Looking to get into the Ratsun scene. Should I start with this one?

So pretty much a long story short, i have a passion for JDM vehicles and i've always wanted to dip into the classic Ratsun era of JDM cars. I've been on the search around my area for a cheap running old Datsun for a bit here now and came across this little guy:

1979 Datsun 210

4 Speed manual

1.4 L Carbed 4 Banger

KMs unknown

25tyxpw.jpg

f1f7te.jpg

eas311.jpg

ofoj6v.jpg

1zox4ic.jpg

Now bear in mind this is what the seller told me and sent me so its not yet confirmed. But i went to check it out quickly after work the other day just to see if it was a waste of my time or not and it looks like it might be worth it.

When i showed up the guy explained to me that hes had the car for 6-8 years and lost his license a year back so its been sitting outside since. I live in Canada so i was a little worried when i heard that but i noticed that it was plugged in and did later confirm it had a block heater. He gave me the keys and said start it up so i hopped in it and cranked her over and pumped the gas pedal 3 or 4 times and WALLA, she was alive. It seemed to start fairly well and it was around -20 Degrees Celcius (68 Degrees Farenheit) so I expected the really high idle that came after that. I let it run for a bit and walked around and inspected everything i could manage in the cold night. Didn't seem to have too much rust but you never know these days with people just painting over it these days :no: . Even the vinyl roof was in good shape. Interior was in decent shape for its age as well minus the deck missing out of it but that just means i didn't have to take it out. I popped the hood and inspected the engine bay condition to my best abilities with my phone's light. I was surprised to not see the thing covered in oil seepage everywhere. Had a small seepage from what looked to be the valve cover and thats about it. Seen the new battery he claimed it has and everything looked in good condition even the fancy little blue valve cover to top it off :thumbup: . I then seen the new tires he put on before he parked it and moseyed on to the rear of the vehicle and had a listen from the exhaust. I heard a few pops or tiny backfires here and there but im figuring she wont run like a top and maybe with all variables included it might just be because its a carbed motor on high idle thats been sitting in the cold for a year?

So after doing all this, which took probably around 5 minutes, I tried to see if she'd impress me and see if she idled if i took her off high idle already so i went in the car and tapped the gas pedal and she idled for a few moments but quickly began to bog down and died. Started her back up and gave it a little gas and held the throttle a little higher and she was fine. I'm assuming it just needed to warm up but the carb could need a tweak as well.

After standing in the cold for as long as I wanted to I told the guy i'd be back on the weekend in the day when its a little warmer and i'd take it for a rip down the block to the shop where I work which is conveniently located at the end of the street so luckily not a hassle. 

So all said and done, i'm hoping to get some advice from you guys on here as i've been told this is the best forum to go for the Ratsun scene. My means are to purchase this car and do some minor work to it and have this thing on the road in a day or two and daily drive it to work. I'm going to be looking for some good deals for things like rims, fender flares, easy power upgrades, and suspension just to freshen her up and let her breathe and then i'm planning on flipping it in the fall to pay for my other projects. First world problems  :sleep:  . But who knows i might fall in love and keep her. JDMs always get the best of me.

Sooooo. This weekend i'm going to go test drive it and take it to the shop so i will update after but from what i've presented and explained so far, would you guys jump on this and if so whats the $$$$ range you'd fork out for it?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll need to do a more complete rust check, but looks decent in the pictures. The carb just may need to be re-built, or possible cleaned out a bunch. You can take some carb cleaner and spray it down the horns to remove all the surface stuff. Doing just that will improve it a lot.

You might want to check the tires for flat spots if it's been sitting for so long.

Hard to say a value where you're at. What does the owner want for it?

Sorrily, area is too wrong for anybody to give you a real answer.

Sub-500 bucks.

Worth more than that if the body is in good shape....

Actual location/province????

Also.............-20 degrees C  equals -4 fahrenheit.....not 68.... :)

Well I think I know what you mean but there's nothing JDM about this 210 or the vast majority of ratsun cars. It is a Datsun though, and in good shape for Canada. Looks like the owner kept it up and it shows.

Unless you get it for free it isn't worth the time, trouble and expense to 'flip it' in the fall. Buy for $800 spend another $900 on parts (do all the work and pay yourself nothing) and sell for $1,100. For that, keep and enjoy the fun of driving it. Handles like a snake on sandpaper. Good mileage. Easy to fix/maintain. Everyone will ask what it is. To be in the Ratsun scene you preferably, have to own/drive/maintain your own Datsun/Nissan. It's a way of life even if you are the only one in your corner of Canada.

• Like 1

To be honest buying a hardware store spray can painted 79 210 in hopes of making enough money to fund other projects doesn`t seem like sound investment scheme to this reader...Lets say you buy car for low $600. spend probably at least $300. making everything the last owner let slide up to daily driver road worthy , add  tax , license shit like that another ,,,say $200. you`ve got yourself a $1100. dollar car that is probably going to take months and months to unload to a broke ass weirdo that would actually want a car like that.....That probably want to make payments.

:hmm:

If you were buying it to bomb around in it and not worry about resale $700. might be my high bid, add some chew-er snows and let her eat..

What else have you looked at? 

I have a 79 510, and these guys are right - you'll not make any money at this particular devilish hobby/lifestyle that we lead. 

If you want it, buy it. Cost is sunk no matter what and the enjoyment you get from driving/fixing it/upgrading it/ are worth more than any car payments you could make. IMO.

That said- I have made money on 2 Datsuns out of all that I've owned. a 320 320Harley.jpg

made ~$350 on that. 

and a 520 8a9d96a4.jpg

made about ~1200 on the 520 and have regretting selling it everyday since....

/peace out!!