anyone done a 5lug swap on a 620????

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look at 5 lug Toyota 2wd trucks fitting. There was a guy years ago told me they would swap onto the 720. Bit of a stretch but the early 720 was similar to the late 620 hubs and brakes. You may need a 'Yota grease seal or bearing.... it was a long time ago.

Why 5 lug? There are tons of Nissan (Titan, Xterra, Hardbody, Pathfinder, ST720) / Chevy/Ford/Mazda/Toyota/Courier/Trooper 6 bolt rims to choose from and then there's after market...

The toyota hubs can be modified to work on the Hardbody spindles.....they use the same bearings.....but putting them on a kingpin spindle is another story. This is about as close as you can get since I've never completely followed through on this. But, it may give you an idea about whether it's worth it or not.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/31842-5-lug-swap-on-kingpins-mklotz70/

Long story made short......there's no "easy" way to do it.

The biggest challenge with going to 4 lug is that the hubs are typically smaller....with smaller bearings. You could turn the spindle down to match, but I wouldn't use it like a truck after that. You might find a bearing that would help, but the kingpin spindle is 32mm.......and there's extremely few options because of that. The stock inner bearing was an OEM spec that was not used by anyone else. The disc trucks, on the other hand, use the same bearing and nearly every other disc truck out there....mazda, ford, luv, toyota, etc...... But the 4 lug hub isn't big enough to open up to fit them. At least none that I've looked at.

ive tried finding many old school wheels and all i can come up with is 18's and bigger and i dont want..im looking to stay 15" or 16" old school hammers or tri fans something in the 90's era

Look harder they are surely out there.

Why 5 lug? There are tons of Nissan (Titan, Xterra, Hardbody, Pathfinder, ST720) / Chevy/Ford/Mazda/Toyota/Courier/Trooper 6 bolt rims to choose from and then there's after market...

Another shame-less plug.These will be for sale shortly:

DSC00561.jpg

Dawa-this was my grandfathers crew on his Subchaser.He spent WWI chasing U-boats.

SC236g-1.jpg

i dig that old photo. the semblance is ridiculous.

• 4 weeks later...

The D21 guys are converting their trucks using Yota hubs after they modify the spindle. The have to take 0.300 off the shoulder. Try searching "hardbody 5 lug conversion". Also look her datsunminitruckin.com they had a post on the topic.

Scott

nis720 has done it and has a writeup somewhere. I did the machine work for him. It's easier to machine the hubs rather than the spindles.

...quick google....here's some of the info....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/28173/1986-nissan-720-pick-up/page-5/