Piss poor shape Michigan 67 Impala 2 Door Fastback

I picked up this car for cheap last year. I've always loved these cars, I want on as bad as I want an early 510. This car was a running, driving car about 5-6 years ago. The original owner took this car to a guy to have floor pans put in it. According to the guy I got it from, the guy never came up with any money so the car sat. The guy sold parts off it and after that proceeded to use it for target practice. There is bullet holes every where, glass is shot out, someone jumped on the roof, etc. After that it sat a couple more years, interior got destroyed the headliner. I saw the car and felt bad for it. I really didn't look at it much before I bought it. This is what I got.

2011-11-19165429.jpg

2011-11-19165406.jpg

2011-11-19165352.jpg

2011-11-19165446.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The car sat here for about a year, deciding what to do with it. I didn't get a title so just taking it to the scrapper is a pain and will cost me more than I would get out of it. I thought about towing it out back and let it sit along with all my uncles old cars that are rotting into the dirt. Well I got this probably stupid but crazy idea of getting it to run / drive / stop so I can either run it at the drag strip with the hopes of eventually making a dirt track race car.

This is what it looks like now.... pretty much the same but I started to pull the interior.

253843_10151010884181937_231308842_n.jpg

420102_10151010884316937_161082949_n.jpg

430340_10151010884501937_144763774_n.jpg

225174_10151010884721937_1146901113_n.jpg

I love the 60's Impala's but a Datsun that is in the same condition just doesn't seem as bad as tackling this car. When they are this bad I think it's the shear size of these cars that seams intimidating. When replacing the bottom of a quarter panel goes from replacing 2ft of metal on a Datsun to 5ft of metal on this etc. The other problem I have now days is that you can't easily use them to run around in because parking spaces are to small around here.

Sorry the phone flubbed up....

People here are inconsiderate and just don't care about anything. You can't even leave you phone in your car because someone will steel it. I've even seen a friend selling his jeep, they took it on a test drive, cut the converter off, and parked the jeep down the road.

• 4 weeks later...

awesome the 67's are a fave of mine. bad shape and all i like that you're making an effort to get it driving again. it's motivating cause i have a '66 that has been sittimg for longer than i'd like to say. Ever since i got into Datsuns i've sorta neglected my chevy.

67 I my favorite year Impala but I do like the 66. All the old timers like the 65 for the tail lights, I like the 67 because its got it all--- great body looks, room to fit any motor you want to fit in it, a dash that gives you a "muscle car" feel, and a pretty sweet interior. If only my 68 galaxie had the muscle car feel, it feels like a muscle car but has the dash of a grandmas car.

well i have it running, my problem I was having is with the drive shaft. I put a long tail transmission in it and the original was a short tail shaft transmission. I think I found the solution, the original drive shaft was 63" and the long tail shaft is 3" longer so I needed a 60" drive shaft. I didn't want to cut mine because short tail transmission are alot easier to find if mine failed. A friend of mine deals with chevy trucks about mid 90's and said the rear part of his two piece drive shaft on an extended cab, long bed 2wd is 60". He also had an extra so he gave it too me yesterday. I haven't tried to put it in or see what I need to make it work yet. The weather has been crappy, raining every day and its cold. I may not get to doing much until next year after winter breaks. I still have to pull the motor in my 63 Mercury Meteor to fix the oil leak, that is my normal winter driver. I also have a 74 620 I'm trying to get done so I'm kinda bouncing between a couple cars atm.

I've only seen hideaways in Capris's. I just rewatched the original Dirty Harry from 71. I seen several Impalas, Datsun's, old Fords but all these cars were normal cars back then. Also Dirty Harry drives a 68 Galaxie 500 4 door probably with a 428, its just like 68 galaxie but mine is a 2 door hard top 390 car.

Thanks. I don't know how much saving I can do for this car. My goal with the car is to get it to run and drive, get some glass in it, patch the floors, and get it to have brakes. The frame is in bad shape, I did notice that if I jack the car up behind the front wheel, the car flexes bad, you can see it in the fenders easily. After I get it moving, I'll fix what I can to keep it together... fix what comes apart as it comes apart.

Imagine if I can keep it looking like this and be somewhat fast, it would be the most unexpected sleeper.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...