Thinking about joining the Goon squad...

Jasper

A gentleman about an hours drive from me is selling a 1972 510 Wagon. Has original paint that looks pretty good, very little rust. Has quite a few dents though, at least a small dent in every panel. Interior is original, and looks good other than the passenger seat. He said it didn't run, but after a little tinkering with the order of the spark plug wires, it fired right up, and stayed running for a good 30 minutes. Rockers and bottom of fenders looked very good.

efgopf.jpg

ruxiky.jpg

So, what do you guys think? Should I take the plunge and get my 3rd Datsun?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went and looked at it today and it's definitely not worth $3500 to me. To someone who wanted to do a full resto, it might though. I'll probably just take the typical route with it.

Start with getting it reliable to become my daily driver in place of the 620. Get the interior nice and comfy, sound deadening, add a decent sound system(hiding it to keep the look stock). After all that's done with, start lowering, and maybe looking into motor swap options.

Just a matter of if I want to roll in a Goon, or if I want to wait for a sedan. Option 3 still stands as well, which is finishing my 240z. I think it's a couple months away from road-worthiness though.

That things in pretty nice shape... $3500 doesnt seem like a terrible price. Im sure you could talk him down some. You shouldnt have tried to get it started; should have noticed the plug wire order was off and say you didnt know what it was. Buy it for cheaper and then fix the plugs at home. Now he can back his higher price with the idea that its a running car (minus the flats). 

Have looked at this on CL myself...just thought the price was too steep (plus I would have to transport it 650 miles or so) figured if it stayed up for a while longer, I woulda gave it a shot.  If you decide  you don't want it....lemme know.  Glad its going to someone on here!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got this thing all paid for and picked up today. I'll be posting a build thread Wednesday most likely, with my plans, more pictures, and some questions. There are some problems, but it does in fact have the original paint, and it runs. Looks like the owner before him was doing all sorts of screwing around with the wiring though, so I'll have to get a diagram and get it all patched to be inspected.

I think I can have it on the road and inspected for $50. B)

20130127121041.jpg

And if anyone was wondering, I ended up paying $2000 for it.