Highbeams as turn signals?

ohmrchristopher

So my inner headlamps are yellow, and I like the look of them on. However its not fair to the other drivers to have all four lights on (highbeam/passing mode) when I'm driving through town. So is there a way to wire the inner two lamps [high] to the marker/signal lights so that A] When the [light] knob is pulled half way my [high] lamps come on with my marker/signal B] When the knob is fully pulled out the inner [high] lamps turn off and act as normal? High/low per coloum switch.

I realize that taking power from the marker/signal lights will cause the [high] lamps to flash when turning, I am kinda into this as I think it would be better.....

Wait I just remembered that our turn signals dont flash on/off, they flash dim/bright.... does that mean the signals are getting a <12V source for power then a 12V source to flash?

I would need two relays for this would I not? One to close a circut to turn on the [high] lamps when the markers are on, and a second to piggyback off the flasher circut and make them flash with the signals?

Im going to go stare at a wiring diagram and play with MS Paint for a bit... :?

PS truck is a 1973

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The turn signals are on or off. They do not go dim. It just takes time for the bulb filament to heat up, and cool down.

You are on the right track by using relays. I do not think the wiring, turn signal switch, or the flasher would live long with the extra electrical load of a headlight in the circuit also. if you use a normal flasher, it will also change the speed of the flashing, I think much faster. Another issue is it is harder on the lamp filament to be switched on and off a lot. You may also shorten the headlight lamp life a lot.

if they are on, then get brighter that means you have a dual fillement bulb in the turns. if so tap off the side that is on not the one that flashes and put a relay in and have it control the high beams. but it sound like your a lil confused on the function of the turn signal setup. also having your high beams flash will get you a ticket as it will look like you are impersonating a cop car, and i bet a few ppl wont liek having a high beam flashing at them and you may get a coke or shake thrown at you and your ride....

Daneial stern had a H1 lamp that had a parking light in the housing. I wonder if you could just splice of the turn signal and route that to the H1 lamp

I dont see it on their site now but I think its the same as this one.

Maybe someone can verify.

I had this on my Capri while station in Germany. Just put your blinker on what ever side of the road you was so on comming cars could see the corner of your car. It was a small lamp so it didnt really drain the battery

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=2257

• 2 weeks later...