DIY Sound Deadening and Carpet. RATSUN Style.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the entire interior of my t100 with peel and seal two years ago. Drive it everyday and I have never had an issue with smell or adhesion even with our high desert summers (sustained temps of over 100 for weeks at a time) just sayin, I will be using it again on the dato ;)

• 2 weeks later...

if you can afford it, an even better method is liquid nitrogen, and its alot cheaper than you think, usually $5 a liter and you have to have a dewar to hold it, those are around 50-100$

For short periods a large styrofoam chest also works.

Or stainless steel thermos bottles, that's what dermatologist's offices use when the foam coffee cup is too small.

I've used one of these at work for holding liquid nitrogen before, just drill some holes in the top cap to vent. Just don't use a glass lined one, they only last about 5-6 times before the glass shatters.

yea i have heard of people using a thermos, whatever you use you gotta make sure you put a hole in it as dguy210 said. otherwise you have a nasty bomb on your hands, as the nitrogen boils ultra slow and puts off nitrogen gas it will build alot of pressure. the other thing you have to be careful with is when you use a few liters of it on a car floor you should wear a respirator, or just be careful, cause the nitrogen will displace air, its called inert gas asphyxiation, very dangerous, just be careful and you will be fine if your gonna try it, like anything its not dangerous if given the respect it deserves.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

So an update. I laid down the Useal from home depot along with the carpet padding they sell in the hardwood floor section. Then I layed down some carpet I got out of a 94 S-10. I also put U seal inside my doors. I can now hear my radio at a much lower volume. The wife rode in it and shes happy we can now carry on a conversation at normal voice level!

Do it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Suggestion. 25% coverage on the roof with the butyl, with closed cell foam over that overlapped by 1/2" to create a continuous barrier.  The roof is a huge sound transmitter.  You can also put extruded butyl tape between the crash panels and outer skin of the doors; this splits it into 2 smaller panels and brings down the resonating frequency from a tinny sound to a dull thud.  Then 25% coverage of the split panels.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I've used one of these at work for holding liquid nitrogen before, just drill some holes in the top cap to vent. Just don't use a glass lined one, they only last about 5-6 times before the glass shatters.

2 holes!  One bent above the cap at an angle for the outlet, below the liquid Nitrogen level, the second well above the fluid level,  To use, put your index finger over the vertical [above the liquid level] tube and let the pressure from the transpiring/sublimitating N2 liquid build up enough pressure to expel liquid N2 onto what I hope the hell you intended to freeze.