My rusty 77 datsun 710

shfty

Shifty. What backspace numbers did you use on your front and rear wheels? I could get a set made for my ride, but would appreciate your numbers for starters.

In the past I have made some stretchies but w/o actually checking in on backspace, ending out with sticking ( out) wheels which is not my style.

Yours look great. Share your recipe.

Cheers

i cant remember i got it written down somewhere but they are basiclly the stock wheels with a hoop welded on to the outside i think if i remember right i added 4 inches but the backspacing stays the same as stock
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you need a trunk or just want to ship me that two door, i will gladly take it off your hands :P

I've had someone tell me it needs rescued from living on the coast already.... for now it is a suspension/parts rebuild donor... wagon has to be "smoggable" by early 2014, so I may decide to attempt a reviva of the 2dr before then.... we will have to see how it goes. What I REALLY need is a set of pedals from a manual car. The 2dr is an auto, and i wont drive one, (i dont know how....lol)

Other suggestions I have been getting about the 2dr involve making it a low budget track vehicle.... something of a LeMons car.... ( dunno, we will see about that)

Your ride is looking like it will breathe again before mine....I will have to take notes on what works well for you and what doesnt...see if I can learn something key...

What I REALLY need is a set of pedals from a manual car. The 2dr is an auto, and i wont drive one, (i dont know how....lol)

i cant drive an auto either, always going for that petal that isnt there damn near killed my ex when i drove her to woodland, went for the clutch and grabbed the brake O_O

I've had someone tell me it needs rescued from living on the coast already.... for now it is a suspension/parts rebuild donor... wagon has to be "smoggable" by early 2014, so I may decide to attempt a reviva of the 2dr before then.... we will have to see how it goes. What I REALLY need is a set of pedals from a manual car. The 2dr is an auto, and i wont drive one, (i dont know how....lol)

Other suggestions I have been getting about the 2dr involve making it a low budget track vehicle.... something of a LeMons car.... ( dunno, we will see about that)

Your ride is looking like it will breathe again before mine....I will have to take notes on what works well for you and what doesnt...see if I can learn something key...

well if you need a set of pedals just let me know when cause i got an extra set, i will keep you posted on all the advances and hopefully i will get to drive it this year

thanks its really low tho and they have extremely shitty roads with huge speed bumps so it might go up a bit but it makes me smile when my car touches the earth

Get adjustable coilovers for the front. You can purchase the perch,spring and shorter strut and install it on your stock struts ( to save money over "Z" struts, also if you want to stick to your 13 in wheels, cause I think Z struts can not hold 13s.) and with blocks on the rear, you will be able to raise an inch or 2 your suspension to suit the roads. Low and mean when wanted, taller and safer when needed.

Shifty. What backspace numbers did you use on your front and rear wheels? I could get a set made for my ride, but would appreciate your numbers for starters.

In the past I have made some stretchies but w/o actually checking in on backspace, ending out with sticking ( out) wheels which is not my style.

Yours look great. Share your recipe.

Cheers

It's 13X8.5 2" backspacing ®

13X8.0 2" backspacing (F)

what i usually do is i bolt the stock steel wheel on and measure from the lip of the wheel to the wheel arch and i take that measurement and i add it to the steely

i pretty much make the measurement with a ruler and something flat

thanks I've really digging my widened steelies

oh i somewhat followed the recommendation about painting the brackets but i did it with grey but might let them rust up abit since the new paint would look strange when everything else is faded and rusty

DSC04426.jpg

DSC04427.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
DSC04328.jpg

just waiting on a motor and some fender flares ! :)

Looking nice.  Need good suspension in order to drive it like that, or else you are going to rub tires and wobble all over.  What is the final tire/wheel combinations ( front and rear ) now that you have all four wheels and tires in place ?

i cant remember i got it written down somewhere but they are basiclly the stock wheels with a hoop welded on to the outside i think if i remember right i added 4 inches but the backspacing stays the same as stock

If you are using low profile or else stretched tires then you can add 1.5 in to the inside , moving the wheel inside more. You would be adding 2.5 to the outside and 1.5 inside instead of 4.0 all outside. ( talking about the rear wheels. Area between wheel and leaf spring.)

If you are using low profile or else stretched tires then you can add 1.5 in to the inside , moving the wheel inside more. You would be adding 2.5 to the outside and 1.5 inside instead of 4.0 all outside. ( talking about the rear wheels. Area between wheel and leaf spring.)

Looking nice.  Need good suspension in order to drive it like that, or else you are going to rub tires and wobble all over.  What is the final tire/wheel combinations ( front and rear ) now that you have all four wheels and tires in place ?

well the rear suspension is leaf and i have modified them to be stiffer and almost flat  but is isnt going to rub but it doesnt have a rear sway bar yet but it will :). The front is just cut spring, but soon i am going to but coilover set up with camber plates and negative roll center adjusters

specs

Front is 13X8.5 with a 175 70 r13  stock backspacing

Rear is  13X10 with a 185 60 r13  stock backspacing

( the rear is using a 2 inch fender flare)

i have loaded the car up with weight and moved it to see if it rubs the tires and it does but only on the front. I think that i will go negative camber and roll the fender lip it should be fine.

The only other thing that scrapes is the chin spoiler when im coming out of my driveway