Stroker 2.4 carb ?s

In process of building 2.4 stroker with naps z24 crank and pistons in l20b clock with a67 head. Using 292 comp cam, 3 angle valve job, ported and polished head, eBay header, electric dizzy and 2 1/8" mid length exhaust. Now my question can I get a good powerband out of jetted 32/36 Webber on a ported intake without running lean. I know dual dcoe would be ideal but there close to what.this.whole build is costing. If not ill Fab an intake for two downdrafkts or an intake for a small four barrel. Just trying figure what best plan is. Ohh just for sh!t$ 280zx 5 Sposed behindstroker. Thanks for any help and input

James

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While you can run a 32/36 on a Z24 combo like that, you will need to re-jet it fairly heavily and you still won't make any power.  A 32/36 is what, like, 250-300 cfm.  For a wild motor like you're planning there, that isn't going to cut it.  Dual 32/36s would be my advice.  Or a 38/38.  Dual 32/36s would be a little better on mileage being non-synchronous.

A single 40 dcoe would be substantially better than a single 32/36.  Or just grab a holley and make a 4 barrel adapter.

Yes, the 32/36 is too small for a relatively high performance 2.4 liter engine.

Ford 2.8 V6 = 97 HP

Jeep 4.0 L6 = 173 HP @ 4500 RPM, but with a stump-grinder "RV" cam and a weber 32/36 it wasn't expected to be run that high.

Even stock L20Bs uses a slightly bigger carb than the Weber 32/36 (Hitachi DCH340 has larger venturies than Weber 32/36). Your L20B will turn 7000 RPM with that cam? Go with a 38/38 at least. Dual carbs will not add hardly any airflow unless they are put on a common plenum manifold. I'd run DCOE 45 with large enough venturis (single or dual, about the same HP).

Problem with a downdraft is the air has to make a 90 degree bend and hurts air flow. Do what everyone else is doing and run R1 carbs. If you're planning to cut a Z24 crank down and clearance an L20B block to make it fit you should be able to fab a simple intake for bike carbs.

Ya a lot of people seem to be talking about it but not many actually seem to be doing it lol. 
Bike TB's in general have become pretty popular though 

I think even though dirt cheap they are still way back in 2nd place to a proper dcoe set up. 

got a question about these dch340's i know they made a billion but with a couple differences, what i really need to know is how do i tell if i have the high speed enrichment if i don't know where the carb came from, and how big can i get the jets so i can use this for my vg30? never played with carbs till i started looking into the science and hassle free bullit proof operation now i must have one. 

All DCH340 used on L20B have high speed enrichment.

It doesn't need "bigger jets" to run on a bigger engine. Both the L20B and VG30 run about 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio. The other tuning parts might need changing (pump jet, emulsion tubes, etc). Carbs are not "hassle free" compared to EFI.

i'm not sure where it came from i am also told they came on the 16's w/o enrichment but would't that men i WOULD need more fuel to get 14.7:1 in 6 cylinders on a "stock" 4 cylnder carb? forgive my stupid questions been dealing with EFI since i started working on cars and while the theory is great if you have all the tools and crap it is easier but it those electro parts giving out when you can't find another for days i can have a set of points and a extra rebuilt carb in the trunk and be able to fix it sidecar style

Haha nevermind found r1 carbs on eBay for anywhere between $140-200 shipped. Manifold looks pretty straight foward. Is there a minimum length that the runners need to be? Just wondering about clearance to the master cylinder. And saw that the airflow n fuel are controlled by vacuum will the l20 with 292is cam make enough vacuum to run properly? Thanks for all input so far definitely don't want to put this much time and patience into a motor for nothing by running wrong Carb setup.

Hey, we used to spend alotta time in Miami every summer as kids ,, my aunt lived across the street from  the college..My mom and dad grew up in Fairland and Wyandotte till they moved to WA as adults..

Welcome to you