Just got my Datsun home (new guy here)

Vega

Just bought a 1977 datsun b210 4 speed. With the engine and tranny loose inside the bay, in need of a rebuild it seems. Body in decent shape, less some large rust damage where the radiator support meets the frame. battery tray. :(

More pics to come

20121005_163736_zps2ff06127.jpg

Just had an initial question:

What is the length of a driveshaft for a manual car of this year with the a14 engine. I need to source one. Also if anyone has a spare engine I would be interested!

Thanks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That one on ebay is listed as 52 3/4" long. Which is 1340 mm, 10mm too long for the Datsun B210 spec.

center to center listed as 46 3/4" which is 1187 mm, which is 2mm to long.

But it's probably would work given the accuracy of a tape measure reading. All 1975-1978 B210 4-speed driveshafts are the same.

A14 and A15 are identical for same year only, the main difference is crank & pistons. A15 even uses the A14 block and A14 head (there is no unique A15 head or block). There are various A14 versions including round-port vs oval port and closed chamber vs open -- even in the same year.

why would say that? it fits right in there ..

Not exactly. ;)

B110 uses a front sump oil pan.

B210 uses a rear/mid sump oil pan.

B310 uses a front sump oil pan (similar to B110)

To get the A15 into the B210, you must reuse the B210 oil pan and pickup tube.

Now, where it gets tricky is the A15 in the B310 uses a special oil pan that has been clearanced for the longer stroke crank (4 strategic "dents" along one side). The B210 pan is not clearanced for the bigger stroke and if you bolt it straight onto an A15, the rods will hit the oil pan. It makes a nice little ticking sound that sounds exactly like the beginnings of a rod knock. :huh:

You can take a hammer to the B210 pan and make the dents. It likely won't be as pretty as the stock pan, but it will work. And you have to be very careful not to tweak the gasket surface or it won't seal correctly. :thumbup:

So does the a15 bolt up to the tranny?? im not understandng is the oil pan depth low enough to make any difference, other than internally exchangeable with a14?

Also, i see some people with spoilers under the front bnumper, what are people using to fab these? as i assumed these are fabbed?

Just don't use an A12 transmission, which are light duty. But all will bolt up and is the same length. The only exception is the B210 5-speed which is a different length. The 210 5-speeds are same length as the 4-speeds.

A14 and A15 oil pans are the same depth and same shape but the A15 has slight lumps on the sides to clear the larger crank which swings around.

The main problem here is that the B210 oil pan is a mid-sump while B310(210) pan is rear-sump. And they didn't make a B210-with-A15 oil pan.

i see some people with spoilers under the front bnumper, what are people using to fab these?
They buy them off eBay mostly. Old Nissan Competition items or aftermarket air dams. There used to be several companies that made them.

Does that oil pan lump cause a problem with install over any crossmemebers etc? if i install the a15 all together with my tranny should i see any mounting issues? or its all the same, and the oil pan is inconsequential except when swapping parts?