I want a Z

cdub42

^^^ yeah I keep forgetting about the 3.90 R180 front diff's in the 720 4x4's ... derr derrrrrrr on me :lol:

That's def a cheaper option many times as well ( if budget )

don't cave in dude :rofl: ( they're probably fine though ) :)

Forgive me cdub ... I re-read your build thread and can't find a reference if you have an L24/L26/L28 ? ( sorry about that I'm kinda retarded that way !! )

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

L24 with E88 head

that's what I thought !! we have same the head/block :D

You're pretty much right on ! (later zx( 5th is possibly .. going to be to deep for your stock L24 .. unless spinning 3-4k-ish.

If the suckers gonna lug on ya in 5th that badly ... I'd pretty much stick with 4th as you well know :)

I stay in 4th most the time on the freeway even with a 5spd as far the stocker L24 is concerned.

unless tripple dcoe's are added lol

2,800-3,200 ish (transition) is sweet spot for me 240z on freeway :) ... scoot along now and then :devil:

I use Chevron gas as well :)

55 in 4th isn't bad. its the habit of shifting to fifth thats the bitch. id like to throw the headers on this weekend.... but it isn't looking like things are gonna line up for me to spend that much time in my garage... and I'm gone to oregon next weekend. dammit. i think the webers are gonna be a few months down the road at the least,

I have a later zx 5 speed in my s30 with my built l28. Idk what rear your running but for my 3.54 its too low, thats with 200+hp. Not that I have dynoed since the build but since my exedy/spec combo is slipping at anything over 5k its safe to say lol.

I can do like 75 in 5th at 2500 lol. I cant wait to get a 3.9 and pep it up.

The trans is not a late ZX trans,,, guaranteed.

... Did you ever try the clutch slave rod out of your truck ?? maybe that would help...If it lugs in fifth then drive it in 4th damn-it!! When you get-er rollin at 75 south of Chehalis on the I5 you`ll be glad to have those extra legs man,, and not be passed by smart cars and such cuz your gearing is to low..

The trans is not a late ZX trans,,, guaranteed.

... Did you ever try the clutch slave rod out of your truck ?? maybe that would help...If it lugs in fifth then drive it in 4th damn-it!! When you get-er rollin at 75 south of Chehalis on the I5 you`ll be glad to have those extra legs man,, and not be passed by smart cars and such cuz your gearing is to low..

the slave cyl rod from the truck is still sitting on my bench. ill probably get it in there tomorrow. I'm looking forward to next weekend to stretch that fifth gear out on I5 southbound. fuck them smart cars and them prius driving basdards anyways

• 2 weeks later...

the real kick is it happened as i was pulling into my driveway. i couldn't find anything out there that did the damage. it wasn't spontaneous failure. what ever tore a hole in my tire is still lurking out there. i looked for ten minutes, then sent all the kids out there to look for it. went to all the tire stores today. they stopped making that tire 9 years ago and they where amazed i had a set that where brand new. so i either can run a mismatched set of tires...which to me would be like living with a permanent sock wedgie... or buy new tires. cause i have an extra 500 just laying around... right? im running the mesh rims off my parts car right now. i think they look hideous. the tires are too tall IMHO. and there is barely 1/4" between the sidewall and the shock/coils. I'm just waiting to take a turn and have my sidewall flex and cut a tire. i got to put 400 miles on that car this weekend to go see my kids. really thinking about putting my 620 back together and parking the Z for the time being. which sucks cause the 620 is not the finest car to spent 7 hours on the interstate with.null-12.jpg

Mis matched ,,as in tire size or tire manufacturer ?? If it`s size your worryed about i have one or two tires in my garages and could look through them and see what i come up with..If you need them to be all the same manufacturer ,,well ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you show join Hybrid-Z :fu:

But i would need the tire size to do so.. and maybe a picture of maker of tire... there are others on here that hoard and scrap cars and maybe they would have one also..

Didn't those rims you show in picture have a rather large dent in the backside ,,that would make them shake your teeth out??

