Just another 521 photo shoot.

71datsuns

So tonight I took my 521 downtown to get some good shots. This is what I came up with! I finally got the fender mirrors on and the brand new hood emblem!! Shes coming along nicely! Next weekend, re-indexing the torsion bars to get the front a little lower. Enjoy!!

521027.jpg

521030.jpg

521040.jpg

521045.jpg

521047.jpg

521053.jpg

521058.jpg

521059.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the constructive criticism! I agree with the 1" all the way around metalmonkey! And thanks for all the props! I just found out about the Heritage center last night too! I'm using a Sony A350 with a 35mm lense, most of the photos i left the shutter open for around 8 to 10 seconds, thats why the lights are so vibrant. Also using a tripod, I cant stay that steady for 10 seconds. lol. Thanks again guys! I cant wait to go to some datsun meets!

On a long exposure like that, you should be able to fire off the flash in the middle of it to expose the foreground and it will not have any affect on the background all all. You have to figure out the two exposures differently and most likely compensate a bit for the extended exposure on the foreground. Basically, under expose the flash just a bit since the ambient light will add some too it. You could probably just bracket several exposures and get really close. Some cameras have an option to fire the flash on a long exposure.

nice shots man. looking good. 1inch wont make that much of a difference. i would start with 2inches, but that's just me.i like 'em low.

I like them low too. I want the wheel to be right at the fender, I already have 3" blocks on the back and I heard that bigger blocks do something to the axle?

for blocks bigger than 3in you have to raise the carrier bearing. some guys suggest putting a piece of 1in square tubing between the frame and carrier bearing otherwise it's too much stress on the bearing and could kill it.

DUDE! Thanks for the link! So 3/4 inch spacer for the bearing carrier is a good spacer size for 5" blocks? Now, would I have to do anything else? Or is it just the bearing carrier spacer and 5" blocks? I noticed in the link you were fooling around with the leafs a bit. I would have to remove any would I? Thanks for the help PL.

Although it looks like the mirriors are in my opinion a little to forward.

521fendermirrors.jpg

This is kinda the photo I went off of. To me this looks like a 521 thats pretty close to factory original. But to each their own. Were all different.

if u use 5in blocks u will have to notch the frame. otherwise the axle will be slappin' da frame.

Ah I see. Right now my axle is actually pushing on the rubber bump stops in the rear, could I just cut it in half or will I have to take them all the way out. I mean if I have to notch the frame with 5" blocks, it seems like they wont even be there

I know it seems like I'm asking a lot of questions, I just wanna do this right the first time, this is the first 521 I've ever owned and I want it to be done right. So thanks for the help who ever has given me advice.

I got 4" blocks on my truck.And that to me is to much already.Another thing is as you add blocks,it will bring your spring plate lower and depending on your wheels offset it will hit the spring plate.And if you need bump stops that bad,get a set of energy suspension low profile ones or save the money and do like most of us do and that is remove them.

• Like 1

Love the pics.

I have 4" blocks on mine and 18" wheels. It's very close to being undrivable due to the shock mount hanging below the scrub line.

If you put 5" blocks or even 4" blocks on your truck with the wheels you have now your shock mounts will be below the scrub line.

If you're not familiar with scrub line, it's basically the point at which your vehicle is so low that if you were to have a flat tire, a part of the vehicle would touch the ground before the wheel of the vehicle does. So if you were driving along at 55 and your rear tire were to go flat, the shock mount would catch the ground instead if your truck rolling safely to the shoulder of the road. Just something to be aware of with lowering blocks.

Love the pics.

I have 4" blocks on mine and 18" wheels. It's very close to being undrivable due to the shock mount hanging below the scrub line.

If you put 5" blocks or even 4" blocks on your truck with the wheels you have now your shock mounts will be below the scrub line.

If you're not familiar with scrub line, it's basically the point at which your vehicle is so low that if you were to have a flat tire, a part of the vehicle would touch the ground before the wheel of the vehicle does. So if you were driving along at 55 and your rear tire were to go flat, the shock mount would catch the ground instead if your truck rolling safely to the shoulder of the road. Just something to be aware of with lowering blocks.

Oh, well thanks for the advice! I am definitely going to look into this more and really research it before I just jump into it. Would NOT want that to happen. Mind posting some photos of yours'? Thanks!

I won't clutter up your thread with your nice pics with my crappy pics taken with my phone, but here's a link to my build thread. Pics of mine are on the second page. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/44725-alabama-lowlifes-70-521/page__st__20 I may try to get some good outside pics this afternoon.

• Like 1