I'm thinking, is it really worth the effort? :confused:

plates005.jpg

plates004.jpg

The other challenge will be to change back to my old plates on a currently registered 510 with newer plates.

I'm thinking, is it really worth the effort?

Yes. Definitely. Screw the newer reflective plates. You have the original plates, what are you going to do with them, use them as garage ornaments?

Easy solution to Your delima.................. Fortunently You live in a high population area, which means that there are quite a few DMV offices that You can go to. Keep going from office to office until You get a responsive clerk! Somebody will "get-r-dun" for You. Yes, I have done this personally. Also notice (for those of You having older registrations/paperwork on Your vehicle) The black plates had the letters first and then the numbers. The blue plates have the numbers first and then the letters. You could tell the clerk that. Good luck!!

Screw the newer reflective plates.

You have the original plates, what are you going to do with them, use them as garage ornaments?

ill take and hang em in my garage :P

IF you have BOTH (very important!!!) original plates & matches pink slip, you WILL not have any issue with them.

why would they ever see them if the reg is current or in the system (out of it is another issue-which is what i went through to keep the blue/yellow)

if the 'tude outweighs you...get the supervisor.

i had to have the supervisors supervisor call someone in Sac. to resolve mine.

i got em on!

in CA you cannot use plates from ANY other vehicle.

my idea is to get vanity plates in the cheesy new plates, order custom "looks like CA originals" and use them. spendy at $150/pair though, CANT ship to CA either.

i have a friend who did this and so far no one has noticed.

I'll take the Redding frame off your hands. :)

Yellow plates have a different history than black plates and thats why they can have different rules. Used to be in the early days the whole plate was issued new each year up till '56. Then they used that plate until 63 when they made all switch to black plates. Thats why you will see many 50s cars with black plates. All previous year plates were supposed to be returned to the DMV to be destroyed. Of course many people didn't bother and that's why they now exist. Restorers eventually got them to let them reuse YOM plates. But when the blue plates came out, they did not require older cars to switch to new plates so to save themselves money. They are now trying to get all cars switched to white reflective plates, and they are giving you problems just to get their way even though you have the law in your favor. You can try a different DMV or ask to see the persons superior if you are still getting shafted.

P.S. Some old plate numbers are being reused on motorcycles, that and condition is why YOM plates need to be examined and researched by the DMV.