3n71b rebuild

josh_t

So fellas, as you may remember, i had some tranny trouble a good while back. I never fixed it. I was just starting to get used to not having 2nd after 7000 miles later. But then my input shaft seal blew and so now im just gonna rebuild the thing. I already have a master kit boxed up at my front door. Tomorrow is the big day of rebuilding. The tranny is out of the car on a cart in the bay at work. Im pretty nervous about doing this. People who have never cracked an auto open tell me they wouldnt do it. People who have done it say its a piece of cake and i just make sure it all goes in the same way it came out (with the new stuff of course). I was hoping to put a shift kit in it while it was apart but i didn't order it in time so maybe later. Does anybody have any pointers for me? I've got all weekend to do his but i want to at least get it torn down tomorrow.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleanliness like an operating theater.

Use a digital camera to record what you do so you can put it back that way.

Factory Service Manual.

Shift kit???? What does this do? V8s had 'em and they may move the shift points around and raise the shift pressures so the clutches engage faster/harder. Can't see it on a little 4 banger. My 710 hammers second like you wouldn't believe. Wouldn't want it any harder.

I have been into several auto's, Not specifically a 3n71b but the same rules apply. 

As Mike stated, clean clean clean!!

Keep an organized staging area, probably a whole benchtop with a clean fender cover or low lint towel on it so little pieces don't roll around. 

Follow the FSM as you will take everything out then be working on the sub assemblies cleaning and replacing then setting aside for re-assembly later. 

The most difficult thing will be the clutch apply piston springs and getting the piston clutch seals to go in without cutting them.   I used to make a "seal slider" as I would call it out of some clear notebook separator plastic, Looks like they sell them now. 

Watch videos about installing lip seals, buy a couple cases of brake parts cleaner and trans assy lube, be patient, go slow, LEARN!!!!   lol...

Don't force anything, it all slides apart, it should all slide back together the same way. 

i dont have access to an FSM, i do know what the band adjustment should be and i have a few exploded diagrams and some folks with know-how that i work with. is there anything at all my chilton manual can do for me (i know, thats gonna be a no, but why not ask.) datsun1200 have anything for me? ive pulled apart an auto that was attached to a '74 2.3 ford. not sure if it was c4 or not tho. and i remember everything basically falling out once the front cover was off. BTW the clutches engaging harder is actually better for them since its less like "riding the clutch" in a manual but i guess ours dont have gear change overlap quite like most newer cars do and that added to the lack of torque would prolong clutch pack life, so it may only have affected 0-60 times. only slight im sure though. i still wouldnt mind putting one in it at some point though, considering they are cheap.

well my band is gone. well not really. it just happens to be in a million pieces in the bottom of my trans pan. so i gotta order a new one. :( another car-less week. i do have pics but you're only getting the bad one for now.IMG_20130118_163217.jpg

thats too easy, i already know how to turn a wrench and how to put in a clutch. there would be no learning involved. i will swap a manual in it in the future, but i want to get a goal for this car set for when it becomes a full time project instead of my D.D. After i figure out whats going on with it, i will decide what drive line will best fit that goal.

i know. its everybody's. honestly i'm having a lot of fun rebuilding this one plus i'm not comfortable just buying all the parts for a swap and hoping they'll work when they're 40 years old. at least this i know is new parts and i'm doing it according to the transmission service manual and in a clean area so my chances for success are seemingly high. and ill probably have my custom EFI system built and ready before i put a manual in it anyway.

i will admit that its no carburetor. but i think if you had the manual like me it wouldn't be too difficult for you. there's only one special tool i don't have to do it but i'm leaving that section alone since it previously worked fine. its fairly complex and there are a lot of little parts but if you've got a clean area, several zip-lock bags, a few cans of carb cleaner, and you take your time and go step by step, its not too bad. all the planetary gears and thrust bearings are really cool looking too.

Yes! And if you welded it onto a transmission mainshaft it would make a hell of cool mace.  B)

you just killed andariel with your transmission mace (diablo II joke) that would be a heavy mace. it would be a two handed weapon class, although a 3n71b input shaft would be too short to be useful.