"Newer" Nissans?

My wife's car is getting old. And we're planing on kids soon. So we'd like to get a "new" car, something used, with low ish miles, and cheap. The 510 is the first Nissan I've owned, but I've had family that have had Nissans and really, non of them have been any problem.

So I come to Ratsun, cause you're all cheap and knowledgeable. What would you suggest and what's considered "high" miles for some of these engines?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'm not a fan of newer Nissans. I know that won't be a popular opinion on this forum. They aren't nearly as easy to work on as similar Toyotas, Hondas or Subarus. Similar parts always seem to be more expensive too. I'm sure the Dr. will have a better perspective on the specifics of the Nissan lineup. I work for an independent shop so I only see them when they're sick. Since I see a bit of all the manufacturer's stuff, I've learned that I prefer to avoid Nissans in general.

Just a quick CL search turned up quite a few '90s 200,000 mile Maximas in the $2500 range. I would expect to spend at least $500 on various parts in the first 30 days. That would keep you in the 3K budget. The Maximas seem to age pretty well compared to Sentras and Altimas from what I've seen. Don't forget about the Infiniti counterparts too.

My 2002 g20 automatic been nothing but great. This car has been abused by the previous owner and it needs alot of work. But somehow it just keeps running! The sr20 on this car is pretty much bullet proof! Even though this car needs new bearings and a complete suspension overhaul. It still gets 24 miles to the gallon.

You guys are only telling my stuff I know! Thanks Dat Lurka, I've only been looking at cars with SR. I have to see what the Maximas have. Part of me still wants something sporty, hence the pic, but I really just need to get something I can't do stuff to. Need more funds for the 510 still. What sort of miles do you find on sentras and Maximas. I know it depends on how well it was taken care of getting to said miles, but what's the life span of a these? My dad's KADE in his pick up is getting up there, and still runs great!

The G20 was my first car, mine was the P10, it was a great handling car. Took the car up to 7k rpm a lot, never gave me ANY problems.

it lacked bottom end, but the top end would go forever and ever. Vice versa for the KA24E in the 240sx I drive now lol.

*IF* they're taken care of, most should go 300k without major problems. Maybe a head gasket in there somewhere, but the block and heads are usually ok. It's usually not until 300k that other parts start to fail.

My old D22 Frontier has 178k on it when I sold it. Did the headgasket once. Engine was great at that mileage, but suspension stuff was starting to need replacement. My neighbor across the street got 300k out of his D22 Frontier, and just now needs a headgasket. The KA24DE engines are tough, if taken care of.

VG30's are also good for way over 200k if they're taken care of.

My 2006 Frontier VQ40DE has 100k on it, and the only thing that truck has needed was a fuel sender unit.

The biggest theme here, is "taken care of". That's what you're looking for in a higher mileage Nissan. If the engine bay looks like crap, covered in grease and oil, walk away. Because they obviously didn't give a crap about the motor.

I've had a handful of B12 sentra's. They are 87-90. All two doors, black and five speeds. Great cars, Never an issue. Some had low miles some had 200k. They all still ran just fine. (timing chain rattle on the one with 200k but to be expected)

I'd buy another in a heart beat as long as wasn't beat to shit and neglected. They get good mileage too. GA16 motor IIRC, which is like a tbi engine (again, IIRC). I could fill up and drive from Graham WA, to Astoria OR, and back to Graham. It would only take an 1/8th over half tank to get there and back. (Freeway mostly). Thats about ~300 miles, on regular gas.