Sightings 2, the not a datsun but... Thread

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wouldn't say ignorant, more like inexperienced

The big key to learning is being truly okay with that. Over the years, I have found that many times, I have gotten my mind made up on a particular topic, only to find out I was dead wrong later on. I have noticed a very strong trend in older guys (my age and above) that have a really hard time with admitting they are wrong about something and speak with such conviction on things that they really know very little about, even when they saw the opposite of what they thought to be a fact proven wrong right in front of their own eyes. These guys are stuck and will never learn anything, because they already know everything. Admitting your inexperience is a good thing.

This concludes our heartfelt after school special, now ffffffffffffuck off. :rofl:

• Like 3

Ya know, we all consider these old muscle cars to really be heavy boats, because they have a lot of steel and when you drive them, they feel heavy, but the funny thing is, they really are not that crazy heavy. Like the charger, the old one (440 version) is like 500 pounds less than the new one. There are a lot of goodies on new cars that really add up in weight.

But, I bet if a guy went to yanking parts off of a newer one to make a race car, it would be pretty darn light (I think). If I remember correctly, Ford got that big ass Thunderbolt down to like 3200 and change with the 427 fe in it. I recall one of the big three had acid dipped their body for a trans-am race and made it so thin they were hoping no one leaned on it. Lots of folks don't pay much attention to power to weight ratio, they just throw out big horsepower numbers. Like, the 428 in my Ford truck, it has a 481 horsepower (at the crank), but, it rubs 7000 pounds with me sitting in it, it's no rocket ship. It's why I have always dug the old, standard VW bug. In full dress, they were like 1600 pounds, with most of the weight right over the rear wheels. It's why a lot of people wonder why they just got their ass handed to them by a bug that only has 200 hp. That would be 8 pounds for every one hp. A car like the charger is going to have to be a "TRUE" 500 hp car to pull around it. Not the 500 hp that everyone claims to have, but a real 500. Actually, I think claiming 500 hp died out in the early 90s, now everyone with a smallblock and a chrome air cleaner is 800 hp.

• Like 2

I think claiming 500 hp died out in the early 90s, now everyone with a smallblock and a chrome air cleaner is 800 hp.

There is a guy here in town with a nice little 63 Nova. He claims 450 out of a small block. I've asked him a number of times if he has ever run it on a dyno.

No I haven't. Well then how do you know it has 450??? :rofl:

He probably just thought no one would even question such a small number these days. My own Father was pulling that shit for a while. He bought a hotrod from a guy, that told dad it was 600 hp, so Dad kept parroting it to people. I told him that he was going to say that to the wrong guy one day and embarrass us both. Then, I went too far and told him if it actually broke past 300 at the wheels on a dyno I would pass out in disbelief. He didn't speak to me for a while, but at least he stopped doing it (in front of me).

I agree with you that there is a ton (literally) of extra practically unneeded crap on a car now a days. and the new muscle cars ate putting down some serious numbers, even the v6 in the camaro puts out just over 300bhp. I would be curious to see what a stripped down new car would weigh in at

It rubs me a little wrong to say this, but new shit fuckin hauls when compared to your average muscle car from yesteryear. Most of the stuff old dudes like me considered fast (when stock) were in reality high 14, low 15 second cars. Such as the Mustang GT 390, 1970 454 Chevelle, 396 SS camaro and so on. These days, your average mini cooper does that.