Dash cams anyone??

Anyone have a dash cam on their datto? I was thinking tonight that it might not be a bad idea, after having some stupid close calls lately. Especially after my accident earlier this year, where a dash cam would have made a hell of a difference in court.

I found this one on Ebay that seems like a cheap, acceptable cam that would probably suffice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170645654460&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_10819wt_1163

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm sounds like you commute near interesting drivers :blink:

When you live in the middle of ghetto fabulous ATL where no one understands accountability, it can get interesting. Someone hit my moms car in the Walmart parking lot the other day. Now she's stuck with a pretty scuffed up fender.

Watched an accident in my Autozones parkign lot where a guy backed out at full speed, right into the front of a car that was pulling away. We were able to stop the guy, turns out he was an illegal immigrant. Deported 4 days later.

"Note: The HDMI Mini C Port does not work, just for decoration."

lulwut?

seems interesting for 33$

I like the 120 degree view.

thated be a sick shot for canyon runs ect if you could figure out how to run it on more than just a 15min loop

• Like 1

"Note: The HDMI Mini C Port does not work, just for decoration."

lulwut?

seems interesting for 33$

I like the 120 degree view.

thated be a sick shot for canyon runs ect if you could figure out how to run it on more than just a 15min loop

That was another thought :P

I don't expect this thing to be GoPro quality or anything, but damn I'll be it would be good enough :thumbup:

Good topic MM, I've considered the same thing. Way to many poor drivers in the ATL.

Yeah, i've been thinking about it for a while. Especially lately. I just thought about checking ebay for a cheapo, and didn't realize they were so cheap!

I've played with the mini cams quite a bit. We used a number of them in Iraq on my first deployment. Stay away from the cheap ones, they won't be any help (similar to some of the views on MythBusters when the cam is just a bit too close to the explosion and gets knocked out) in an accident. Go Pro cams are one of the cheapest high quality ones on the market right now, though I prefer the Contour Cam. Lost more Go Pros to explosions over there,and only two Contours. Problem is, the Contours cost a little bit more.

Those are the two that I really recommend above anything else.

Every camera is going to have a limited length. You can also set up a loop on any of them, so its kind of moot.

You can get a cheapo 100 tablet to ad control and viewing options.

The go pro is cool, you can use it for fun and a dash cam though used the 1st gen is 3 times more expensive. You do get hd quality and a fish eye view though, which are def bonuses when using the vid as evidence.

I'm looking to set up an external mic and HD for next summers nyzcc fun runs because its impossible to get good sound even with the fuzzy back fix. There is just too much wind.

Here is the fall fun run cut up a little rough by a member. He was experimenting with music too, it stops at like 5:10 and you can hear raw vid.

At 5:10, 6:10, 7:50 are some short runs through the range. In the last I kept up with a 370 though he walked me a bit lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZpA6ERgguE

• Like 2

ive been wanting a dash cam since my MC accident, where it was completey the other guys fault but the police report and insurance companies found me at fault. i hope this thread evolves to include the successful cams that people already have in use.

Look into getting a mount for a regular camera.

I had one of these but i traded it for a computer :crying:

I miss it but you can get them cheap on ebay in better condition that mine was.

Panasonic dmc-fz35

3q-001.jpg?v=1854

They have outstanding battery life but you can also power it from the cigarette lighter. They have a/v out. And best of all they have a swivel lcd. They will record hd vid with sound for as long as you have power and card space. On a 2 gb sd card I could get over 2 hours in low quality.

Just rig up a screw mount for it and you're good to go! You could even put on facing the rear and run an a/v cord to a small monitor for backup/rear cam.