help with my electrical nightmere

jnec510

this is my last chanc to keep my truck before i have to let it go. my electrical is all hay wire. i got the lights blinkers aN TURNSIGNALS to work now the dashlights are out. i bought a new under dash harness hopin for an easy fix:lol:. but of course i was wrong. now the dist isnt gettin power the ignition works here an there i couldnt find the plug for the dimmer switch. i am lookin for somebody close by to ix my truck. i am willin to pay:D. i reallyu want to get all of this fixed if i can. thanks. jason

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

branigans law is like branigans love......fast and hard.......

what i was saying is wire everything from scratch.....ok, i got online and foubd brand new headlight connectors, i used those and a spool of wire to do an all new headlight and front turn signal harness separate from the nissan stuff. next is the tails after i do a caddy light swap. new switches and it all works like i want it to. just do one area at a time and get each working before moving on to the next one.

rewiring from scratch isn't easy if you dont know what your doing or a novice or even if you do know what your doing..

besides sticking withe stock is always best so the next owner doesnt take a flame thrower to it.:D

just find a original unmolested wiring harness from the junk yard or a forum member and replace yours then save yours for spare parts.

oh wait you have a 620.:eek: trade it for a 521. they look much better and the wiring is waaaayyyy easier. good luck

Stick with the stock stuff.

Trace each wire in question individually to make sure you have a complete circuit. Each section of harness and each component of the system can be verified independently. You'll find the bad connection, it's all process of elimination, unfortunatly it is a very tedious process.

Changing out components without knowing what is wrong in the first place can lead to more frustration.

power to the coil Ignition circuit, trace it from the key to the battery... individual components first.

dashights Do your parking lights work? Could be your dimmer

heater Fan? again check the each component

water temp gauge Sender, guage or wiring...don't forget to check your grounds

YOU can do this...it is just a matter of doing 'zactly like Redeye said, one wire one circuit at a time.......................Get a good wiring diagram, a couple of highliter markers and use the diagram to trace the wires....Listen man, if this OLD MAN can do , then you can too...Don't be in a hurry and you will find all your problems and solving them is easy....trust yourself man...

OLYELLERSInnardscopy.jpg

OlYlrTu40050.jpg

I would HIGHLY recommend using the stock setup if possible, for the simplicity of tracing stuff down. All the wires have different color markings on them so its easier to trace. If you just wire the truck up yourself you would need a ton of different colors. Or you could do it the wrong way and wire with a handful. I have wired many cars and I do it like the others say. Get one circuit done at a time. Focus on the stuff that makes it run first, then go to the safety things like blinkers and lights then make your way to the less important stuff. I wish I were there to help, I actually don't mind wiring its a hard skill to get down but once you do its not that bad. To me it sounds like you have a larger problem on your hands. Something like your fuse block. Test lights are your friends when wiring. Always remember to make sure the ground is good on what your testing. START at the Fuse block then branch out from there. I cant stress enough to start there and check one thing at a time. And don't bang your brains out:eek:

PS Make sure you mark the circuits that are good with a piece of tape and/or make a checklist so you don't go over things you have done already.

• Like 1
I would HIGHLY recommend using the stock setup if possible, for the simplicity of tracing stuff down. All the wires have different color markings on them so its easier to trace. If you just wire the truck up yourself you would need a ton of different colors. Or you could do it the wrong way and wire with a handful. I have wired many cars and I do it like the others say. Get one circuit done at a time. Focus on the stuff that makes it run first, then go to the safety things like blinkers and lights then make your way to the less important stuff. I wish I were there to help, I actually don't mind wiring its a hard skill to get down but once you do its not that bad. To me it sounds like you have a larger problem on your hands. Something like your fuse block. Test lights are your friends when wiring. Always remember to make sure the ground is good on what your testing. START at the Fuse block then branch out from there. I cant stress enough to start there and check one thing at a time. And don't bang your brains out:eek:

PS Make sure you mark the circuits that are good with a piece of tape and/or make a checklist so you don't go over things you have done already.

that has to be one of the best anwseres on this forum i have read in a long time. that is by far the best way to do it! i did it the other way around though, i started with the easy stuff to get it out of the way and taped those wires up so i could concentrate more on the more complex stuff.....

i found one break an a bad inline fuse. fixed both an now the coil gets power only when i am crankin the starter. anybody have a complete harness they want to sell. relays an all. an there is no ignitor box the thing i thought it was was hooked to the wiper switch

Coil on start only just means there is no power on the Black/Red wire going to the ballast resistor. Check for power in the run position:

YES, power on the Black/Red, jumper a wire across the ballast resistor, it should now run, the ballast is bad.

NO power on Black/Red wire, check for voltage at the ignition switch plug end of the Black/Red wire.

Yes there is power, the wire between ignition switch and the coil is broken or a bad contact.

No power, ignition switch or fuse is bad, replace fuses.

• Like 1