TOYS! Wasted time??

Does anybody else waste time custom painting & detailing things like Hot Wheels cars?? It's a very relaxing hobby!

I started these Hot Wheels 510's, but haven't finished detailing & clear coating. I carefully drill out the rivets, glassbead the bodies, paint, detail and clearcoat. I'll tell ya, with the addition of the Hot Wheels BRE car, I now have access to the KILLER MiniLite/Panasport/Konig style wheels that they have on them, but I haven't started scouring those up yet (can't find them here in Michigan, only on eBay!!).........

510s1.jpg

510s2.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did this Micro Machines 510 Coupe a few years ago. I bought a set of the reproduction AFX scale BRE decals, and only used a few for that classic 80's style. In retrospect, I should have blacked out those stupid speakers on the parcel shelf, but hey, whaddya gonna do!

musclemachine1.jpg

musclemachine2.jpg

musclemachine3.jpg

IM004548.jpg

I just finished these Rat Rods for a buddy of mine. Hope to present to him on Friday! He has both of them in the real thing, Hot Wheels came out with them, he heard I had LOTS of spare time, and I offered..............

ratrods1.jpg

ratrods2.jpg

ratrods3.jpg

ratrods4.jpg

• Like 1

datrod, how the hell did he make a Wagon? Pics, description..............????????? :confused:

I have no idea. I'll snap a few pics and post them. He goes by stilltwisted here on ratsun.

If you have a walmart nearby... who doesn't... check out the adventure wheels line. I have sourced quite a few nice sets of wheels from there. They have a 70.5 camaro with a killer set of BBS style rims. Oh yeah, they also make a killer flatbed tow truck...

I did this 1969 Mercury Cougar Eliminator, after helping a buddy on a restoration of one, but liked it so much, I didn't give it to the owner! Dang moulded plastic parts won't hold paint.........the rear spoiler is already peeling!!

cougar2.jpg

cougar1.jpg

cougar3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you thin down some flat black paint a little, just dab it into the horizontal grille slats, and it should "flow" the length with just a l'il help.........adds depth to the grille! I use a flat-style (not the round style) toothpick, sometimes "whittled down" to a smaller point. If you get paint on the raised chrome areas, just wipe it off with a cotton Q-tip or a tissue. Also, on this Ratsun build, I realized that the front turn signals are actually molded in, just above the front bumper! They are difficult to paint, but they are there!

I really like the totally blacked out wheels on the red car!!

So is the white car a Hot Wheels body on a different chassis?? It's definately........ummmmmm........different!! :thumbup:

The other thing that I just realized, is that you can remove all of the crappy Hot Wheels decals, and end up with some decent paint colors...........white with blacked out hood, blue, yellow with blacked out hood, black, copper etc etc. I think the white sides on the BRE car are actually decals (along with all the other decals!), which would get you a red car.........haven't messed with that yet, cuz I only have two of those cars!

"Playing" with little toys is awesome! I've done a couple Hot Wheels, my 510 and a Kenmeri. 4f7bc0cf.jpg

They take up less room and cost less than the full size version. And you can normally do more than one variation. If you like doing things on small scale, you can prob make a living at it. I think it'd be sweet.

If you thin down some flat black paint a little, just dab it into the horizontal grille slats, and it should "flow" the length with just a l'il help.........adds depth to the grille! I use a flat-style (not the round style) toothpick, sometimes "whittled down" to a smaller point. If you get paint on the raised chrome areas, just wipe it off with a cotton Q-tip or a tissue. Also, on this Ratsun build, I realized that the front turn signals are actually molded in, just above the front bumper! They are difficult to paint, but they are there!

I really like the totally blacked out wheels on the red car!!

So is the white car a Hot Wheels body on a different chassis?? It's definately........ummmmmm........different!! :thumbup:

Thanks, good advice about the grille and the toothpick idea which I'll have to try.

The white car is a combination of three cars. 510 body and chassis and bits I ratted off two other models whose style/ names now elude me.

I have to admit, I was moderately affected by Alcohol when I did this one :)

You've inspired me to custom build a goon now!

Heading to the mall this morning so will see what other models I can buy and possibly cut and shut. Will get the Dremel working overtime on this one! Might have to solder the body parts onto the shell.

I use the same method as you when pulling the cars apart and also am lucky enough to have a bead blaster in my arsenal of tools.

Damm me and my inability to concentrate on one project at a time :)