1971 Datsun 521 Snack Shack

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol thats funny ... his wife works nihts also and she was napping .......hans was throttle tuning the blue car withthe new carbs and was hitting hard......after we stopped i was thinking ...hmmm i hope that didnt wake up his wife..... two minutes later she shows up to leave for work .... calling us names ....the blue car was snapping and popping ......oh poor girl.... i was 10 at night on a sunday .... its pretty rural though...

You're lucky. I did the same thing when I did the head in my 521 when I was living in a townhouse tha had homeowners bullshit. Woke up a neighbor at 10:30, he came out and gave me some shit. Next day I get a call about breaking the rules cause you're not supposed to work on cars. Fuckers. They threatened to tow my truck. I got the hell out of there.

well sunday I went to work on my Datsun and this happened ....

null_zps58218928.jpg

null_zps134c0128.jpg

in just a little unde r6 weeks I got a 1000 miles on the bike ...... gonna try to get to 2k before x mas...hans and I put about 120 on ours sunday !!! woot woot funner then sex well maybe not funner but close

null_zps6549b05d.jpg

but then when I left this ....

IMG_20131007_203537_zps22b9d713.jpg

I went to work and hans had the day off and when I got there beer in hand it was at this point

null_zpsb9a11d01.jpg

one notch done and the shock crossmember in ....drilled and re installed in frame and tacked in.... so we cracked some beers trimed the other side out and finished the notches ... thank u hooligan for the material ..... fyi ratsun the 5 inch is perfect size but we heated and opened it up a bit to give a little wiggle room for the ubolts and axle...... so once that was done on  to the next abortion ... making the Datsun lower ........yeah I know left handers only for me soon .....sigh why am I addicted to having the lows lower....pretty sure im making my truck undriveable .....at least un turnable....

um somethings missing here ....

null_zpsfba84f30.jpg

fuck me we plated the inside of the frame rail hmmmmmm tis is getting weird

null_zps9d45802a.jpg

drilled some holes

null_zpsf8860f82.jpg

test fit

null_zps120be626.jpg

boom new rear crossmember

null_zps17de2b12.jpg

you can see in the pic of the boxed in rail, the tube sitting on the rail is the rear upper shackle mount ...shaved clean we are sinking that in the frame rail right in front of the rear most crossmember gaining about 1.5 inches of height ...might have to swap pit the four inch blocks ....

some concerns .... the one piece driveline is gonna rub the cab ......don't really wanna new tunnel so just gonna trim and hope as low as it will be that I can make it work ... I think it will be fine but might go back to two piece if its a real issue ...... gonna run air shocks in the rear for now....need the number for those ......over all I was surprised how much we got done today if we had a hole saw 1.75 we could been finished but we called it a night fucking love Datsun time ..... hans is a good friend in my ciurrent situation ....... I know I give him a hard tme about all the time I have sunk into his sedan painting but he is a good friend to put time on my stuff while im at work ..... his help and our skills compliment each other and we can get some shit done when not stoned or drunk or flying planes or riding bikes.... he is not a internet guy so I handle his thread on his car but if he ever read this ... thanks dude yor help has been immeasureable....

null_zps332828a0.jpg

• Like 2

oh yeah ....ruined a rear window being lazy ......and I have rolls of $120 welding spark paper to protect them .......facepalm.....

and before goldfish points it out ....yes we plasma cut and welded all day and night and never moved the gas tank .......I noticed when I was grinding the rear cross member that It was still there... I guess for once im just stupid and lucky!!!!!!

damn man!!! thats some progress!!! 

thanks man ...glad to finally be making something besides waves on the internet....those are the 720 springs u scored for me woot woot.....

got a little extra motivation in the happy dept lately ......so things are more enjoyable right now .......

Woa! Sick bro. Looking forward to seeing it on the ground.

One question, I've thought about doing this similar type of notch where you don't have to cut the bed for the giant trapezoid that most people do but thought it might weaken the frame at the notch. Are you reinforcing the notch or is it strong enough the way it is?

its prolly fine I run a bridge notch like that in my mazda but I need more clearance ...we thought about reinforcing it but for now im running it this way ...... im adding a trailerhitch too but only to tow my bike or jet skis .... I think it will be fine ....for now ...remember this is just temporary

I have thought about that bridge notch, but the way I use my trucks, I just think I would bend the frame going over a speed bump or something thinking that this much weight won't hurt, how long has your Mazda had this type of notch, have you hauled anything substantial?

When you put that sleeve in the frame for the rear shackle, do you beef that area up, or is that strong enough for normal use?

We plated the inside of it ...... It's bullet proof ...... Hans went nuts on my truck ...... Trimmed te whole front end out for clearance .. I showed him how I did his other frame and he went to town ..... Since taking my 225 miller welder and plasma over there he has gone nuts on my truck in his days off..... Actually now that we trimmed the front end we are gonna try to build some sets of those stepped control arms u built wayno.....I need some pics of them wayno ..... The Mazda bridge notch takes a beatin... I hailed a ton of shot and it's still great some almost fifteen years later

• Like 1

We plated the inside of it ...... It's bullet proof ...... Hans went nuts on my truck ...... Trimmed te whole front end out for clearance .. I showed him how I did his other frame and he went to town ..... Since taking my 225 miller welder and plasma over there he has gone nuts on my truck in his days off..... Actually now that we trimmed the front end we are gonna try to build some sets of those stepped control arms u built wayno.....I need some pics of them wayno ..... The Mazda bridge notch takes a beatin... I hailed a ton of shot and it's still great some almost fifteen years later

I did not build drop arms out of 521 LCAs, Mike K. did though, I just took his idea and made a set out of 720 LCAs, my 520 is sitting on a 720 frame, so is my 521 kingcab for that matter, 720 frames have so many upgrades available, ball joints, disc brakes, power steering, available parts, and diesel engines.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

These are the first set I made, they still have the shock mounts in these photos, if you go to my 520 thread in my signiture, you will see how far I actually went.

DSCN1537.JPG

DSCN1542.JPG

DSCN1544.JPG

DSCN1545.JPG

This is my lower shock mount, I use stud/stud datsun roadster shocks, they are the shortest ones I could find, and allowed me to keep the upper stock shock mount, you can see that the 720 shock mounts were cut out.

DSCN0347.JPG

I used the sway bar mount hole to mount the shock, I still have to figure out the sway bar, or just delete it.

DSCN0355.JPG

• Like 1