Anyone know about dell pc's?

Lately my pc wont turn on, I use to get a flashing amber light but now it's just nothing, won't turn on. I removed the power supply unit and replaced it but I think it's the wrong size. So I put the old power unit back in and it worked again for about a week. Now it's dead again.

Dell Inspiron. Please help

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on what model your Dell is the flashing amber (power button) can mean different things. About 6 weeks ago I replaced the PS on my Studio XPS. When it stopped working the amber light was flashing along with a series of beeps when I would try to restart it. The manual said it that was either a power supply issue of a memory issue. Try to find the manual for your machine and see what it tells you.

When my computer would start up quite a while ago, it would make this clicking sound, I finally quit shutting it off, as it would take longer and longer to boot up, finally one day it failed to boot up properly, and I got a screen I had never seen before that said something about re-installing something or other, I went with the flow till the start button appeared, and I went straight to the recovery mode, and got my computer back, well that lasted for a while till one day the screen melted in front of my eyes, I had to shut it down. :crying:

When I tried to start it up again, all it would do is click and fail, so I got this bright idea, I removed the side access panel, hit the power button, and when it started clicking, I would tap on the harddrive with a screwdriver, and it would actually boot up, but that only worked a couple times before the end inevitably came.

The clicking is a harddrive failure, it is called the "click of death", since I only shut my computer down a half dozen times after the clicking started, it lasted another year.

I had to have the harddrive replaced, somehow the guy that replaced it saved almost all my photos, he is awesome and a great computer guy. allhail_zps16d8249e.gif

It was a unmistakable clicking sound, it would make 3 cycles of 3 clicks before it failed.

So the back of the PC, there is a giant power switch. That is turn on Right? If so, there is a led on the back that is lit up right?

If you had a multimeter you could start testing to make sure the Power supply is giving out power.

Open the computer, and vacuum everything. I have fixed numerous electronics by just vacuuming dust out.

Make sure the power supply works on dell computers they use proprietary power supplies. So you can't just go to the store and buy one off the shelf. The plugs will physicaly connect but the wiring is different.

That USED to be the case, but it is not how they do things now. I put a standard off the shelf Corsair GS700 PS in mine. IF the HD is clicking, its time to back up all your files and decide if you would be better off getting a new PC versus spending money fixing this one. Don't build unless you know what you are doing and can afford to do it right. Too many people build cheap, then wonder why they have problems 6 months later.