I need to go faster and not pay the big bucks!

You can get plenty of power out of a L16. I've run my '72 Wagon, stock L16 and 4-speed, right up to 80. It has no problems.. My Mom's '73 620, also with a bone-stock L16, could run 65 all day with a half cord of firewood in the bed. Stopping was a different issue.

Stock gearing in a 510 with stock-ish tires should be hitting a lot closer to 55MPH at 3000 RPM. 3K @ 45 is more like 3rd gear. In fact, using the stock 4-speed gear ratios if a normal 510 did 3400 @ 60, it would do 3600 RPM @ 45MPH in 3rd gear.

It shouldn't get hot doing either. That sounds like an ignition timing issue. Could explain the lack of power too.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys!, Im new to Ratsun and need some help! (Sorry if this is a noob question) I have a 1972, 510 with a stock l16. And i'm tired of going 45 in 4th gear with my tac at 3,000rpm and people going around me! Any crazy little tricks to go just a little faster?

Stock 510 will be going 53.72 MPH at 3,000 RPMs in 4th gear. In 3rd gear you would be going 40.9 MPH

or

At 45 MPH you will be at 2512.89 RPMs.

This is with the stock 13" tire 23.4" tall.

60 MPH is 3350 RPMs

70 MPH is 3908 RPMs

80 MPH is 4467 RPMs

90 MPH is 5025 RPMs

100 MPH is 5584 RPMs

How about go faster for no bucks?

i'm tired of going 45 in 4th gear with my tac at 3,000rpm and people going around me!

Then put your foot down. The L16 redline is 7000 RPM man! You don't have it half way there. I drive my Datsun A12 at 4500 RPM for hours at a time -- I keep up with traffic!

i think and my temp is pretty high all the time

Get that fixed first. At freeway speeds the fan is not usually the problem, the radiator is. Also keep in mind that you can run it up to the line before the H before it overheats, so if it is not close, don't worry.

Here is my Datsun truck from a 100+ degree day, pulling a hill to pass a semi. I was doing 4250 RPM.

24907.jpg

It still was not overheating even at this extreme normal range (Datsun owner's manual says normal range is anywhere between the marks). Any hotter though and it would start to overheat (push water out the overflow tube). So it's right on the ragged edge between running hot and overheating. Driving it around the Northwest up to 70 mph it never got anywhere near this temp. I typically cruise at 4000 RPM and the temp stays very close to the middle mark. But it is almost always under 80 degrees here.

Alright here is the story! drove it at 50mph (Don't know for sure, i have no speedo) at like 4.5 on my tac heat stayed around the M in temp im so happy now! you guys made a monster haha. Hoping to take it to the beach next week. If i put new muffler on it will it keep it cooler? I think it a stock muffler on it now. If so whats a good brand size ect. Thanks!

If i put new muffler on it will it keep it cooler? I think it a stock muffler on it now. If so whats a good brand size ect. Thanks!

No.

Leave the stock muffler.

Drive and enjoy.... that's cheap enough.

Panda

PANDA

Your making yourself look bad on here

Dont worry about the muffler and crap like that yet.

I asked you to take photos of everything

If you got electrcal isses you should take photos of the harness and fuse box (Photos!!!!!)

Most times the harness can be fixed Unless totally hacked up.

Now get a test light for 5$. ground one end and place it on all the conncetors in back of the lamps outer and inner(highs) with the pointy end. if it lights up then power is getting to the lamp. Then its a ground proplem from the switch or thru the relay.

If NO power at the lamp ck the fuse box. swap the fuse or remove the fuse box and look under neath the wire could be broken.

as for pipe size I run a 1.75 in with 40mm Mikunis carbs and cam,I dont know where people getting 2.25 and 2.5 in on a L motor is a Joke in m Opinion