New here - with Datsun A15 powered MG Midget

rbastedo

Guest jaimesix
we can help you out if you can't get a new gasket ;)

Why don't you get lost moron. All you do is monger with your double end sword comments .

Get lost reatard.

Jaime.___________________________________________________-

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny...

I've got a classic chicken & egg problem here.

Can't get the right gasket until I pull the manifold, don't want to pull the manifold without the right gasket.

I guess I'll just have to fix the brakes on one of my other MG's so I have something else to drive and then go ahead and pull the intake.

I do have a full tube of Permatex. :lol:

I'm betting this is the one:

f570_1.JPG

The spacing between the ports & the bolts really makes me believe I've got the small round ports. Will there be anything I can do (besides custom fab?) to get either one or two side draft carbs on this head?

Why don't you get lost moron. All you do is monger with your double end sword comments .

Get lost reatard.

Jaime.___________________________________________________-

Maybe you should read your sig ;)

I'm betting this is the one:

f570_1.JPG

The spacing between the ports & the bolts really makes me believe I've got the small round ports. Will there be anything I can do (besides custom fab?) to get either one or two side draft carbs on this head?

again, there's variations in the bolt patterns vs. intake port type

likewise, there are intake manifolds to go with either bolt pattern

f570_1.JPG

No wait, that gasket isn't right for my motor.

The exh on the far left has a bolt on top, no this gasket wouldn't fit.

There must be more with round ports - hmmm...

Is the gasket in the picture upside down??

Yes, and it's also not the right one.

With the distance from my ports to the studs I am 99.9% sure I have round ports. Are there manifolds for round port heads and SU carbs?

Yes, and it's also not the right one.

With the distance from my ports to the studs I am 99.9% sure I have round ports. Are there manifolds for round port heads and SU carbs?

unfortunately no

because the factory su (hitachi) carbs came only on the gx spec cars

and gx heads have the oval ports

they do make single or dual sidedraught intakes for small, round ports however

they do make single or dual sidedraught intakes for small, round ports however

Aha - now you have my interest - a single carb sidedraft manifold would be great!

What I need is to get clearance under hood for an air filter. The Hitachi downdraft necessitated the PO cutting a hole in the hood for an air filter to be mounted. It was a "less than elegant" implementation. (I have pictures - see below)

I'd very much like to put a single sidedraft carb on, that would greatly simplify everything!

Where can I get one? I don't even know what to look for!

100_3149.JPG

Thanks again!

Ok, over at Datsun1200 I found a thread discussing something like this.

They seem to have come to the conclusion that some of the US cars had an A14 economy head on them that had round ports with the same bolt pattern as the oval port heads. This sounds like mine.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=27446&forum=1&31

I could take the standard intake manifold and hack it up and try creating my own sidedraft manifold... That could get ugly real fast.

I have yet to spot (after less than exhaustive searching) a sidedraft manifold for my engine. I'll keep looking though!

ah ok, so you've got the crummy head ...

then you might have a real tough time finding any aftermarket intake that fits

you could always pull the head and have the stud pattern re-drilled

or just get an a15 head from the wreckers, and start with a better head to begin with

Yeah, I'll keep my eyes open for a nice oval port head I can refresh or rebuild.

Meanwhile I might just get a spare standard intake from somewhere and start cutting.

WTH - it won't cost much & the worse I can do is destroy it & throw it away - and I might just make it work. Who knows?

I found one on Ebay - but the guy wants $43 for shipping!

It looks like mine, but I'd want a picture of it from the port angle to be sure.

I think that if I go the way of modifying a stock manifold I'd want a replacement, so I could have one thing that I know for sure would work (the existing Hitachi downdraft). Actually I'd modify the replacement and keep the one on my engine now as a backup.

99bf_1.JPG

You can buy the gaskets just about anywhere you can buy gaskets for any car. In other words, at the auto parts store or from the Nissan dealer.

That manifold is good for 65 HP after you convert it to twin carbs. If you put an A15 head on it with single carb, you will have an 85 HP.