timing problem please help

motavated

OK I have tried to search for this around Ratsun but there is no help with this question I have... As you may know I have have sent my engine to get rebuilt and it seems that the timing is off. The head is not timed and is off my a tooth or two. My question is do I have to take off the timing chain cover to fix this problem? I have tried to fix this problem by taking off the head gear "teeth" and move it up one. But it seems that I can put it back in... That sucks.... I guess I do have to take off the timing chain cover. But if there is a way please let me know... Thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

try the wood block method in the Haynes manual by

by turning crank to TDC and then stick a shaped block down the front cover to keep the tensioner from popping out then movivn the sprocket to the correct location.

or watch this

http://www.guba.com/general/search?query=datsun&set=5

motor and head may be timmed . Maybe just the the oil pump/dizzy drive is off a tooth. maybe not in the 11.28 pposition @ TDC ,

But youll see in the vid

Dang... I never understood what was that block of wood was used for. Now I understand... I messed up big time!!!!! I was almost done too... I guess I have to remove the timing cover now... I am an idiot!!! Thanks...

When i got my 1st L 18 going i had to also line up the shiny links in the chain to makrs that are on the cam sprocket. This after finding TDC compression,lobes @ 10 & 2 & oil pump drive @ 11.28 position. Im not a mechanic but after asking questions here i figured it out....PS the motor had been "tweeked" by the PO so nobody would "steal" the truck :rolleyes: Watch the Hainz vid but dont let the background music distract you:lol:

when i was new to L motors I tried the wooden Block(rope to pull it out!) methed. I could never get the sprocket back on the cam.

I pull the front cover

So now be careful not to hit a valve if the sprocket is off or chain not hooked up.

You llhave to break the crank bolt now.

So be careful.

did you hooke this up or the machine shop?

you sure it off a tooth?

Pretty sure... I saw your vid and it looked advanced... The place who did my engine put on the chain and well after seeing your vid, I was sure it was advanced. The v wasn't on the - while the pointer was at 0 degs.... I took of the sprocket and moved it a tooth but now I cant put it back on... ARG!!!! any who I was wanting my rig to be running on July 4. but now it would take a little longer. "9 dollars for new gaskets"... Still wanting it to be ready for the October show...

Btw I usually take of the crank bolt while the car is in gear and with blocks so the car wont move... I don't want to cause any problems with the head...

was the car running? then you cked the timming or something was happening to make you look at the timming?

when dialing the motor up to zero just keep the chain tight while the crank moves up to zero then stop, look up to ck the v notch and see wheres it at. If its advance (the V)just a cunt hair to the right that still ok. I think more noticleble on the L20s but that should be OK also.

Do you really thing the machine shop put it together wrong?

You might be right that I might be imagining things... But I took off the sprocket already and I cant put it back on anymore... And I wasn't running it yet. I was dialing it in when I saw it... It was off and not by alot but it was off... Stupid me...

if half of the V is right of the dash on the timming thrust plate but still on the dash- I would just call it good.Why I say that cause I seen some sprockets that have a HUGE V on the sprocket compared to some other sprockets.

Now if it was the other way that would more or less inticate chain stretch

remember people L20 came from the factory with sprocket set to #2 position

if V is not on the dash I say its off a link.

remeber when you put the chain on and get the guides all tight you can just place the from cober on and sping the motor around and dial back up to TDC and ck again if OK then tighen up the cover ect.......

later

prime the oil pump!!!!!!!!!

So the sprocket is on #2 on the l20b? Well I guess that was put on right... I thought they made a mistake on my l20b... Yeah it was off, it was not on the middle or even close to the v... Pump primed and ready my friend!!!! Thanks alot!!!!!

*scratches face off*

Its seems like once I took everything off and tried to install it correctly. It still doesn't align perfectly. I put the #1 piston exactly at the zero and the sprocket at #2 and at the - and v... But when I try to install the chain with the shiny chrome ends at the dots. It seems that the chrome chain will not fit fit perfectly at the bottom sprocket. I have to move the cam ahead a Little to attach the chain correctly at the bottom, but it makes the cam advance... WTF..... Its the same problem as before!!!!! What could be wrong? could it be that my chain is wrong or the new sprocket? Or is it that my timing plate is bended? I will buy a new chain and tension from a different brand to be sure. If Its still has the same problem then I will just install everything back how it was and run it that way... Any advice??!?!?!?!?

Can you also remove the bottom sprocket?

Set TDC and install shiny link on the crank sprocket dot.

Install chain on cam sprocket, set the shiny link on the #2 dot.

Now check the cam timing mark. The etched mark in the thrust plate should be just to the left of the Vee on the cam sprocket and look something like this: -v

If it is to the right, remove the sprocket and advance to the #3 dot at the shiny link and check the cam timing mark again. It should now be to the left, but if not the chain is stretched beyond adjustment and will have to be replaced.

Thanks for the response. I will try that out Mike. The thing is that this engine is supposed to be new! So the chain should not be stretched. So this is what I did... I have one dead l20b lying here and I used its used chain and sprocket. I put it on #2 and connected the shines things like you guys told me on both dots. Now I have the V notch half way in the - ! Now that's an improvement!!!!! So I'm going to keep playing with it until I get a nice combo.... I'll post some pics...

Here is some pics

I used this old engine chain as a test...

P1010025.jpg

My old chain cover... Look how clean it was until I broke it...

P1010045.jpg

And the progress...

P1010033.jpg

P1010043.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics.... But believe me the V is in half way with the - while the piston is at zero...

Not to thread jack or anything but i think my timing might be off a tooth as well. It has a very rough idle, almost like its a performance cam but upon removing the valve cover its a stock cam. Off the top of my head i think its a U60 etched into the cam. Could i just rotate the cam to correct this problem? assuming that everything else is correct?