To trade or not to trade!?

A guy in NY is offering me a very clean all original good driving 1972 240z for my straight- bodied daily driver 1973 620. He is also willign to drive down from NY and pay me boot for the truck.

Without further delay: OICS!

Mine:

dat10_zps96e9823f.jpgatl2_zpsf8f6a93f.jpgAtl1_zpsbe66f463.jpg

His:

imagejpeg_4_zpsedfe081f.jpg

imagejpeg_3_2_zps57b0793f.jpg

imagejpeg_2_5_zpsf7379678.jpg

IMG_20121003_125152_zpsb313b541.jpg

IMG_20121003_123302_zpse994b041.jpg

IMG_20121003_123245_zps93c6c982.jpg

More oics to come, opinions please!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit i am a little attached due to all the work i've put into the truck.. plus since me, matt, george and jose have 620s its cool to go to shows and stuff together, but ill admit im split on the trade, if i keep the truck i can have a built l20 5 speed in it soon...or i can hang onto the 5 speed and put it in the z.

lmfao I cant believe I'm seeing that z on ratsun. I know that car, a kid in NJ bought it from another who also had a rb25 s30 for sale. Then it sat sat sat because the kid didnt know wtf he was doing. Me and others tried for a while to help him tune the su's but he was in central jersey and I wasnt going to drive down just to hold his hand. Eventually I quit trying to help and he, came to terms with the fact he was lazy, didnt know anything and bought a rb20 s13 instead. 

It wasnt driving well at all last I heard about it. Because it couldnt make it to me an hour north to work on it. Those pics are of it at the kids house in NJ too. You can see the s13 he bought in one of them.

Are you sure its in NY now? He was having a lot of trouble selling it since it was in worse condition then he got it as well as the fact it was on craigs for months, it got stagnant. He was asking like 4k for it lol.

Maybe it made it very recently to NY to an owner who had a clue and its running well now. Though its suspect that the person in NY would buy it and want to trade it right after. I'm surprised I didnt hear about it changing hands again knowing the car and being a member of the nyzcc lol.
I think the trade is even actually but thats if the z really is good running and issue free. It def looks pretty original. Idk if there is any rust, supposedly it was a solid car. Just know you got way more time and love into your 620.  

If you decide to make the trade or another in the area feel free to hit me up. 

lmfao I cant believe I'm seeing that z on ratsun. I know that car, a kid in NJ bought it from another who also had a rb25 s30 for sale. Then it sat sat sat because the kid didnt know wtf he was doing. Me and others tried for a while to help him tune the su's but he was in central jersey and I wasnt going to drive down just to hold his hand. Eventually I quit trying to help and he, came to terms with the fact he was lazy, didnt know anything and bought a rb20 s13 instead. 

It wasnt driving well at all last I heard about it. Because it couldnt make it to me an hour north to work on it. Those pics are of it at the kids house in NJ too. You can see the s13 he bought in one of them.

Are you sure its in NY now? He was having a lot of trouble selling it since it was in worse condition then he got it as well as the fact it was on craigs for months, it got stagnant. He was asking like 4k for it lol.

Maybe it made it very recently to NY to an owner who had a clue and its running well now. Though its suspect that the person in NY would buy it and want to trade it right after. I'm surprised I didnt hear about it changing hands again knowing the car and being a member of the nyzcc lol.

I think the trade is even actually but thats if the z really is good running and issue free. It def looks pretty original. Idk if there is any rust, supposedly it was a solid car. Just know you got way more time and love into your 620.  

If you decide to make the trade or another in the area feel free to hit me up. 

Apparently he paid like 4k for it and he says it runs great....however i told him that if he comes down here im not going to just say yes and trade, theres gonna be a chance i say no depending on how it drives and such. Im interested to hear as much as possible from you.... this guy has a 92 240sx with an rb swap as well.. but its red...im guessing its a different guy but who knows.. from all of the frame rail pics, etc. it seems very clean.

Ya he said he sold it months ago, my bud just asked him. What happened is he actually traded the guy in NY s30 for rb s13. Which makes sense, because there was no way he was going to get 4k for the car. The guy you may trade with is just saying 4k because thats what the other kid wanted for it lol. 

It looked clean from what I saw of it and honestly from the driving issues it seemed like a good tune would have solved them. The interior looked clean to me beside missing some of the vinyl. I saw nothing of the undercarriage. 

Honestly if hes willing to drive to you knowing its not a def sale then what do you have to loose? I feel the trade is even so if hes willing to also do cash? All the better for you, I'm very sure things will need to be refreshed to daily the Z so use the cash for that. 

To me if I couldn't hear it, drive it and inspect it myself to make a decision I would say hold off on the trade keep the 620. If the guy was a member here or in another forum and you knew what was done to the car then why not. I'm just saying this because I've had a disappointment when I picked up a Z once. In the pictures it looked ok owner said it ran good with minor issues and when i got there it was a total POS. Just be careful man.

