L20b head and z22 block

DATSUN671

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shirley you have some insight..... :D

You would know more about this than I would, I just copied what you guys had done.

This poster says that he has an open chamber head, so I have not a clue which pistons should be used, as I had a peanut head, and used stock Z24 pistons for I beleave an 8.9 to 1 compression ratio, he has an open head, I have no idea what the CR would be using the same pistons.

But I suspect you might know.

Shirley you have some insight..... :D

With an open head, I run ka24 pistons. Same size as the z24 with a bit less dish. The 240sx pistons are full floaters, so hone the small end of the rod to .001 bigger than the pin and your set. This will give you 2289cc's. 

And stop calling me Shirley.

how much horsepower would i make with a L20b head and z22 block setup....

wat pistons would be better to run in the z22 block...i have a w58 open chamber head...

is it possible to port and polished a L20b....

The Z22 is 10% larger displacement than the L02B so you could expect about 10 % more power. (all other things equal) The L20B makes about 90 RWHP so an LZ22... maybe just over 100 hp (at the wheels). Yes some L20Bs are rated at 110hp, (mine is) but this is gross or brake hp measured at the crank. This is fine if both motors are rated in the same way. Today's cars are measured at the rear wheel (RWhp) and is roughly 17% less due to transmission, differential frictional and inertial losses.

The Z22 with an L head on it would have a compression increase equal to a couple of extra hp.

You can port and polish the L head. I would disassemble and remove the exhaust port liners in your W-58 head. Maybe lightly grind the bumps off the port walls that hold the liners away from them.

The head and manifold ports don't always line up. Because of casting mold shifts the ports can move slightly and there is a step. Get a new gasket and slip over the studs and spray paint over it. Remove the gasket and grind away any paint that shows and remove and smooth the port in for an inch or so. The head ports are now perfectly 'port matched' to the gasket. Now place the gasket carefully on the intake and spray paint it too. Do the same to the intake and when done the intake and head ports will line up without any step up or down that will cause turbulence. The exhaust is the same but is made of cast iron and will be much harder.

The L head port runners are almost perfect to begin with and flow very well as is. If you were a hard core racer it might be worth the time and bother but not for the street. Port matching is good.

I know I have a lot of questions but here is another one...would a z22 head fit on a L20b block....

can anyone post pics of the z22 head and the z24 head....r the intake bolts the same....

also for the distrubitor...would the stock ignition system from the 620 work with the 8 spark plug set up....

Yes a Z20/22/24 head will fit on an L20B block. But why would you want to. The compression would be 7.21 to one.

The intake bolt patterns are the same although the port shape is different. Z24 on top and Z22 below. They are upside down in this picture.

headZ24EandZ22.jpg

A stock L20B ignition will only fire 4 plugs and the Z24 has 8 so, no. Just get a Z22 or Z24 dizzy.

• 2 years later...

resurrecting an old thread, but does an L head directly bolt to a Z22 block? Do you have to drill out oil and/or coolant passages? what head gasket do you use?

i've got all the parts to build an LZ23 w/ dual weber 45 dcoe 

Mhub check out my build thread at about page 11 or 12 .. I think.

Drill holes in block.. yes.. 7 of them I think it was. Most expensive part of the build for me was the bore to 89mm.

Also z24 gasket. Cut front off ( z front cover isn't used) l20b front cover is so what I did was cut a l20b gasket, right where the timing cover meets the block. Glue the L gasket front end onto the cover and there ya go