no spring compressor...will this work?

afbrian13

stock 76 280z...

The whole point of spring compressors is to keep tension on the spring so you can undo the top nut. With the strut still in the car and on the ground, could you remove the nut then jack up the car to remove spring tension? Remove the strut from the car, play with the springs, reassemble the strut, lower the car and put the nut back on?

Would this work since I don't have a spring compressor? I hate those little cheap things from the auto parts store and have read about them slipping off.(bad bad news) At least this way the spring is in the strut tower and your outside. Can't see why this isn't an option...

Anyone done this before? Other ideas besides taking the struts by a shop to remove the springs?

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No I wouldn't try it. You could get the nut off but when lifting the car you would reach a point where the strut is hanging but the spring is still compressed and there's no where to go. If you undo the bottom bolts of the strut at the lower control arm the compressed spring will suddenly push it down and out. Not a good idea I think.

I made my own getto spring compressor.

OK again weather is freezing but sunny so I'm diving into the strut disassemble. Thought about it last night and if you can bounce a front end by hand you should be able to compress a spring by hand with a leaver. So this morning I found a 2X12 cedar plank (smaller fir would be as strong and probably better but it's what I had) used the strut to leave an impression and drilled holes for the 3 top strut mounting studs to sit up in. Next I jig sawed a larger hole in the middle so I could unbolt the strut nut. In theory I set the plank under a beam on my wood shed, set the strut upright under the plank with the 3 studs in the holed to anchor it and pulled down on the end of the plank....

struts002Large.jpg

And easy as pie it compresses nicely. I look around and there's a 5 gallon pail full to the rim with ice. Hang this on the end of the plank and now free to unbolt the strut nut.

struts001Large.jpg

Used my electric impact wrench. Lifted the pail off the end and eased the plank up. It rises maybe a foot higher at the pail end now. With the pressure released I lifted the plank off and collected the parts.

710 and Maxima strut springs...

struts006Large.jpg

Maxima strut disassembled...

struts003Large.jpg

The first max strut had this up under the top of the spring. It's the rebound bumper. $20 ouch! Have to find something else.

struts005Large.jpg

So to finish the morning I separated the second Maxima strut and saved all the parts. The other 710 strut is still on the goon. I plan to shorten the 710 spring at least as short as the Maxima one and maybe a half coil more. This will better fit the shorter travel Maxima strut and stiffen the 710 spring at the same time.

I didn't know what to expect, and was afraid the free length might be higher than I could lift the lever to release the spring, but it was fine. I did not try to put a strut back together, (you would need two people to thread the insert back up through the top hat) instead I cut the lower strut mounts off and used split collars to make the ride height adjustable.

stock 76 280z...

The whole point of spring compressors is to keep tension on the spring so you can undo the top nut. With the strut still in the car and on the ground, could you remove the nut then jack up the car to remove spring tension? Remove the strut from the car, play with the springs, reassemble the strut, lower the car and put the nut back on?

Would this work since I don't have a spring compressor? I hate those little cheap things from the auto parts store and have read about them slipping off.(bad bad news) At least this way the spring is in the strut tower and your outside. Can't see why this isn't an option...

Anyone done this before? Other ideas besides taking the struts by a shop to remove the springs?

Thanks!

Ive done this a couple times, both on front wheel drive cars. It worked just as you were thinking it would -

Point should be made that Mike was doing that on stock 710 struts .. fuck, I could just put my body weight on 710 struts and almost compress the springs enough

280zx springs could kill you. 710/510 springs probably could too. but they are WAY easier to compress, if you have to ask, you're gonna die

Had to remove '84 Maxima wagon springs (pretty much the same as zx springs) from their struts as well as the 710s to swap the springs. The Maxima springs have a higher spring rate but the 710 are longer. 150 vs.100 pounds.

When I first saw datzenmikes homemade system ,,,

I wasn't sure what to think lol ,,,

after staring at it for a few seconds ,,,

he does know what he is doing and can make it happen !

You might be able to rent a set,,,,

from an autoparts store ( loan program )

or a ratsun member ,,,

I am sure someone might be willing to.

I would STRONGLY advise you to

spend the dough on some spring compressors ,,,

Like you stated ,,,The problem with some cheap spring compressors is they are not built as nearly as heavy as they should be. ( even though they will do the job )

If you can afford to ,,, get 2 sets of them ,,, use 3 if you can ( probably not likely but it is for safety )

What you are proposing may work as that's how suspension work is done :)

You might run into a giant problem attempting to line up your new Bumpstops with this method !!!

( trying to visualize in my head lol )

IDK it could work ,,, but for that very reason I would rent/buy the compressors

Compressing springs is serious shit ,,,

Brother worked with a guy a les schwab when he was 17

He was pulled into the office at his first day back from the weekend

An employee was killed in the next stall over from his the prior day ,,,

One employee was compressing springs ( truck) ,,, they "guessed" somehow it "slipped" out ,,, shot out ,,, hit the guy straight in the chest ,,, he was pronounced dead instantly after emergency CPR.

A different store about 2 miles away ,,, had a spring shoot out while being compressed

shot straight up into the air ,,,

and landed about 80ft away from the store in TRAFFIC,

I won't lie

When I am compressing big or small springs I get a little bit nervous and am more careful/attentive.

I know a guy that made a giant bow/arrow out of a leaf spring lol.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

O'reilys has spring compressors to use for free. You give them a credit card or cash $55.00. This ensures you will bring them back, and when you do you get the full amount refunded. Painless and may save your ass or at least make it easier to reassemble. I used the cars weight at one point and had no ill effects. Put a jack under control arm and slowly lowered after bolt was removed spring should safely stay inside the shock tower and fender.