battery terminal ends/wires

Eagle_Adam

Currently my 620 is dead in the water due to what i believe is a bad fusible link and or battery cable - im not looking for help diagnosing the problem im looking for advice, tips, tricks, and do's and dont's of selecting parts and assembling the positive and negative wires.

My plan is to get the ends that require you to solder in the wire not clamp it down, but i know little compared to what i should....

Soooooooooooo, someone school me! 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy the Cables from schucks/Oriley with the molded ends on there already(made in USA and get the shortest size that will fit also)

if you dont get 12volts to the fuse box it has to be the link. Otherwise if a bad batt cable you should still get 12volt with a tiny volt meter as its only a miliamp load to get the meter to work. Its big Power draws that make the cable or the ends/corrossion (look Bad)

I would ck the ground. If got lots of money get new cables anyways. Re ck the timming, valave lash ,intake/ carb/intake tighteness, choke ect. Your truck should  not take a minute to start unless very worn out

ck unnder dizzy cap. Loosness in dizzy.

If points ignition ck all wires being crimpped on good.

on my 521 daily driver I pull the choke and pump the carb before I start. takes about 2 trys on a very cold day.

If not driven in a awhile its alot longer to get started but not a minute.(most its no gas in the carb)

Eagle, you are on the right track by looking for the soldered/molded style cables. 

I always use the largest cables i can get.  My current cables in my Datsun are close to twice the size of the cables that are on the shelf at Oriellys and everywhere else i looked for them. 

Those bolt on cable ends that are readliy available at every auto parts store are crap.

I used these parts to make a positive battery cable for my 521.  Not shown, large heat shrink tubing.

CableParts.jpg

here is the battery end.

BatteryEnd.jpg

The starter end.

StarterEnd.jpg

and the wire that goes to the fusebox.

FuseboxLead.jpg

I put the terminal ends, in a vice, and heated the outside with a propane torch.  Then I filled the cup about half way with molten solder, and preheated the ends of the cable, while keeping the molten solder in the terminal hot.  I then shoved the end of the cable, and fusebox wire into the molten solder in the cup.   hold it still until the solder cools.

Then slide the heat shrink over the ends.

I use maxima diesel batter cables cut down in length.  At 00 (maybe even 000) they are one of the thickest stock car battery cables I have ever come across lol. My torch was out of gas at the time I reused the crimp connector and soldered it up on my stove. Ridiculous overkill but I'll never have an issue...

With the bat reversed so the pos side isnt under the fender support I run a quick disconnect on the ground. MUCH safer. 

A nice bonus to maxima cables is they come with 2 female blade connectors already soldered in with the main and rubber molded caps. Very useful neat and safe. 

IMG_20121212_155559.jpg