521 washer pump wiring question

Willdatsun

Just got a 521, the washer bag and pipes etc are all missing, i can't find any wires in the engine bay that might be for the washer pump.. wiper switch apears to have a twisting action so I assume the pump is electric on the 521, can anyone give me a clue to the path of the wires in the engine bay so I can find them?

Maybe a photo or something?

Thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a wiring diagram.

521wires.jpg

The washer motor gets power on a blue with a red stripe wire, when the ignition key is on.

A blue with black stripe wire goes to the wiper switch. Twisting the switch connects the bluw with black stripe wire to a black wire that goes to ground.

Here is a picture of a 521 engine bay, with the washer bag. The wires hang down from the wire harness, about where the bag is.

EngineRoomDragon.jpg

Actually, I found it after Googling "521 wire diagram" or something like that. I did not color it, somebody else did. whoever you are, my thanks for doing that.

That is the small diagram. There is a bigger one available, with only sections of the wires colored.

I would post it, but I already feel I am poaching somebody else's hard work.

Because the wiring diagram is in PDF format Wayno... I have a copy as well for when I work on my friends truck.

You would need to export the PDF to a JPG or other format to be able to upload to photobucket

Hainz, someone made a similar diagram for 510s, https://docs.google....xekR2cnc/edit

Click on File and then download for a copy on your computer.

Because the wiring diagram is in PDF format Wayno... I have a copy as well for when I work on my friends truck.

You would need to export the PDF to a JPG or other format to be able to upload to photobucket

Hainz, someone made a similar diagram for 510s, https://docs.google....cnc/edit��Click on File and then download for a copy on your computer.

I could get it to the photobucket acct, but it was just black and white, and didn't do the cool stuff it does on my computer, so I gave up.

I don't know shit about my computer, or how it does what it does, but I try.

• 3 weeks later...

My latest build date Datsun 521 is 04/70.  Its serial number is PL-521 207797.

My earliest build date Datsun 521 is 09/69.  Its serial number is PL-521 394191.

Looking at a Factory Service Manual it shows the engine room harness for a 521, with the J-13 engine, and it does not have a leg of the harness crossing the firewall, and going forward.  J-13 trucks had the ignition coil on the firewall, above the starter.

I can give you a pretty good Idea on what is factory stock on 521 trucks between those two dates, but I cannot tell you what Datsun did before or after.

It is possible that Datsun rerouted the wires to the right side of the engine bay from the firewall, and then forward, but I doubt it.  More likely that a previous owner moved some parts of the wire harness. 

A 521 has three wire harnesses.  The engine room harness connects to the cab, or dashboard harness at a bunch of connectors inside the cab, behind the glove box, and the bed harness by the starter. 

The washer motor gets power on a blue with a red stripe wire, when the ignition key is on.
A blue with black stripe wire goes to the wiper switch. Twisting the switch connects the blue with black stripe wire to a black wire that goes to ground. 

Does your wiper switch rotate against a spring, to the right?  This is the momentary contact for the washer motor.  When you do that, the blue with a black stripe wire is grounded, and the washer motor, that has power applied to it anytime the ignition is on, runs.

I would look for a blue with a black stripe wire, at the harness connector going to the wiper switch.  The wiper switch to the connector just has all black wires. 

It is possible that your truck may have had the wiring harness replaced with something aftermarket, a 520 harness, or some other previous owner hack.

Pictures of washer pump wires.

WashPumpWires.jpg

This is where they come out of the harness.

WashPumpWireExit.jpg

This is a picture of the pump end.

WashPumpWireClose.jpg

The blue wire with the red stripe has power anytime the key is on.  It has a female 1/4 spade connector inside the insulating boot.

This picture is with the key on, washer pump switch off.  The other end of the test light is grounded.

WashPumpKeyOn.jpg

The blue wire with the black stripe goes to the wiper/washer switch.  In this picture, I moved the ground wire for the test light to the blue wire with a black stripe, for the washer pump.  The key is still on.

WashPumpSwitchOff.jpg

And this is when I twist the wiper switch to turn on the washer pump.

WashPumpSwitchOn.jpg

My harness does have a firewall branch, and it came stock that way, as it has the tangs on the firewall to hold the wires.

DSCN0571-1.jpg

DSCN0570-1.jpg

DSCN0569.jpg

DSCN0572.jpg
Mine is titled as a 71, but the build date is 9/70, and I have no idea if my wiper switch knob twisted, as I long ago put a 720 tilt column in my truck, and all that stuff(wipers/headlights/turn signals) is on the column now, the only thing I could not deal with was the 4 ways, so I left them connected to the stock switch.

Yes I know it looks like a wiring nightmare, I have so much shit I run in this work truck, and so many mods to make things work, so we won't talk about that, let it be MY nightmare.  :lol:

Christ man, clean your engine compartment!  Thanks guys, speshly all the pics!!!

I wonder if my 521 was a J13 car? if so would it have had manual or electric washers ? or do ALL 521 have electric?

I'll have a look at this over the weekend. I have a leaking heater core and also the windshield is so old and cloudy when the sun shines towards me, i have to stop the truck a I can't see a thing!

Christ man, clean your engine compartment!  Thanks guys, speshly all the pics!!!

I wonder if my 521 was a J13 car? if so would it have had manual or electric washers ? or do ALL 521 have electric?

I'll have a look at this over the weekend. I have a leaking heater core and also the windshield is so old and cloudy when the sun shines towards me, i have to stop the truck a I can't see a thing!

If your talking about my engine compartment, it is a work truck, I have other projects to keep clean.

DSCN0393.jpg