head surface on a (a87) L18

i hope that i can convey my consern ,, i took an a87 head in for an valve job ,, they complete the valve job [new seats ,new intake valves, used ex valves , new valve guides ] ,,,,when i took the head in it still had the valves & rocker adjusters in it ,, i ask them to check the head out,, as the eng had an head gasket leak ,,, they complete the valve job then they tell me that the head is warped !!!!!after the fact i would have found another head to start with ,, the top surface is just 10thou out ,, high in the center ,, he says that he can surface the top just like the bottom ,, i know that it will need cam tower shims,,, should i be concened im worried that rockers might not ride on the cam corectly,, or have lashcap problens .?!?!

any help would be wonderful

this is my first (L) eng ,,, but i have done many others

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda sucks that they wound not tell you its warped then do the head.

I had a after market cam installed on mine so I cant tell if theyre wound be a difference if they wack another 10thou off the top. Might not be a proplem

hopefully the valve seats and valve stem height is preety much right on.(can be off a little) but youll know when dialing up the rocker lash.

I would think the cam would bind a little in the towers if the head was warped.(cam tower not lined up)

I agree, if the cam spins freely without rockers the run it.

Why they would even start a valve job on a warped head is beyond me... A good machine shop should check the head completely before doing any work.

I'm with o'le yeller, that shop did you rotten. They owe you your money, plain and simple. I always thought that when they do a head job they check for eveness, no sense of rebuilding one when it is warped.

i havent payed any thing yet ,, but i going to argue the point paying for surfaceing on the top ,,, i feel that it should have been check ,that was one of the first thing i told them to do, after removing the valves ,,,

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR IMPUT ,

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way that a head can be checked by Us (novice at home, not by shop) first? What do they use that We don't have laying around Our garages? Can a lazor leveler be used?

Also, once again as I can not find the thread..............

What are the desiarable heads to look for? My chopped truck and My 1972 1/2 have 210 heads. Both Funtana and Wasserman's wonder (1974s) have A87 heads. Another motor that I own has a U67 head. and I have two W53 heads and a W58 on another motor. Is the 210 a SSS head? Thanks.

Well, I should have looked at David Murphy's site before asking that. I see the differences. I guess that I should get rid of My 210 heads. But which of what I own are My best performance choices? Down the road I do plan to have nice motors in My trucks. That will be later though as I am concentrating on bodywork first.

I have four A87 heads, two W53, two 210, one U67 and one W58. Also I still have one more motor to look at (which is a stock 1976 truck) to see what that head number is. On junkyard runs what heads should We ALL be looking for and how much $$$$?

210s basically an L16 head, small ports and valves square exhaust ports.

W-53 larger valves, square exhaust ports, small diameter port runners

U-67 larger valves, square exhaust ports, larger port runners, open chamber. On '75-'77 620s there was no coolant holes for the intake manifold.

W-58 larger valves, round exhaust ports, larger port runners, exhaust ports have steel liners but I have removed them before. Open chamber used on late model 620s '78-'79. I did have a p-nut from a '79 200sx.