Header troubles

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

I recently bought a header from a guy out in Everett a few weeks ago. Today I tried putting it in and the damn thing wouldn't clear the torsion bar. He said it came from a 79 with an L20b. I've got a 76 L20b and didn't think there would be any difficulties. I've tried unbolting the motor mounts, shifting the K member and tranny to one side. Just about every reasonable combination of things and got really close, but no luck. It's like cramming 10 lbs of sh*t into a 5 lb bag. Does anyone know if the collector is supposed to fit between the frame and torsion bar, or are they supposed to fit between the tranny and the torsion bar. He said it fits, and I'm determined to try again tomorrow so any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It will fit, though when I did a customers when I worked a the shop in Tacoma I decided I would rather shoot myself than try to put one on or take it off. It huggs the trans very tightly, and actually sort of curls under the bellhousing. I think the easiest way would probably to remove the intake completly, and sorry if the header is ceramic coated or your trans and tortion bar is painted, because it is now scratched. Good luck, and on second thought it might be easier to mount it upside down:D

Guest DatsuNoob

Thanks Glengemen, so it's supposed to fit around the tranny then. That's kinda what I figured, just wanted to confirm, there just doesnt seem to be enough clearance between the torsion bar and frame, so it made sense to me to do it that way. It is definitely a pain in the ass, and I'll probably never do one again but I'm gonna get her in today, even if it takes all friggin day :eek:

I assume you have the intake off also? And you might have to adjust the Crank case tube to get out of the way.

Persoanlly I would always suggest the Short tube header. Not because its better but it fits & cleans up the nasty L20 type exhaust manifold that are hard to get the intake/exhausted mating bolts

. Then you can tell your friends ,IT has a header!!!!!!!!!!I will go faster!!!!!!

a early L16 type exhaust manifold is just as good but I Dont Know if it fits between the torsion bar/tranny. Somebody

Headers are expensive (even $50 is too much for the bother), noisy, eventually rusty, PITA to install (almost worth the trouble to get rid of later) and give dissapointing return for the investment in time and money. (Gee, I still can't lay rubber!) $200 for 2 1/2 hp above 5,000 RPMs? If you feel otherwise, you haven't lived with them long enough!!

Guest DatsuNoob

hmmmm... well I've decided to return the header to the guy I bought it from. It'a the long type, and I really dont see it working out. I went as far as removing the right side motor mount too to get that out of the way so I'd have a little more room to work with, and still no luck. I spent about four hours evalutating every possible angle I could go and finally I just decided to try and find an L16 exhaust manifold with a downpipe. I just couldnt see how it went in there without pulling the motor and dropping it back in, and I wasn't about to remove a torsion bar to try to work it in around that. What a pain in the ass, does anyone got a short tube header for sale?

Many years ago I put a header on my 521 and remember removing the driver's torsion bar, it wasn't that much work. Raise the truck and let the wheel hang free. Loosen and remove the adjuster bolt at the rear of the torsion bar. Remove the dust cover (just ahead of this) and remove the snap ring underneath it, then slide the anchor arm (with adjuster) to the rear and off. Withdraw the torsion bar from the front lower control arm and remove from under the vehicle. So just one nut to remove. I think I tightened some vise grips on the bar and tapped with a hammer to get it to move to the back and out of the lower control arm, it was just stuck.

Mike the 521 is ezer to remove the torsion bar. But the 620 uses 2 C clips I believe. Or what Jeff told me is a little more intense.

The 521 is remove the anchor bolt and the bolt on the A arm and wack it out(what me and Jeff did on his 521)

Just buy a short tube header dude!!!!!!!!!!!

Top End Performance.

Your Spending alot of TIME and agrevation to save 50$

Guest DatsuNoob

Anyone want my header for $60 I bought it for $75 and dont want to deal with it anymore. If I give it back to the guy I bought it from he's just gonna try and get $75 again form somebody who's into Datsuns.

dont know if this helps.. but heres mine.. well what pics i have anyway..... i havent seen any others like mine.. but it doesnt seem to be a tight fit.. when i had the head of it moved freely a few inches in all directions .. well how ever far the exhaust pipe would let it.. but it seems to clear the torsion bar and frame well and it isnt very close to the tranny

P6260074_thumb.jpg

P1100060_thumb.JPG

engine_thumb.jpg

Guest DatsuNoob

I finally got the Fuc*er in there (with the help of Punkin210), and I'll probably drown myself before ever choosing to do one ever again. We had to pull the motor mount, radiator, and shroud, then slide the motor forward about four or five inches to get the clearance from the torsion bar (thank god for slip yokes :D that's about all they're good for). Well, it's in and looks great next to my polished intake from Hainz, cant wait to hear what it sounds like. Dude was right, it hugs the tranny so tight, I'll probably hear it rattling until I get a chunk of header wrap in between.

Guest DatsuNoob

yeah, I made damn sure of that before wedging that sucker in there. It has tabs about 3/16" thick welded on the location of the washers so it'll mount flush. I hear ya, I hope it doesn't leak too, but I get the impression that Frank's a good guy and wouldn't sell a hunk-o-shite just to turn a buck or two, but if it does, I'll be taking that sawzall and 9" metal blade to it. I like the look of those shorty headers too, especially that chrome one you got, they're pretty sexy lookin' (compared to my homemade high school metal shop project lookin thing anyway). I'm just glad it finally got in there.

I get the impression that Frank's a good guy and wouldn't sell a hunk-o-shite just to turn a buck or two

I was at Franks house yesterday, he was talking about that header, he said he had it on a truck, and even if you couldn't get it on he was going to give your cheddar back. He did mention that it was really close to the tranny though :D After doing my ka swap I can see why, torsion bars seal all the room!

He is a great Datsun guy always there to help. Once when I first meet him a year or so ago we went out to the industrial area by his house to do dough nuts. Well I hit a pot whole and smashed my sr oil pan. We got it back to his place and checked it out.... Sure as shit the pan was crushed, after pulling it we realized it got hit so hard the oil pick up broke off. Frank gave me and my girlfriend a rid all the way back to Seattle. When I came back with a new pick up tube he straightened my squished pan, painted it and reinstalled it. I didn't even get my hands dirty, on top of it he gave me oil, since we had to drain mine. Thanks Frank :D

KA-510 got it on video if anyone is interested :D poor oil pan :(

Guest DatsuNoob

yeah, I liked Frank when I met him. He seemed very genuine and welcomed me into his garage to check out all his cool stuff. We stood around and b.s.'ed for awhile about Datsun stuff. He told me to keep the header, try to work it out later, and he would give me a free stock exhaust mani, and downpipe. Good guy, just wished he would've told me what a pain the ass it was to install one of these so I knew what to expect. Oh well, I never thought he was out to rip me off or anything, and I think I should probably give him a call and tell him everything turned out okay so he can post that exhaust manifold on craigslist and sell it like he planned originally.

I Love to work on cars and was happy to help get that one on the truck-em-up. I think I will start looking for a header for mine for before my buddy does my exhaust. I am wondering if the square to round thing is gonna be a problem. Hey Noob, you get that hole tapped out yet? I'll help ya get it if ya need. I wanna hear it!

Guest DatsuNoob

yeah, I'll be looking for a heli-coil today, and they say the square to round thing is no good, but fu*k it, if I do burn a valve it'll just gimme an excuse to go get the W53 head and bolt that shit on, I dont care, it's not like I'll burn a valve the first day I drive it.