Perhaps Joining the Club, want some info

Engy

Hello all

I recently found a 710 for sale in my area and I am talking to the owner about buying it, just waiting for pictures of underneath and what engine it has to make sure I want to get it. I really love small old school Japanese cars and in particular datsuns. After researching this car using various searches and this forum I like the car but I have been unable to find much info on building an engine besides a couple of "grenade" engines which weren't street legal. So I was wondering if anyone had some helpful links to builds of any l16 or l20s, the guy said off the top of his head it was a 2L but I am awaiting a confirmation. My(maybe bad) goal is to take either an l16 or l20 and build it to fit the car and produce around 200hp at the wheels, and by that I include building the engine itself and perhaps a small turbo for the push past 150hp to 200hp if that's in any way probable while keeping it a street car. I am also interested in learning anything else about the car and maybe problems that are fairly common and to look out for.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This forum is full of that information, go to the engines section, use the search bar, at the top of the engines section under "pinned" threads is the Jason Grey info thread, lots of stuff in there. Look around to get started. Welcome.

I did more research on the KA24DE and all the swaps seem to be into 620s or 510s I haven't seen anything from my searches on how people have put the KA24 into a 710, and that they have to use different mounts? But the actual swap just requires a crossmember from X car or some fab work and it will jsut go right in?

Sorry if it seems respective or anything I just don't have a ton of experience with this kind of thing.

INDY has a KA 710.

No engine swap 'just goes in'.

You need to remove the cross member cut out the center and turn 180 and weld back in. "Flipping the X member" is more involved than that. Alternatively, you can 'simply' modify the oil pan for clearance.

The KA motors and most newer options are all EFI so there's a lot or wiring for the KA sensors and the ECU.

The fuel pump has to be changed to a high pressure one.

You will have to run a KA 5 speed as well so the drive shaft will need shortening. Haven't even got to the motor mounts.....

Sorry if it seems respective or anything I just don't have a ton of experience with this kind of thing.

Don't buy this, you'll get in over your head with a 200RWHP L20B or KA swap. Buy a runner if you must and just enjoy it.

Alright sounds like fun! Thanks, going to go try and find more info based on that and maybe get myself some a parts list. Hopefully going to at least look at the car this weekend, I forgot to mention its a 74 710 with what I was told under 50,000 miles.

• Like 1

If you want a 240sx you should just ,,,, buy a 240sx.

Datsuns weren`t built to have or withstand the power of a KA ,, the stock brakes won`t stop you, the stock rearend will fail and that`s if you actually ever get done..Buy a Datsun to putter around in,, lower it i little bit to make it more stable open the exhaust up so it pisses off the neighbors add some fatty tires, and prepare yourself to talk to every octogenarian that ever owned one,, every time you get gas..

Yo

No offense but I do not and never really have wanted a 240sx, 240z on the other hand is one of my dream cars.

All I want at max is 225 and I would be happy with 175, I love old 60s and 70s cars, muscle and import and I jsut want to build it with similar power to weight ratio that the other cars in my family have so 100hp/1000lb is where I want to be preferably but I am guessing 150hp would be a really fun drive too.

If the build date is before September '74, it will be an L18. After it's after, it's a '75 model year and will be an L20B.

Either way it will most likely be coming out, probably not for a year or two but eventually....eventually.

best car ever. but i feal likeyour throwing ideas out there without realy knoeing the full story. its alot of work, that may never get complete. stuff always comes up. if you plan to swap it get it going first then drive it while yoU gather parts.

The 710 looks like a melting wax Coke bottle. I hate them.

First time I saw the ad I thought it was a weird ugly little car, but as I kept seeing it over and over it started to grow on me. I started doing some research on it and found it to be a cool little car. I have never seen one in real life and I thought it would be a cool little project. What really got me wanting it though was a video on youtube of a lineup of a bluebird, 510, 610, 710, and a 1200 which were greatly modified and stripped down and made into powerful little cars, which I wasn't planning on doing. Although I do want to be able to spin the tires if the need arises :devil: .

best car ever. but i feal likeyour throwing ideas out there without realy knoeing the full story. its alot of work, that may never get complete. stuff always comes up. if you plan to swap it get it going first then drive it while yoU gather parts.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on doing the swap as soon as I get it. I want to get it in good working order and fix the little things it has wrong with it as well as give it a new coat of paint as the current condition is lets say I little rough. I am going to more research on swaps and other stuff I can do I just wanted to get ideas from people who have experience with these cars.

