Relocated gas tank?

socaldatsun

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody ever relocate the stock gas tank to the very rear of the back bed? I kinda want to do this so I can add a little extra wheight to the rear with the new swap plus I eventually wanna 4link the rear

I used a datsun roadster tank in my 47 chevy pickup, it's all a matter of finding the correct tank.

I admit that the roadster tank is not very big, but it is what I had at the time.

Personally I would do everything possible to keep the stock location, if you delete the spare tire holder back there, you have to then keep your spare tire in the bed, I personally hate having the spare tire in the bed.

I am not sure if it will work, but look at all the 80s ford rangers, look for the dual tank option, the extra tank was under the bed behind the axle, hopefully they did not drill a hole in it to empty it.

You can also have a custom one made.

I used a datsun roadster tank in my 47 chevy pickup, it's all a matter of finding the correct tank.

I admit that the roadster tank is not very big, but it is what I had at the time.

Personally I would do everything possible to keep the stock location, if you delete the spare tire holder back there, you have to then keep your spare tire in the bed, I personally hate having the spare tire in the bed.

I am not sure if it will work, but look at all the 80s ford rangers, look for the dual tank option, the extra tank was under the bed behind the axle, hopefully they did not drill a hole in it to empty it.

You can also have a custom one made.

Ill look into diffrent tanks but I already have the stock one set up for fuel injection. I usually don't vary a spare tire anyways :P my insurance covers towing.

And dawa I think Beebani has made one before, I personally would not try to attempt this my self. This would be the only thing id take it to the shop for.

Ill look into diffrent tanks but I already have the stock one set up for fuel injection. I usually don't vary a spare tire anyways :P my insurance covers towing.

And dawa I think Beebani has made one before, I personally would not try to attempt this my self. This would be the only thing id take it to the shop for.

The mid 80s ranger tank I am talking about is a fuel injection tank, it is a hard to find option though, most did not have the dual tanks, and not all were fuel injected either.

I know it will fit between the frame rails, as I just went and measured how wide the neighbors was, it is 28 inches wide, it fits under the bed, it's wedged shaped so as to not drag the back part on the ground, and the filler is on the driverside.

I just went over and took some photos of the neighbors 86 ranger fuel injection tank.

DSCN0320.jpg

DSCN0319.jpg

DSCN0318.jpg

DSCN0321.jpg

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
I'll bite, why?

Because I like it more. There is always an open bay at the gas station for cars with right side fill.

Also it only makes sense for a Japanese car to have gas fill on the right as that would be the drivers side for them. Same with German cars.

• Like 2
Because I like it more. There is always an open bay at the gas station for cars with right side fill.

Also it only makes sense for a Japanese car to have gas fill on the right as that would be the drivers side for them. Same with German cars.

I like it on the left, the door is right there so I can listen to music, no one can hop in and try to steal it while I am fueling up, and if it is raining, I stay dry the whole time because I am under the roof.

WOW, I spend to much time in gas stations!  :hmm:

I like it on the left, the door is right there so I can listen to music, no one can hop in and try to steal it while I am fueling up, and if it is raining, I stay dry the whole time because I am under the roof.

WOW, I spend to much time in gas stations!  :hmm:

Every car I have owned has been on the right, no one ever tries to steal my car. Raining, well Im under the big roof of the station.

Also getting back into your car while filling up is the leading cause of gas station fires. As you can make static electricity as you get in and out of your car. I believe more women start gas station fires than men, simply because they get in and out of the car more often then men at gas stations.

Every car I have owned has been on the right, no one ever tries to steal my car. Raining, well Im under the big roof of the station.

Also getting back into your car while filling up is the leading cause of gas station fires. As you can make static electricity as you get in and out of your car. I believe more women start gas station fires than men, simply because they get in and out of the car more often then men at gas stations.

I have seen it happen, some lowlife that don't want to walk home, he kinda hangs around, walking by the cars and looking inside to see if the keys are in the car while you are pumping the gas, and when you go inside to get your change, he hops in and starts it,  and then drives off, the owner of that car threw his 20oz drink at him as he drove out, good thing the guy/car owner had his kid in his arms.

I only see these lowlifes at the gas stations near the hiways, never see them in the neighborhood stations, but they are everywhere, I pay with a card, and always leave the keys in the ignition, but I never go inside, unless the receipt printer is screwed up, then I have to, and when I get back out to my truck, I see the keys and shake my head, I guess no one wants to steal my flatbed/trailer combo, that might be good.  :rolleyes:

From gas tanks in the back to gas station fires,give it a rest .I make gasoline for a living,you still first of all need to have all the stars align to make that happen.Not saying it cant happen.So back to the gas tank issue in the rear...do it you will be fine.We need to take chances in life,and just think every time you come to a stop and people aint paying attention you get to pucker your ass hole.

• 8 months later...

so after a long time i'm finally buying my fuel cell but i have my truck in the shop so i cant take measurements myself. i got two in mind. can some one take measurements on your 521 and let me know if these will work?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-291215-s/overview/
this is a 15 gal and its 18x20x10

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-291220-s/overview/
20 gal 24x20x10

this will replace the spare tire location.
thanks

I kinda think the 20gal is over kill but would still be nice not to fill up as often, plus its cheaper