If it doesn't have any rust issues, I'd go for it.  Non-rusty 240z's are getting rarer for the common man to afford on this coast, I think.

The question is:  What's with the ugly ass paint job, and is it hiding bondo?

Yeah, the paint job is a little weird.

To me if I couldn't hear it, drive it and inspect it myself to make a decision I would say hold off on the trade keep the 620. If the guy was a member here or in another forum and you knew what was done to the car then why not. I'm just saying this because I've had a disappointment when I picked up a Z once. In the pictures it looked ok owner said it ran good with minor issues and when i got there it was a total POS. Just be careful man.

Trust me man, i feel that, i already see that the hoses on it are old, that'd be my 1st fix since ive blown 2 heater hoses in my 620...

According to this guy in reply to all the jersey shenanigans

He got it from the kid who traded the s13 for it, put a couple hundred bucks into tuning it up and such and now it drives great.

If the guy is going to drive it down here, then you have a chance to check it out first hand.  So that a mute point.  Zs are certainly worth more once they're fixed up.  You can hope that the guy that painted that black is an idiot and didn't rough up the orange underneath.  Power wash it off.  More common than you'd think. 

I'd say they're equal.  Comes down to what you want more.  I saw your ad on CL.  It's a nice truck, but I don't think you'll get 3k out of it.  Hard times are still here and a lot of folks don't appreciate a nice old truck that isn't a Chevy. 

A straight six is nice, but so is a damn truck bed.  The truck can get a L20, but the Z could get an L28 just as easily.  It's totally a question of want.  Which do you like best?  The problems with the one you like best with be marginal as you will enjoy fixing them, if you enjoy the car.  If you're hesitant, it's probably best to just not do it.  I've had quite a few trades that I was iffy on, went ahead and did, and regretted later.

What I'm saying is, don't weight statistics and opinions.  Go with what your gut says.  Cars are about having fun, go where you see the fun is.

Ya good english there Turbojovi lol
They are valued about the same as they sit. 

Ya its doesnt surprise me. Thats what was so frustrating about trying to help the last kid with it. He left it sitting for months and we were trying to get him to do a basic tune up and su tune. Which is what we knew would have it on the road.  

Original goes both ways, ya of course hoses, brake attention, some bushings I'm sure like on the the rack will need to be changed etc... Its not in dependable driving condition without all that shit being done. 

I'm not saying shenanigans either no one is really lying or anything that I know of but the car does have an interesting history. The last place I thought I would see it is on ratsun lol.  

Well considering you have an extra 620, you should make the trade. I only say that because it is a 240 and looks to be in pretty good shape.

But your 620 is worth a lot more than that Z around here ( IMO) . Sure the Z's might cost more on craigslist, but there are assloads of Z cars. They're not rare, not even the 240 on the east coast. But the 620 is rare. And, it's a truck, trucks are the best. I'm getting a Z, but I would never get rid of my 620 to get a Z.

Do you have something to drive if you get the Z?

I have both plus a daily driver. I am almost using the 620kc as a daily driver. The 620 is a fun little truck. The 240z I take it out to the local track.

I would check it every where for rust and repaired areas that could be hiding bondo and fiberglass, you know the drill.

I would check it every where for rust and repaired areas that could be hiding bondo and fiberglass, you know the drill.

Especially being a yankee car. 

I saw a 2006 pontiac in the scrap yard the other day that was from NY. Nice looking car with a great running engine The passenger side control arm had literally rusted off the frame.

Well considering you have an extra 620, you should make the trade. I only say that because it is a 240 and looks to be in pretty good shape.

But your 620 is worth a lot more than that Z around here ( IMO) . Sure the Z's might cost more on craigslist, but there are assloads of Z cars. They're not rare, not even the 240 on the east coast. But the 620 is rare. And, it's a truck, trucks are the best. I'm getting a Z, but I would never get rid of my 620 to get a Z.

Do you have something to drive if you get the Z?

Eh.  There's a guy an hour east of me with 16 620s parked in his front yard with some 520s and a 320.  Ten minutes down the street from him, there's a woman with 2 520s.  About 30 minutes past there, there's a guy with a 14 acre plot on a mountain top with a dozen or so 520s and 620s.

Anyway, OP you should sell me your extra 620.

Eh.  There's a guy an hour east of me with 16 620s parked in his front yard with some 520s and a 320.  Ten minutes down the street from him, there's a woman with 2 520s.  About 30 minutes past there, there's a guy with a 14 acre plot on a mountain top with a dozen or so 520s and 620s.

Anyway, OP you should sell me your extra 620.

Phone number and information or it didnt happen.