I want a Z

cdub42

Wow that's a lot of work in a short time. Sounds like a strong motor, great work!

Come to think of it, yeah. That is a lot for three days. I have to give credit to some of my very talented friends who pitched in to help.

Brett; fellow aircraft mechanic, big herb; diesel mechanic, and mark; motorcycle mechanic. Couldn't have done it without them.

Day one was teardown. Day two was cleaning and painting. That was probably the hardest. The tedious scrubbing and cleaning of 42 years of grease and road grime. The meticulous prepping and masking. Day three was bolt all the smaller peices together to make bigger peices, and putting the car back together.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She's doin good. She has been spending a lot of time in the garage. I don't use her as my daily driver. I clock 500 miles a week to and from work. Had it out a few weekends ago when it was 80+ out and started having vapor lock really bad. I'm going to change the fuel routing when I have time.

• Like 1

So if it only likes warm weather, i heard it was going to be 75 degrees in a little town in Oregon next weekend ,, ,,  you remember the name of the town don`t you??   No it`s not frickin Zihuatanejo,,,,,,,,,, that`s a different movie man.

It`s Canby,,  yes Canby Oregon and i heard there was going to be a large amount of other Datsun type vehicles in attendance . You should go , all the kids are doing it.

Good to see a few post from you man

My new job is beating me to death with hours and the commute. I barely check my email or Facebook. I WILL be rolling to canby for the weekend tho. I wish my truck was running cause its better suited for a camping trip than the Z.

I'll try to get on here more often.

I'm always conflicted with camping lol. My X is built for it but there are always great driving roads where I camp. Is it like that with Canby? 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

well, its been a while since i posted anything on here. the only thing ive done with my Z since my last post was drive the piss outta it. i scored a coil of defective (not meet ing aerospace quality) bulb seal. i got enough to do both doors and the hatch. yay me! 

null_zps86e1bed5.jpg

null_zps0e2bf7f8.jpg

null_zps24d1322b.jpg

i managed to get the drivers side door done today. i need to get a channel clip for the bottom and some screws for my new door sills. 

• 4 months later...

someone decided to play a jokie joke on me and set my plug wires 180 out.. i spent the better part of a day figuring out my dizzy is already 180 out. last time i changed my plug wires i did it one at a time and gave it no more thought beyond that. i used this as an opportunity to upgrade my ignition system. i already had the XR-700 box installed. i added a MSD blaster 2 coil. i went with MSD wires because i didn't like the stock routing of the wires. over the valve cover just bothers me for some reason. i decided to go around the front of the valve cover instead. 

IMG_2152_zpse20dd41b.jpg

this was my first idea. i had just mocked it up to gauge wire length and see how it looked. i asked around on here about this causing misfire issues.... then promptly went back to the drawing board. 

IMG_2155_zpsc4d18098.jpg

i ended up with this setup. i got a set of V8 valve cover wire guides and modifying them to be straight 6 wire guides. i think i like this look better. 

IMG_2150_zps382e12c9.jpg

i tied up the ends to kinda hold them in place. i ended up cutting them a long so i can still hit the right holes when i un-180 my dizzy. then ill just cut the ends and re crimp new ends at the right length. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

so, after a hiatus of posting anything on ratsun, but still lurking... i figured today would be a good day to post something. i just ordered a set of carbs from ZT. can't wait till they get here. ill do some pictures and posts and crap when they show up... i was told 2-3 weeks... OMG it seems like sooooooo long away

• 2 weeks later...

scored a set of N36 intakes yesterday. those should go nicely with my new carbs (if they ever get here) 

took em to work and started breaking them down and cleaning them up. start the port and polish process. 

1AE63C95-242F-432A-9769-E13A5742EDD3_zps

rusty and crusty goodness

A4CA4E27-6328-420C-83C7-2B119C358654_zps

the coolant line is seized inlace. the nuts started stripping off, so.... out comes the cutting wheel

DE5F3742-7EC6-4868-839F-77BCA9696F2E_zps

cut the tubes off the fittings, ill soak the fittings with penetriant and give them a go tomorrow

IMG_4469_zpse50c7506.jpg

into the media blaster... 

3D9BDB3F-874F-4C74-A3B4-27017110F1E4_zps

boogers inside

27C74BD5-2877-4551-B111-23822C99F39E_zps

rotary carbide file on a pencil grinder knocks the boogers down

6510DA95-4A28-413A-914C-A80B649DD6D7_zps

some 80 grit, 150 grit, and scotchbrite love later... 

• Like 1