521 headers what are these worth?

konig209

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously doubt that this header was actually in a 521, you may have found it by a 521, but my guess would be it's a 510 header.

If the torsion bars were removed from the 521, it might fit, but then you would have no front suspension, did the truck have coil overs on the front?

I ignored the idea it was a 1980 4X4 header, as that would have had round exhaust ports.

Don't take it even if they offer YOU $140 to take it!!!!!

hearervsstockL16-18-1.jpg

Headers may make an improvement at high RPM where the stock manifold may be slightly restrictive. Take a good loo at the picture above of an L16/18 exhaust manifold. In no way could it be considered restrictive. Nissan went to a lot of trouble to make basically a cast iron header and no aftermarket hunk of junk is going to improve on it. There is no hidden hp in a Datsun motor just dying to get out and all it needs is a header. Your L16 manifold is working just fine and you don't have to do anything. It will NEVER wear out, won't rattle loose, or leak, it's quieter and cooler and best of all it fits perfectly! The only advantage a header has is it's lighter. So if you want to spend $75 for each hp gained and a day installing it to save 5 pounds of weight fly-at-er. Hint: save the old manifold so you can put it back on.

Don't take it even if they offer YOU $140 to take it!!!!!

Headers may make an improvement at high RPM where the stock manifold may be slightly restrictive. Take a good loo at the picture above of an L16/18 exhaust manifold. In no way could it be considered restrictive. Nissan went to a lot of trouble to make basically a cast iron header and no aftermarket hunk of junk is going to improve on it. There is no hidden hp in a Datsun motor just dying to get out and all it needs is a header. Your L16 manifold is working just fine and you don't have to do anything. It will NEVER wear out, won't rattle loose, or leak, it's quieter and cooler and best of all it fits perfectly! The only advantage a header has is it's lighter. So if you want to spend $75 for each hp gained and a day installing it to save 5 pounds of weight fly-at-er. Hint: save the old manifold so you can put it back on.

Don't listen to him, if they offer you $140.00 to take that header, you take it, and run.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Don't listen to him, if they offer you $140.00 to take that header, you take it, and run.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

OK take the money and once out of the parking lot throw in the ditch.

Up to you but you're paying $40 to rip your exhaust off and cut into your good down pipe. Buy a new manifold gasket. Buy a collector so you can connect it up. Stainless nuts and bolts for the collector. Now drain coolant and remove top hose, loosen the driver's side motor mount and jack the motor up on that side. Remove the driver's side torsion bar and slip it in. I did one on my 521 in the late 70s. Figured a couple a few hours. Got apart Sat and finished Sunday. All that work and bullshit and the only change was that every few weeks now, I had to tighten the collector bolts. What hurt was that half a weeks pay went into it. So I payed for that lesson. Took a couple of months to want it back the way it was but it was so much work and by then I had thrown away the manifold.  

Mkays i see.

Well the guy at the wrecking yard knows my dad.

My dad called for me and asked for the price on the l18 with a87 head said 150. Take the motor and headers for 190 lol o_O anyone looking for an l18?

Ok, I will tell you about my header experiences, I have had shorty headers on my truck since I bought it back in 1995, I ripped out the L16, and replaced it with an L20b, dual SUs, and a header, I wore the L20b out last year and replaced it, it burned to much oil after being totally abused for 15 years, I mean I beat the shit out of that engine, the dual SUs I bought from nissan new, and they are starting to have issues, but are still serviceable 15 years later, I have had at least 3 differant sets of headers, 2 of them bought new, of which the first two were cut apart and repaired by me, because they start to leak where the four pipes become one pipe.

These headers are noisy, but I have to say that the dual SU noise drowns out the header noise, so that is a wash.

I also have a highly modifed head, very big valves, and the head intake is ported to the SU manifold, this engine breaths, so I couldn't bring myself to put that L16 exhaust manifold with that small pipe on my engine, I could have had the stock manifold opened up for a bigger exhaust system, but back then I didn't have a lot of money, so I made my own exhaust system, which is just about done for, when I have a new exhaust system made, I will be using a opened up stock L16 exhaust manifold, even though I have another brand new header for the truck.

BTW, I never got more than about 3 years out of any of these headers before they started to leak and needed repaired, that header in the photos you published is a differant type of header, as mine looks like the left one in datzenmikes photo below.

Ah a 5 speed swap. Now you're talking!!!! FS5W63A dogleg from a 200sx (first gen) is likely the easiest but not many around and there aren't a lot of gearing options with it. A later FS5W71B from a 620/ first year 720/280z (or zx) or an 810/Maxima can be more work but there are lots of them to choose from and they are a stronger tranny..

It looks like an L block header to me also, but it does not look like any 521 header I have ever seen, I have seen lots of 521 headers in the wrecking yards, but they have all been shorty headers.

I have seen 510 L block headers that looked similar to the one at the start of this thread, but that doesn't mean that the header in question here won't fit a 521, I just don't see that kind of room down there for that many tubes to get threw, on either side of the torsion bar, and the 2 pipes are side by side.

2013-01-02141612.jpg

That header is definately not for a little datsun engine. It actually looks like a Mopar(dodge) flange. So.....pass. That wrecking yard sure is proud of those old headers....lol!

273/318/240/360 header. look where the mounting bolt holes are.

Picture_016.jpg

L4 cylinder.

2013-01-02141612.jpg

I know for a fact that header will not fit in a 521 with out pulling out the ebrake and pounding one of hte pipes nearly flat to clear the post that the ebrake lever was mounted on. When I bought my truck that exact type of header was in it and it was not worth it.