DOES 1980 DATSUN 280ZX HAS BORG WARNER 5 SPEED T-5.TRANNY IN IT ?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No it shouldn't.

When the 280zx turbo came out in Jan Dec '80, (halfway through the '81 model year) Nissan feared that the FS5W71B wasn't strong enough to handle the extra power so the first turbo cars were all automatics. This seemed ridiculous that the flagship Z car should have such a non sporty transmission so Nissan (I'm sure under pressure to look good) opted a year later in Jan '82, (half way through the '82 model year) to hastily install a Borg Warner 5 speed that was at best only adequate for the job. Keep in mind that the T-5 was nothing like the World Class 5 speeds that were used in the later Camaro and 5.0 Mustangs and was used on the zx for only a year and a half until the new 300zx came out..

There is no reason why someone couldn't have swapped a much later T-5 into an '80 zx turbo or normally aspirated car for that matter.

FWIW The new and much improved FS5W71C (the long waited successor to the older FS5W71B ) was first used in the 300sx (non turbo) cars. (if the 280zx turbo was rough on the T-5 the 300zx's new VG30ET was particularly hard on them) As it turns out they (the 71Cs) were a better transmission than the T-5 and those turbo owners that blew up their T-5 could swap the 71C in and there were no further problems. But the zx turbo continued to use the Borg Warner T-5 through '86 before switching to the FS5R30A, reputed to handle 500 hp reliably.

There wasn't a 1980 280zx turbo.

'81.5 turbos came only with the 3 spd auto.

'82, '83 came with 3 spd auto and for the manual they used the T5.

And why would you want to put a much heavier transmission behind a l20b?

A number of people are putting the C transmission behind their l28. Swap bellhousing, machine for the bigger bearing and shift rods, shorten driveshaft, modify the trans crossmember. Write ups for Z installation are on hybridz.

There wasn't a 1980 280zx turbo.

Yes a month out does make a big difference.

So that means that i can use the 5 speed tranny out of 80 280zx turbo and mate it wit l20 b

Yes and it is likely an FS5W71B as this is what came in them. Are you sure it's a turbo motor? or did someone just think it was?

You surely don't want a T-5 in your 510. There's a good chance you will have to cut the floor to fit it, it's too big and too heavy.

You better post a picture of it.

1981 280zx Turbo only had automatics & 82-83 280zx Turbo 5 speed had the T-5.

There are no 80 turbo models unless someone swapped the L28ET (turbo engine) and everything over. If your swapping the T-5 in you have to keep the driveshaft with it. It's much easier to swap the non turbo 5 speed over.

The info so far is correct.

Only the 82-83 280ZX Turbo came with the B&W T-5 transmission.

The 81 turbo *only* came with an automatic.

The T-5 has a different spline count for the driveshaft, so you have to use the T-5 driveshaft.

Supposedly they're brittle transmissions. Many people say to just use the standard Nissan box. But I like the snick-snick of the gear lever.

I know about the drive shaft spline. The T-5 uses a 240mm clutch but it hasn't been clear to me if the clutch disc spline and the pressure plate (and even the flywheel) are stock Nissan parts or are they specific to the T-5. Can you comment?

I know about the drive shaft spline. The T-5 uses a 240mm clutch but it hasn't been clear to me if the clutch disc spline and the pressure plate (and even the flywheel) are stock Nissan parts or are they specific to the T-5. Can you comment?

I think they are Nissan parts the early 300zx Turbo's had the same clutch & flywheel size.

Another question.fellas.now that I got the tranny out of the 280:my question is does the tranny crossmember on the 510 needs to b moded in order to stick the 280 tranny in or no?

No mater which tranny you have the rear mount will definitely need to be modified.

Still not sure of which transmission you have can you post pictures of it??? http://community.rat...e-photo-albums/

Maybe you can just tell from a photo?

This...

79KC5spd.jpg

... or this one?

BorgWarnerZXT-5.jpg

79KC5spd.jpg

I think mine kinda like the one in the first pic

Then you have the FS5W71B 5 speed used on all non turbo 280zx cars. A good choice as it's more than strong enough for your L20B, relatively light and your drive shaft spline will fit after shortening it. You will need to use the release collar that is now on your 4 speed so don't throw it out.

Here's a handy way to lower your 510 tranny mount to fit the 71B 5 speed by building these two spacers that go between the crossmember and the car body. You could do this with a hand drill but a small drill press is easier.

5105speedmountmods.png

5105speedmountmods001.png