Well don't overlook that they can be beau-coup fun to drive if you modify the suspension and brakes. I have Maxima struts with monster calipers and vented rotors fed by a 15/16" 298zx master cylinder riding on shortened 710 front coils to lower and stiffen the front. One added rear leaf spring per side and 2" lowering blocks to stiffen the back with 215/50R14s on S110 factory mags. Just the lowering alone improves the handling but firmer is better to reduce bottoming and huge suspension travel over dips and rises. Replaced the 4 speed with a '79 zx transmission with an '85 720 diesel tailstock for the shorter throw shifter.

The brakes should always out perform the engine. Always. Suspension and handling should back up the brakes not add problems getting stopped.

So I looked into what you said but all the rotors I find are 5 bolt not the 4 bolt that are already on the car. Is there anywhere specific I can find the 4 bolt type rotor? Also if that is the case could the rotors off a miata work? There's a miata I know of with really nice rims I am trying to get(4 bolt) and if the guy ends up scrapping the car I could pull the rotors and stuff off that if they would work.

• Like 1

You can't just start swapping parts like that. The strut has a caliper and rotor on it that match and work together. It's usual to swap the complete strut (usually a 280zx) so everything matches.

As skib has said I think you should start researching some build threads where brakes have been modified. If you have a 710 I would start in the 710 section. Find other members with 710s and read their build threads. Read and learn all you can. Get an idea what you would like. Knowing will solve a lot of your questions.

alright... i don't own a 710 and don't know anything about them, but i jsut can't help but chime just in general in regards to the need for HP. AS a couple people already mentioned a car can be a crapload of fun to drive even if not fast for various reasons.. maybe its the style, maybe its the flow, maybe its that you have the suspension / handling dialed in so its a blast in the twisties.

I went from driving a new Porsche Cayman S to a stock datsun 510 wagon and 610 wagon... and i can tell you WITHOUT A DOUBT, the datsuns put a lot more smiles on my face. and for a track car, i went from a 2300lb, 265hp Porsche 914-6 to a 117hp, 2000 lbs datusn 510 sedan.. and that datsun is a BLAST on the track.. I still have the 914... i prefer to drive the 510.

Everybody is different, and what you want out of a car is different. my fun might be your boring..

but my point is, you mention you like the look, the style, the ESSENCE of the old cars... so maybe you would find that with a 710 with a lighly modded L18 or L20b, you get 140-150hp, you get your suyspension and brakes and handling dialed in and you have a car that while not "fast" is an absolute blast for you to drive because you love it. or maybe, that is just too slow for you....

but you need to figure that out.

don't assume you wont enjoy the car because you can't spin the tires and don't have 200HP.. you might be surprised.

I'm preeeeety sure that I know which '74 710 in New Hampshire you're talking about, and I'm thinking that if you have the idea that you want to do some parts swapping, you might want to start out with a transmission swap - that way you can get rid of the automatic and make the car more fun to drive, and get an idea of what kind of work is involved in swapping parts for an old car.

Yeah I'm gonna fix it up a bit and get a nissan altima winter beater. When spring comes I'm gonna take all the parts out of it that i need and rebuild the motor to swap in the 710(with a 5speed). Or if I can find one I would swap in a manual over the winter if I find one that fits and hold off on doing anything else.

Also you probably do know what one as it's the only one. And I have some expirience on older cars(not mine and I didn't liek it to begin with so i stopped) it was a 74 vw microbus... the engine was a mix of a 914 and type 4 van engine, frankenstien, and I wasn't teh one who built it and just gave up as I wasn't gonna put my own money into it if it wasn't mine.