If you want the truck shifter handle , just roll by the shack...

my wife could hand you the truck shifter if you want it,, it`s up on the shelf in the kitchen..Rather than taking the Z apart

mismatched both. i ended up going to the tire factory in yelm. they are good ppl there. i got two slightly bigger new/used ones and had them put on back. they said that tire was made 9 years ago and discontinued, and they where amazed i had a new set, and noted how crappy it was to have a cut sidewall on a really nice matched oldskool looking set of tires. oh well. I'm driving a sock wedge.

yeah, those mesh rims where sketchy. if someone wanted to put the time into them to fix them, they could be really nice. there was/is clearance issues between the sidewall and the shock tower. when i took them off there were no rub marks on the tire, but I'm sure if i woulda dove hard into a corner i would have cut a sidewall.

i think i might swing by your place on my way home. either sunday or monday, haven't decided. ill give you a call when i cross the state line. ill see if i can't have the shifter machined into something creative. its getting old having a twenty inch throw between gears.

• 2 weeks later...

DOOOOD!

Your on here every morning before work and you carry that god forsaken ZooeyDeschanel it looks like rain outside ( yeah no shit bitch ,, the rain on the windows should have been your first clue)) talk to you son-a-ma bitching phone every wheres you go,,,, which by the way i believe to be a sign of the coming apocalypes,,,,but i digress,,,, and you can`t find one second of your day to take a picture of you damn car,, or truck???

A little part of me dies every morning i come here and see no pictures..

:poke:

:P

Oh hey,, why i came here in the first place was ,,,we should do breakfast or early lunch on the weekend sometime in November...Maybe closer to Oly so some of these other douchebags on here might come....Somewhere cheeeep.

• Like 1

damn, looks like i got called out! ill get some pictures after work today. i got the Z tucked in the garage for the winter. i havent got a door seal kit, or deck lid kit yet. water just pours through both. since its gonna be off the road for a while, itll give me the chance to do some things to it i been putting off for just this occasion. im gonna put one of the headers i have on it, havent decided which one yet. im gonna drop the tranny off of it and put a new clutch in it, then a pilot bushing in the flywheel. might have it machined to drop some weight off it. not 100% sure on that one. havent done my homework yet. and when i get that far, i might just as well pull the whole motor out. steam clean it and shine it up. throw some paint on the block. not sure if i wanna go factory teal or some god awful honduh inspired color. id like to clean that engine bay really good and probably paint it flat black. it just looks dingy under there. i gotta get a bushing made for my gear shifter and find a new pin for it. im one short. i got bolts holding my shifter in the 620 together, and after thats all done and if im feeling REALLY motivated, sand out the blemishes in the paint and spray some fresh on it. that whaletail is still on my back burner, but its gonna need a bit of work before ill hang it.

your right about the cell phone thing. just go to the mall and watch the kids walking around on their phones. its a dirty teeshirt and bad smell away from being something out of the dawn of the dead.

we should most definatly get together sometime soon. my weekends are booked up for the next three weeks tho.

Those meshies don't look bad at all on your z :console: ( granted a damaged wheel or clearance issue would be a problem errrrr )

You can use machined spacers if you wish. I had 10mm on the front of my 240z for extra strut/spring clearance.

I honestly prefer to stay away from spacers as much as possible when possible , but sometimes it's neccessary.

Are the meshie's tires 205/60/14 ? 195/60/14 are a touch small , wide enough , and a lot of fun :lol: :D ( sidewall won't be as tall as your pic )

Any less sidewall in this pic for the size of the rim (14" mini-lite's) then ...I would think it would start to look .. well .. different.

