Can i fit this to that?

Eric

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes it can be done but the 610 has the long tail transmissions by default your best bet is to find a 5 speed from a z or truck as they are already long tail transmissions

i put a dog leg in my 610 and had to cut a new hole for the shifter and lengthen the drive line other then that it bolted in

so s110 gearboxes have different lengths in different countries?

i gues il have to measure it then, i have 260z 5 speed ready but that is much older than the s110 gearbox i have so i prefer to use the s110 box.

Best to measure the lengths. You don't have to remove them to do this but you do have to get under there to do it. Measure back from the underside horizontally to the tail where the driveshaft goes in. This will avoid an inaccurate slope distance. Use a string with a nut on it as a plumb bob on the tail. I think you will find that the long transmission is 31.5" or 80cm in length.

We did get long F4W63 4 speeds with our 610s and they look like this...

F4W63long.jpg

We did not get 5 speeds in our Z cars until '77, but in Europe the old Fairlady Roadster box (FS5W71A) was fitted with an L series bell housing. A few made it over here for competition use (FS5C71A) through the dealers? (not sure) Anyway your 260z 5 speed looks like this?... Note the flange output to the driveshaft.

FS5C71AoptiontwoLseries.jpg

We also did not get the FS5W63A dogleg in the long length either, but a few have shown up, probably bolted to import engines from Japan. Do yours look like this?

transphatdaveunknownZtransmaybeMaxi.jpg

All three are approximately 80cm long. The Roadster box is bullet proof. The dogleg is no where near as strong. We got the short doglegs and they were just adequate for an unmodified 2 liter L series motor.

That last picture with the FS5W63An looks like the dogleg that is under my s110, havent been under the 610 yet to see what that one looks like.

Thanks for that info and pictures, thats helpful! The numbers can be found on the gearboxes?

Many/most do yes.

Z series say LZ71B

This one is from my CA18ET and says Z (backwards L) 71B

transFS5W71BID002Large.jpg

Pre '80 transmissions were only used on L series and seem to only have a single L on them (4 speeds too)

FS5W71Breverseswitchlocation.jpg

• Like 1