DIY Sound Deadening and Carpet. RATSUN Style.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention doing the roof helps too, the ping from rain was driving me nuts till I did the truck cab completely. I used Dynamat, but I got it for 30% of cost due to I drank scotch with one of the sales reps pretty regular at the time. ;) Another trick is using under coat spray and insulation inside the pillars and other open cavities in the kick panel areas and extra layer of padding on the firewall and wheel wells. Then some light insulation in between the headliner and roof as well. Closed cell foam is ok if it isn't the heavy dense kind, the softer the better. Damn fine write up and doing it on a Ratsun budget is a plus. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

fuck yeah ... bananan set me over her a few ago ... this is awesome work dude....please share what center console that is ......but seriously nice job ... i been a dynamat fan for years and i just gave up on them... that shit ges brttle and peels up and the peel and seal stuff is easy o put on and stays on ....plus it is way more flexable.....just dont get the adhesive onanything other than where your putting it...its a sticky mess..

Thanks!

It's a 92-95 civic console. I guess the armrest style is kinda rare?? Most of them come with the low back part, the same but no armrest and storage cubby. It was the only armrest one at Pick-n-Pull out of like ten civics.

i was thinking thats what it looked like.....i been searching for a integra or cvic or something...with a e brake opening to put a ebrake handle in and i would like cup holders too......yours looks perfect in there..i am doing our own carpet now ... i always use alot of jute for deadening...my goon will be the first car i havent used dynamat on ... im just not happy with the long term of dynamat...

It has pop up cup holders in the front. They are just off right now cause I havd to peice them together from the junkyard. Will put them on when I get a new shift boot. That way I only have to pull it off once.

I was desperately needing cup holders.

oh dave yor such a copy cat .......i accept your apology and think its only right u send me your console for the way u made me feel ripping off my idea word for word...

did that work, do u feel guilty ... at least guilty enough to send me the black console...hahahahah prolly not...

What's your plans for routing the e-brake cable past the driveshaft?

I'm going to use a Lokar universal e-brake cable set-up. The top of the tunnel will be recessed slightly and the cables run out to the rear discs on the very top, inside the tunnel. The driveshaft location is roughly 1" below the top of the tunnel at the brake handle location. I'll need no more than 1/2" to install lever and cables.

The Lokar cables are small in diameter, around 5/16" so they can be routed over the rear cross member and out to the wheels. I'll be using EDP brackets w/Maxima calipers and coil overs, so getting past the OE springs isn't a big issue. This is the plan at this time. the back-up plan is to run the cables on top of the tunnel and drop then thru the floor below the back seat (which will be a flat cargo area in this car, because it has a roll bar)

The whole car is a work in progress (a slow one) so I have been collecting parts and working on things very slowly. I am in the engine bay cleaning things up right now.

Hey jrock, not one fiber of guilt being felt here, sorry. :console:

I'm going to use a Lokar universal e-brake cable set-up. The top of the tunnel will be recessed slightly and the cables run out to the rear discs on the very top, inside the tunnel. The driveshaft location is roughly 1" below the top of the tunnel at the brake handle location. I'll need no more than 1/2" to install lever and cables.

Hey jrock, not one fiber of guilt being felt here, sorry. :console:

show off :sneaky:

......thanks for the reference pics though guys i now know the exact peiece and car it came from .. .i appreciate the ground work....off to look for some push button start parts...

• 1 month later...

Thanks vintagerice, im in the process of doing this interior setup in my 521... ive been using those same finishing washers for a long time now, but i get the next size larger washer for a more flush appearance and i use allen head...

Overkill, I know... in the 521 which will have lots of noises LOL! Gonna need all the temperature/sound insulation possible.

not done yet either.

(pic hosted on facebook, idk if it will show up)

599865_10151270454448858_933020069_n.jpg

I did the same... but, I did two layers...

2012-09-12_18-53-02_92.jpg

2012-09-12_21-20-04_251.jpg

Ran out of deadening thought...

2012-09-13_18-15-04_431.jpg

• 3 weeks later...