73 S30 Turbo resto-mod

Finnally got electricity installed and hooked up on my new garage. I can finally start my 240z build. 

Ill get some pictures in the morning. 100% metal. no bondo or fiberglass. Car is solid, minus the floorpans and battery box which are both non-salvageable. Ive got the whole car stripped down to practically nothing but metal. Sanded it, now getting ready to cut the floor pans and other corroded areas. The spare tire well is also corroded, i could probably break it off with one good hit. good thing im doing away with the fuel tank. My neighbor is the welding instructor for the college. Hes got a great pretty weld. Hes working on a fuel cell for me. Ive attempted to contact Al, from Als body work in austin TX. but he will not answer. I love mark rolstons 240. Im wanting to have some flares like his. Does anyone else have flares like his? ive never seen anyone else with those molds. My build outcome is going to be somewhat like his, minus the rb26dett. i already ordered my Cowl Hood. I now need my Air dam. I have already got my l28et  with a 5 speed. Im stummped on what to do about a wiring harness and a computer system? do they sell aftermarket wiring harnesses for a 240? ( the original harness that came off of the donor ZX is chewed and mangled, rats! -__- )

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

easiest thing is to just pick up another turbo harness, your not going to find any brand new plug and play harness for it.

running the factory L28et harness and ECU in the 240z is easy. the engine harness is a separate system.

theres less than like 5 wires to tap in for power ect for the ECU.

My Donor 83' 280zx

0102131014_zpsb7e3a8df.jpg

0102131045c_zpsf715a500.jpg

0102131045_zps26577b08.jpg0102131046_zpsb4e7c124.jpg

0102131047_zps18daad8d.jpg

0102131046e_zps559f1b6f.jpg

0102131046d_zpsb357d269.jpg

0102131046c_zps5acf732d.jpg

0102131046b_zpsf2cebf0a.jpg

Wheel well is rusted out bad... along with floor pans..

0102131046a_zps11062f48.jpg

Ive got to finish sanding down the body panels

0102131023_zps11ff0477.jpg

Donor 73' 280z with l28et

0102131047a_zps6022324b.jpg

l28et

0102131048_zpsee4d444f.jpg

The wiring harness is pretty chopped up on the 83'. im going to have to find another one i guess.

0102131049a_zps42f132da.jpg

Interesting intake piping choice there lol

A r180 is fine, unless you spend all your timing spinning one wheel. A stock l28et pushing its max boost would break before the r180 did. 

The r200 is 10lbs heavier but it has cv axles so thats always nice. You need a 280z r200 mustache bar and either 810/maxima companion flanges,  to adapt the zx companion flanges or use the modern motorsports cv adapter. The zx stub axles are not used in any case. 

Interesting intake piping choice there lol

A r180 is fine, unless you spend all your timing spinning one wheel. A stock l28et pushing its max boost would break before the r180 did. 

The r200 is 10lbs heavier but it has cv axles so thats always nice. You need a 280z r200 mustache bar and either 810/maxima companion flanges,  to adapt the zx companion flanges or use the modern motorsports cv adapter. The zx stub axles are not used in any case. 

Haha why do you say interesting? is that a good thing or a bad? lol

and alright ill shop around

+1 on the piping I've never seen it ran like that before. A stock l28et isn't going to be enough to break the r180 but I'd probably go ahead and swap to the r200 just to do it. That way if you decide you want an LSD you'll have more options as well.

Good or bad is up to you, it works. Most go out the same side. 

You do get more lsd options with a r200 but they are pricey options lol. I mean subi r180 with modern motorsports adapters and its a wrap. I think r200 was a lit stronger of an option when you could still nab z31 clsds for a few hundred bucks. Now they are so taxed people are asking over a G its crazy. A lot of pumpkin options go both ways. 

If you dont need the money from selling it go for it. To me not even for the dif atm but for the cvs lol.   

Great clean frame to start with. I'm going the same route on the engine set up that you are planning to do :) Planning on using Megasquirt II V3.0, it's a full stand alone with the same grate results as any big name stand alone. Look into it at diyautotune.com Looking forward for updates :)

Great clean frame to start with. I'm going the same route on the engine set up that you are planning to do :) Planning on using Megasquirt II V3.0, it's a full stand alone with the same grate results as any big name stand alone. Look into it at diyautotune.com Looking forward for updates :)

no bondo whatsoever. thanks. :) ive heard great things out of megasquirt.

Ive pulled the differential and rear suspension off of my 280zx donor. I was wondering if the rear suspension would fit. the width seems to fit perfectly. i would have to modify the mounts for sure. is it worth the trouble of replacing it? i also cut out the spare tire wheel well so i can begin designing my custom fuel cell.

any help on a fuel cell?

ill post pictures tonight.

Why on earth would you want to put ZX rear suspension on an s30? The ZX semi trailing arms are horrible If you're doing anything except goin straight, and even then the squat kills. Get new bushings for the s30 some springs an good shocks and call it a day. Or go coil overs if you're fancy. :P

Why on earth would you want to put ZX rear suspension on an s30? The ZX semi trailing arms are horrible If you're doing anything except goin straight, and even then the squat kills. Get new bushings for the s30 some springs an good shocks and call it a day. Or go coil overs if you're fancy. :P

haha not sure. i figured it would handle better... something a little bit more modern. ive never driven a ZX. 

Modern? Not really lol. In a 280zx you get horrible snap over, out of corners, the only other way to really remedy that is to get springs that are stiff enough to eliminate the squat, which in turn destroys any handling there might have been lol. IMO, stay with the stock suspension, if you're not happy with the stock set up, just about the entire suspension can be redone with aftermarket replacements. The ZX's don't really have that support so you'll be stuck lol. But that's my .02c

• Like 2

Keep your stock s30 rear suspension if you can :)

LOTS more aftermarket support and options .... brakes .... arms .... mounts ... etc :D

They handle damn good the way they be ;)

Its not worth the trouble ... more of a step backwards (honest just my opinion :) )

Put the zx suspension up for sale or keep for another project.:-)

Nice datsun shell and tractor !! :D

For fuel cell you can use some 3/4" - 1" mild steel square tubing ... foam padding (between cell and mount) ,... and just follow the outline of the original rear frame when welding in the tubing.

• Like 1