removal of bed......

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the 720 long bed tank and it bolts to the '82 frame. Much better idea. BTW, dwnshfter, unless those bed bolts were replaced, Nissan used the cheapest crap bolts with a washer welded on to prevent it spinning. When you try to turn the bolts, the washer folds up and spins with the nut and you can't get at it to hold it. You end up cutting the bolt off.

so longer bolts and go all the way through the frame? what do you recommend?

Nope, the frame has mounts welded on to it. When the bed is off (if it ever gets off) you might weld the new nuts to the under sides of the mount. Then install the box, with or without spacers to adjust height to match the cab, and tighten the bolts down. The nut can't spin this way.

So you don't have ugly bolt heads sticking up to snag your cargo, try to find those carriage head bolts with the hex drive. Forget where I saw them but they were cool. Any fastener shop would have them.

http://www.fit-senior.com/acatalog/Online_Catalog_Bolts__Fastners__and_Nuts_for_Fitness_Equipment_494.html

I take it that you don't have any kind of reference book; they really do come in handy in situations like this. Sometimes a picture can make things so much clearer.

bed_bolts.gif

The bolts do have a flimsy tab on them to keep them from spinning during installation, unfortunately they also have round heads like a rivet, making it difficult to get on them with anything, plus they have a nylock nut so it is hard turning all the way off. It's been a long time, but I think I could get a pair of needle nose vice grips on the ones that spun on me.

This is buy far the most stupid question you have asked:lol: Just crawl under there and look. Do you want me to tell you where to put the gas in too?

your killing me.

downshifter, upshift your profile so we dont have to guess what the hell your working on.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=4953

Hmmmm. I can think of a few....

the First thing you need to do is download a FSM, then you can look most of this up and save time instead of waiting for responses.

Y'know, that way it's more entertaining for the rest of us when you get halfway through something and THEN have to ask"what the Hell happened?"