Help anyone?

that one guy

So I'm doing a motor swap, and I have a little issue.

My old motor seized, and I'm re-using the head off it. The head is an N47, came off an N42 block, gonig back on an N42 block.

The problem is that the motor didn't seize at TDC (wouldn't that be nice) and I have no idea how to get it back to TDC.

Any help?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats it matter?

Take the head off. Put "new" engine at halfway past tdc #1 so that the pistons are in line. That was you can turn the cam to "tdc" ( cam lobe positions 11 and 2?, notch lined up with plate)without hitting the pistons with the valves. I had to do it on my engine because I installed the head at tdc #2. Yes I was drunk. Had to turn the cam through cause it was upside down.

• Like 1

what I do if head is already off is but block so poistons are half way in the middle

Bolt the head on there using the 2 center head bolts. Rotate the cam so its at TDC. Youll know watch the vid. Or if sprocket is okk the cam dowl pin will be close to the 12o clock position.

then take head off rotate crank till front piston is right at TOP. You can loosely put the front cover back on the ck for TDC marks or mak a ink pen mark for true TDC.

Hopefullyou all the big blts were loosen before you took everything apart as its hard to remove the crank bolt of head is already off

• Like 1

What am I talking about??

What are YOU talking about?

"My old motor seized, and I'm re-using the head off it. The head is an N47, came off an N42 block, gonig back on an N42 block.

The problem is that the motor didn't seize at TDC (wouldn't that be nice) and I have no idea how to get it back to TDC.

Any help?"

You're saying here that you want to turn the frozen motor to TDC. What I figure you meant to say is you need to turn the HEAD to TDC before installing on "new" engine. I was explaining how to do that.

Read what hainz said under his vid, same thing. Semi install the head with engine at halfway tdc, as in pistons in the middle, so you can turn the camshaft to TDC (cams at 11 and 2, notch on gear aligned with plate on cam tower) without hitting the pistons. Then return engine to TDC so you can install the timing kit.

It's a 4 cylinder but same concept. I didn't realize you were talking about a Z engine.

Here these may help.

Stupid pictureless explanations.

Basically you want the pistons to look like this when you put the head on to turn the cam. If it is a TDC, you will probably hit the pistons with valves trying to turn it through.

headgasket1_zps6de66a5e.jpg

Turn the cam to TDC position while the pistons are down.

Heres some examples.

Look at the middle of pic. See the little triangular notch aligned with the dash on the plate?

tdcgear_zps0255b010.jpg

Cam lobes

tdccam_zps0fb45286.jpg

Then remove the head and turn engine to TDC. #1 piston at the top.

Not sure what a Z crank looks like but surely theres a notch and a 0 somewhere.

tdccrank_zpsadeb3915.jpg

Now you can install your TDC head to TDC engine.

Go here ---> http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

Down-load and read the factory service manual (FSM).

It will tell you everything you need to know and more.

Much faster than we should be able to in interwebs slow time .. (exception is hainz's video)

it really does not matter where you engine is/was/were ,,,

you will be lining up TDC ... at the same place ... like every other engine will be.

Front crank bolt is a 27mm

Now is a good time to check timing chain slack/replacement or advancing the sprocket 1 position on the new engine.

If new engine is still out .. replace the rear-main seal. You'll love your-self for doing so later on.

There should be 2 hollow head alignment dowels sitting in the new block. If not , rob the old engine and swap.

You'll see where they are located by looking at the casting in the head/block.

Make absolute sure to use a timing chain wedge if you plan to just swap heads period.. homemade or store bought.

Does not matter which.

To keep your timing chain tensioner from opting out.

"My old motor seized, and I'm re-using the head off it. The head is an N47, came off an N42 block, gonig back on an N42 block.

Any help?"

You're saying here that you want to turn the frozen motor to TDC. What I figure you meant to say is you need to turn the HEAD to TDC before installing on "new" engine. I was explaining how to do that.

Read what hainz said under his vid, same thing. Semi install the head with engine at halfway tdc, as in pistons in the middle, so you can turn the camshaft to TDC (cams at 11 and 2, notch on gear aligned with plate on cam tower) without hitting the pistons. Then return engine to TDC so you can install the timing kit.

This is right.

No matter what position the seized motor is in, once you remove the head you can set the cams in any position you want. Put your new block at TDC, put the cams at TDC, then put the head onto the block. Simple as that.

Any help?"

This is exactly what I meant, thought I was clear, but internet speak is confusing. I don't know about you guys, but my sprocket has three alignment holes, don't know which one to use, and I sorta guessed the marking on the cam was to set it to TDC.

I already replaced the rear main seal, and the aligning sleeves are there. The motor was completely stripped down and everythign gone through/replaced as needed. The chain tensioner I'm not worried about as I have the timing cover off. Thanks for all the help guys, as I have the FSM and I couldn't find this anywhere.

I'll throw some pics up in this and my build thread when it's all said and done. :thumbup:

No, and I would tend to agree, but I have a second N47 head, which will be surfaced, get a valve job, aggressive port and polish, bigger lash pads, cams,valves and guides, as well as a hot cam shaved to 75 degrees for some awesomeness. And the best part? 700 bucks for the whole sha-bang.

No, and I would tend to agree, but I have a second N47 head, which will be surfaced, get a valve job, aggressive port and polish, bigger lash pads, cams,valves and guides, as well as a hot cam shaved to 75 degrees for some awesomeness. And the best part? 700 bucks for the whole sha-bang.

Well .. that's not bad deal at all considering what's being done.

Are you going for high rpm ?