Anyone tried aftermarket engine rebuild kits on eBay, made in Mexico?

jfbrink

Hey,

I picked up a sweet '66 this week. Runs like a top, but I'm leaking out the front crank seal something fierce. And, I'm thinking I might as well replace the timing chain if I've got the crank pulley off to replace the seal. So, I'm looking at an engine gasket kit on eBay and a timing kit, both from an aftermarket manufacturer in Mexico.

I'm inclined to believe these kits will be fine and dandy, but I would love to hear from anyone who has purchased and installed one.

Jesse.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Screw that. I've seen the quality of some of these kits before. Maybe not those exact kits, but I ordered a timing kit for my old Honda CB175 and ended up throwing it away because what I had was in better shape. Not to mention the gaskets were cheap quality as well and leaked pretty bad.

IMO, the only thing good that comes from Mexico is taco's and beer.

• Like 1

Screw that. I've seen the quality of some of these kits before. Maybe not those exact kits, but I ordered a timing kit for my old Honda CB175 and ended up throwing it away because what I had was in better shape. Not to mention the gaskets were cheap quality as well and leaked pretty bad.

IMO, the only thing good that comes from Mexico is taco's and beer.

wtf beer from mexico you been drinkin? although i do love cazadores :w00t:

true, timing chains arent just an "oh i feel like replacing it" part. and mexico can make some ok parts. better than china at least, w. japan being the best of course. have you tried rockauto.com yet?

Im not going to denounce an entire country because of a few people have been burned. If it is an American company operating in mexico for cheap labor or is it a mexican company selling what they have in America? Because most of the time its an american company your getting screwed by

@69srl311 - That thread lists three options. Did you get the felt seal from the dealer, the engine seal kit from NAPA, or the single rubber seal #15846 from NAPA? As far as I can tell, the first two are NLA and the last one seems to be the wrong size. 

I ordered the kit from Mexico; it should arrive in a week or two. I'll post back re: quality and fitment. 

Jesse. 

• Like 1