Stalled the car, wouldn't restart.

cjzeppy

Last night I took the car out on it's maiden voyage to the gas station and to the local main street. I was downshifting at a 4 way stop, and when I started moving I stalled the car, and I couldn't restart the engine. I had a few friends come help me and we tried to push start the engine. After two tries we jump started the engine and we got her back on the road.

The battery that was in the car when I bought it was replaced with another one that works (it was out of my daily driver). The alternator was rewired by the previous owner, but I think maybe the starter solenoid is bad. Anyone have the same issue?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Test your battery. Clean battery terminals and apply grease.

Test for a system draw if battery is being drained. youtube has many great how-to-beginner vids

Check and clean your battery cables ends. Perform a voltage drop test on them.

Test your alternator and see if it is mal-functioning as well. If it's not charging = a problem for you !

what do you mean by you stalled the car after downshifting ?

were you racing it or just simply killed it ?

Does the starter not turn over the engine when the key is turned to "start" position ?

You mean you push started the car correct ?

Re-wired alternator to a zx internal regulated alternator ?

Datsun starters do go out .. high turn-over rate for shitty re-manufactured piles of shit ( that I still buy lol )

280zx gear reduction starters are an excellent upgrade for most l-series.

Test your battery.

Test for a system draw.

what do you mean by you stalled the car after downshifting ?

were you racing it or just simply killed it ?

Does the starter not turn over the engine when the key is turned to "start" position ?

You mean you push started the car correct ?

Re-wired alternator to a zx internal regulated alternator ?

I didn't stall it while downshifting, I was trying to move from a stop and I let the clutch out too fast and stalled it. The car started 99% of the time, but when I stalled it last night it wouldn't restart. Yes we push started the car, but after two attempts we couldn't get the car to restart. My buddy jump started the car because in case the battery didn't have enough volts to turn the starter (which is why I used a battery I knew works). It has an ER alternator, and a new voltage regulator. Engine is a L20B out of a 80s truck, and the wiring is out of a 71 510.

Well then you need two things... Fuel and Spark.

Take air filter off look down and pump gas.... see any squirt? Is there fuel in the sight glass in the front of the carb? or you have a weber?

Take plug wire off and put an old plug in end, lay on grounded surface. Crank motor. See any sparks?

• Like 1

I think it was spark, because the other times I started the engine it would fire up with no issues. My theory is that because this was the first time I drove the car and the longest the engine was running it might be a charging issue of the battery. This was an issue before with the two previous owners.

engine was running it might be a charging issue of the battery.

Then get a volt meter and measure it.

You should be cking this before driving it anyways, WTF

The previous two owners "supposedly" solved this issue. If I would of known there was still an electrical issue then I wouldn't of driven the car.

I went out to check the voltage at idle, and it was at 15.5-16 volts. It's a little high, but at least it wasn't decreasing. I don't know what might of happened the other night. My step dad thinks an air bubble might of caused the engine to rise in temp, and I still think the starter solenoid is bad. I'm going to drive the car around the block tomorrow to see if I can re-create what happened.

I think it was spark, because the other times I started the engine it would fire up with no issues. My theory is that because this was the first time I drove the car and the longest the engine was running it might be a charging issue of the battery. This was an issue before with the two previous owners.

Engine would crank, but not start.

I went out to check the voltage at idle, and it was at 15.5-16 volts. It's a little high, but at least it wasn't decreasing. I don't know what might of happened the other night. My step dad thinks an air bubble might of caused the engine to rise in temp, and I still think the starter solenoid is bad. I'm going to drive the car around the block tomorrow to see if I can re-create what happened.

Now it's overheating?

Now the starter solenoid??? Too many 'I thinks'.

If it cranks the starter is fine.. If 15 volts the charging system is fine.

You probably just flooded it and it needed time to clear it out. Next time hold the gas down and avoid pumping it as this only makes it worse. Crank until it starts.

Now it's overheating?

Now the starter solenoid??? Too many 'I thinks'.

If it cranks the starter is fine.. If 15 volts the charging system is fine.

You probably just flooded it and it needed time to clear it out. Next time hold the gas down and avoid pumping it as this only makes it worse. Crank until it starts.

Sorry that I couldn't give accurate details on what happened. I'm not familiar with carbureted engines. I'm hoping that it was a one time ordeal.

^ Ditto. Too many times I have been stranded at a stoplight, waiting for my carb to de-flood itself. (Prior problem on an old 65 Chevy truck)

Hopefully it won't happen again. if it does, now you know what to do! DatzenMike is a genius. :thumbup:

Put the lights on when car running and if still 15volts then its overcharging(usaully a bad volt reg) and will cook the battery acid out.

Hopefully you dont have a external A;ltrnator in there with a rewired for Internal volt reg alt.

It is an external alternator, but I'm not sure about the regulator. I'll message Brad (MR.BOHICA) who installed the new regulator to see if it was external or internal. Again, I can not thank DatzenMike and everyone else who is helping me. Without you guys I would of bought a Hanes book and did the trial and error method. lol