need help in washington state with my 521

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Running lights really dont need the alternator.

Remember the feed wire to the fuse box.

the running lights will be output power from fusebox. ck the connections

soemtimes the fuses might look good. Cahnge them out anyways with the correct amperage

I'll ck those thank you. But what I meant was could my alt have been what made my truck just spotter a little and die and not want to start

after It stopped. That was my problem a few days ago after driving for about 25 minutes. Also longest drive Ive had sence I put the engine in. " It was sitting for 20 plus years"

The reverse lights will only work with the key on. If you have to work on the reverse lights for a while, unplug the wire on the distributor to the points, from the coil.

Here is a picture under one of my Datsun 521 trucks.

ReverseLightPower.jpg

I am checking for power to the reverse light switch, in this picture. The reverse light switch wires are red, with a black stripe. One of the red w/black wires always has power with the key on. The other red w/black wire goes to the reverse lights. It gets power when the transmission is in reverse.

BackProbe.jpg

Here is a picture of how I backprobed the connector, to check for power.

Youve seen these two truck huh??

I have.

Jaret's greenish one was in my yard for close to 9 months waiting for him to deliver parts.

The red one was in a field in Pasco, along the river across the street from Jaret's uncles house.

We should talk.

flatcat should help !!!!!!!

alternator belt loose???????

If the alternator is not charing eventlually the battery will drain out truck stops running

Charge the battery up and put a diguital volt meter across it.

1)Test at idle, take reading

2)than rev it up

3)then put the headlights on

the reverse lights not working is a minor issue and worry about the lights and why it dies first.

I had one of these , plug in cig lighter and doesnt drain the battery,you can monitor it when good and always cking youll know soemthing is up before it soemthing goes wrong to far from home(hopefully). Theres different version out there but they work.

http://iequus.com/Product/3721/Battery-Monitor

flatcat should help !!!!!!!

Flatcat would.

But I have history with this truck.

And this owner is friends with previous owner.

With that on the table-this dude probably doesn't even want my help.

Who knows the story this guy has heard aboot me.

(For my side of that story- http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34520-abandoned-vehicle/ )

Man I can forsure use some help. This is my first datsun and frist time really doing anything but I love it.

Lreaning whats what.

Jaret is my gfs cuzin. And I got his truck for 500 bucks, with two other engines, We'll one was half a engine. But

yeah there is a huge wiring problem. Maybe not huge but forsure has one, I just got back from driving and my blnker lights

went out but came back on after hitting a few bumbs my running lights and reverse lights don't work either.

I also think my engine is running kinda wired. Can I post videos on here I recored it running.

Wowzers.

I know that carb has seen better days.

And if the long block was the only thing swapped into the green truck, then suspect some PCV issues along with a close to FUBAR'd carb.

As far as the electrical-that will just need to be sorted out in person.

40 year-old system-and that green truck has seen better days.

Between Jaret and the previous owner, it's a nightmare.

Did he give you any history?

And i got the red truck from the feild by Jarets uncals house. I live there. youve been out here right and looked at the red one right?

I have.

It was supposed to be mine.

That's also how they now what engine it has in it.

'Cuz I told them.

That motor is a Japanese imported crate motor.

W53 head on an L16.

No history. and Ive got a weber on it now. Some of the stuff you said I have know I idea what it means

haha I had to change the cluch and that was it, there was an inch and a hald diffrece between them.

Jaret bets shit up and I knew that before I got this truck from him so I knew I had my work cut out for me.

Also whenever you have free time give be a call or text some help would be awesome!