97d058dd.png

• 1 month later...

its been a while since i posted anything on here. ill throw down an update.

i had planned on keeping the Z car in the garage all during the winter wet season cause i knew for sure id develop electrical issues in the washington weather. and it would exacerbate any rust issues that i already had. i was gonna strip it down and POR the interior, pull the motor.. steam clean it, dress the engine bay, paint the motor and throw my headers on there, shave the flywheel, new clutch and new dif. just all around give the thing a few months of TLC so when i roll it out in spring itll be perfect. that didnt happen. fifth gear in my 620 fell off. so i was gonna just drive the Z a little longer and drive my big bad burban more. i live the burban but its a whore for fuel... 496 big block in a 8500 lbs truck whore for fuel. well, that didnt happen either. the tires on the burban decided to start separating. dammit. so the Z became my daily driver. i drove it to go see my kids every other weekend.. 400 miles round trip on the interstate. drove it to work everyday through the rains. then one day my tail lights quit. the left blinker works, the right blinker blinks all of them, the 4 way flashers work, the headlights work and the brake lights work. but when i turn on the headlights or the running lights, they dont come on. the headlights work with out a fuse in the block. when i install a fuse, and trun the headlights off the fuse doesnt just pop... it explodes! then last monday on my way to work the car starts losing power and chokes to death. after missing a day of work and towing the thing back home i found the fuel pump quit. when i bench check it it works properly, and when i checked the wires all the way through they are sound (surprisingly). but when everything is hooked up as it should be it dont work. i spent 2 weeks dissecting the electrical system in that car trying to figure it out. everytime i looked someplace new for the problem, i found several things wring. wires randomly spliced.. bad grounds, burnt wires, and other strange things. the more i fixed, the more i found, and the original problem remains. so there my Z car sits, in my garage, wires everywhere. im ready to rip out every wire in that car and rewire the whole thing. only thing stopping me at this point is i cant afford a ten circuit GM wire harness right now. the wiring diagram in the FSM sucks. and i suck at electrical. i can cut an airplane in half and put it back together. i build prototype composites with engineering dispositions like nobodys business... but ask me to troubleshoot a simple electrical system? my brain starts to melt.. almost like the wires in my car. i got a new 5 speed for my 620 and will be swapping it in this weekend. im thinkin i wanna pull the motor and tranny as one and swap the tranny out of the truck. while its out i wanna clean and paint my engine bay and motor. nothing fancy, just a bit of dress up.

Maybe the tire failed because it was 9 years old? That sucks about the wiring. It sucks to even read about it. What would you say the moral of the story is on the wiring? I bet you can get replacement wiring harnesses on z-car sites. Im confident you can remove them and install replacements with a lot less headache. Then again, you may be surprised what you can accomplish when desperate. Ive got a wiring mess to deal with on one of mine too. I have been putting it off for years.

yeah. the tires on the burban are old. but have almost half their tread still! its not like i take the thing off road... ever. its 100% pavement princess. its mission in life is to haul 4 kids, two adults and two dogs with all their gear for a week off in the woods while towing a boat. its too expensive to use as a daily driver. gets all of 8 mpg in the city empty. but damnit if that thing isnt one of the fastest cars ive ever owned. seriously. it would eat my camaro off the line. theres something christmas morning awesome about a truck that big and heavy that can put you back in your seat.

the moral of the story about wiring? im not sure yet.. the story isnt over. so far id say the moral would be "dont let anyone who hasn't advanced past reading Dr. Seuss wire things into your car"

ive been looking for replacements, keep an eye out for me tho.

your right about the desperation..lol i manually closed the brake indicator circuit to give the illusion of working running lights for my 5 am drive to work.

the way the car was wired from the factory just drives me nuts anyways. no headlamp relay? a common ground for everything? the whole thing wrapped in electrical tape? its like the electrical system was designed as a highschool shop class project. but my 620 is the same way. instead of running all the bulbs paralell they where serial and through the turn signal switch. i had one break light go out while it still preformed all its other shared functions. traced it to a bad contact in the turn signal switch. that was another several week long fight. i ended up completely removing the chassis harness from the dash back and rebuilding it... which did nothing besides waste time and money.. before i just started taking things apart at nearly random

If you find a harness that you would rather replace, look for a tag with a part number on it. A simple harness may all be the same, but a dash harness will have the tag. Once you have that number, we can talk to suppliers. I feel the same way about wiring.

I'll have a dash harness soon but not immediately. I have a 73 and 72 Idk which I'm going to use when I swap dashes. You can prob find one prior but it doesnt hurt to have options.