510 steering box bracket and leaf springs

mtngoat

So these gizmos look simple enough, what's the take on getting some angle stock and making one vs buying? Which commercial units are recommended?

While doing the diff I took a close look at my leaf springs. Each spring leaf end has worn a noticeable amount into the one above it. Should I ask around for leafs or have a set made? How long do these things last?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

510 wagon or 2 liter roadster?  Be specific, it might just help.

Originally the leaf springs had a [usually] woven polyethylene grease loaded pad between the end of the longer spring leaves and the lower leafs.  Guess what?  They have long vanished into Poly dust.  Squirt chassis grease into the slight depression and hope for the best.  I think I'm going to scrounge around in my old tool box and cut a few teflon [ pardon, Poly Tetra Flouro Ethynene in casean improvershed lawyer is snooping] pads and squeeze them into my rear spring set.

510 wagon application. I'm nearly certain the leaf springs on my ride have endured more abuse than nearly any (non 4x4) leaf spring nissan ever made, so I figured while I was under there maybe I ought to take a look. 350k miles including tens of thousands of miles of dirt and jeep tracks is likely pretty hard on springs!

Headed up this to one spot last summer, my lovely Canadian girlfriend tells me as I snake between two trees and around a downed one that 'this is not a road'. It is now, babe, you're in the Deathmobile!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
510 wagon application. I'm nearly certain the leaf springs on my ride have endured more abuse than nearly any (non 4x4) leaf spring nissan ever made, so I figured while I was under there maybe I ought to take a look. 350k miles including tens of thousands of miles of dirt and jeep tracks is likely pretty hard on springs!

Headed up this to one spot last summer, my lovely Canadian girlfriend tells me as I snake between two trees and around a downed one that 'this is not a road'. It is now, babe, you're in the Deathmobile!

Get a set of 720 or D21 leafs, mix and match until you find a good combination for stiffness and ride height!

Or you can get a truck add-a-leaf kit ... can raise your goon 2 inches!

This is what I did to mine!  Except I flipped the kit for more low.

I disassembled the leaf pack (using big C-clamps!) used WD-40 and a wire brush to clean the majority of the rust off of them(for more smooth!) and reassembled them with some brake caliper grease (mix of molybdenum and other stuff).  I clamped them all together using a screwdriver to center them, then put a new center bolt in and tightened it down ... dropped in and then added the leaf clamps for more stiff. 

My setup, I used the 510 wagon main leaf, 720 2nd leaf as 2nd leaf, 720 3rd(flat) leaf as 3rd leaf, then the wagon 3rd leaf under it.  I put a truck add-a-leaf flipped on the top of the pack to flatten out the leafs.

If you put the add-a-leaf kit below the setup it will be 4" higher than mine.(thats the first setup I tried)

IMAG0121.jpg

IMAG0135.jpg

IMAG0129.jpg

So these gizmos look simple enough, what's the take on getting some angle stock and making one?

Steering box brackets aren't too hard to make if you have access to basic tools I.e. hacksaw, drill, round file, grinder.

285b587e8d2be0f1caaa9145c42bddba.jpg

It's not the best photo but I made the bracket in my project car.

I used a piece of flat (approximately 2.5 mm thick) steel for this one. To get the bend angle right it helps if you can get access to a sheet metal folder, however, a bench vice and a FBH will also do the job, just the bend won't be as pretty.

If you are interested, PM me your email address and I'll email a copy of the template to you. It's on my work computer (Saturday here today) so it will be a couple of days before I can send it.

Cheers

Jason

510 wagon or 2 liter roadster?  Be specific, it might just help.

Originally the leaf springs had a [usually] woven polyethylene grease loaded pad between the end of the longer spring leaves and the lower leafs.  Guess what?  They have long vanished into Poly dust.  Squirt chassis grease into the slight depression and hope for the best.  I think I'm going to scrounge around in my old tool box and cut a few teflon [ pardon, Poly Tetra Flouro Ethynene in casean improvershed lawyer is snooping] pads and squeeze them into my rear spring set.

From volume 9 issue 1 of The Dime Quarterly:

Wagon spring pucks can be obtained
from Dan Heil. Write him at 28831
Mack St, Hayward, CA, 94545, or
mackstwgn@gmail.com. The plastic
pucks are $0.75 each and you’ll need
eight. The bronze pucks are $1.50 each
and you’ll need four.

I bought some from him around last year...  what I would like to find is the rubber bushings that the springs go into.  Mines are slowly cracking into oblivion.
  • 3 weeks later...

I hadn't checked into this thread for a bit, I find all kinds of gold! Thanks guys. Not just on the bracket but leaf ideas too!

I got a set of fresher ones for $20 more when I picked up the used rear axle. However, I'm intrigued by the mix and match approach stupid fast posted.

Ratwagon, I appreciate the template offer, I do have the requisite tools and exquisite selection of kinetic persuasion devices, otherwise known as BFH's. I'll PM you for sure.

Now, to find the best shocks which will fit under the back, it's been a long while and the current ones are toast. I have aftermarket coilovers on them as well. Up front strutwise, not sure which direction to go for my hard use on dirt roads, but I'm sure from bouncing on the front of the rig that they're toast as well. 20+ years, it's time.