help with my electrical nightmere

jnec510

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when i do a complete wire harness swap the first thing i do is take some cheap labels wrap them on each wire and write on them where the wire goes

2nd i remove the old harness and line it up next to the one i'm putting and go down the line and make sure they are exact and have all the same plugs ect.

replacing any plugs or wires thats needed from the old to the new. tweeking each plug end to insure i good connection. looking for corrision in the plugs.

i did a 77 620 last year and even though it aint rocket science they are way harder then the 521's

if your donor harness isn't a 77 you will have some trouble. and yes the 620 wiring diagrams are crap compared to the 521. the 521 wiring diagram is so easy a cave man can do it.

"Kif it apears that your toilet was set on stun not kill." zap is the man. but back on topic. i been checkin the new conections an i think i have a bad ignition. but its wierd cause it worked with the last harness. the white wire was melted.....? about n5 of the old plugs are melted. when i turn the key to the crank position( so it turns the motor over) the coil gets power. when set it to the on position no power to the coil. an when the key is in the turn position the motor does crank over. now i decided to strait wire the coil to the batt. an got intersting results. when the inline fuse is in in the blk/white wire connecting power to the coil causes the motor to turn over.(found out the hard way when the truck started to drag me down the driveway) but whe i disconnect that fuse the truck would fire up like normal an run. until today. i plan on pulln the whole harness cause i just have a feelin there is a crossed line.:D is there an acurate 77 620 wiring diagram out there. my book doent have the right colors or how to properly set firing order. i fixed my steering colum wirin by modifing a 620 turnsignal assembly to fit the 720 power steering colum. from that now all turnsignals work. oh an i had no taillight cause the wired in trailer light an used duct tape to wrap the wires:lol::lol:

The only inline fuse I can find in the '77 harness is a 1 amp in the Black/Yellow wire somewhere near the glove box. There is one place where start, power to coil on start and power to coil on run are close together... the ignition switch itself. Get another one before tearing into the wiring. A melted White wire (fusible link) tells me that a lot of power went through that ignition and it might be fried.

well today was productive. got the passenger seat dash wirin heatercore all out the truck. i gonna finish guttin the inteior tomorrow. the pressure wash the truck inside an out. gonna heculinar the intire cab. then modify the door hinges so i can remove the doors easily. i found a way to hold onto the truck for now an since i am unemployed i have little more time to work on it. now i just need to find a complete harness for her.